NYT: Trump Asked Comey to End Flynn Investigation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:29:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYT: Trump Asked Comey to End Flynn Investigation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21
Author Topic: NYT: Trump Asked Comey to End Flynn Investigation  (Read 29524 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: May 16, 2017, 09:43:19 PM »

It's a bad time for America.

Democrats should not be giddy, Hillary Clinton had tons of baggage and a Hillary Clinton presidency would have been slow of legislative accomplishments as well.

America is facing it's consequences.

Bronz.  Who can unite the country right now?

Someone like John Kasich. Clinton, Obama, Booker, Rubio can't unite America.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #351 on: May 16, 2017, 09:45:56 PM »

Not to live up to my user name, but Bernie's the most popular politician in the country rn.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #352 on: May 16, 2017, 09:47:43 PM »

Legit question, not a partisan hack-type thing:

Is it considered obstruction of justice if he just asked Comey to stop without doing anything?
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #353 on: May 16, 2017, 09:49:46 PM »

Is it considered obstruction of justice if he just asked Comey to stop without doing anything?

Stop what? There was nothing to stop except the investigation.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #354 on: May 16, 2017, 09:52:01 PM »

Actually legally no he would of been fine just unethical but the problem for Cheeto is him firing Comey on top of it does paint it as obstruction of justice
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #355 on: May 16, 2017, 09:52:12 PM »

Probably, because he wasn't asking as a friend, he was asking as the POTUS. If he was using his office to try and stop the investigation, it's more than just an utterance. The memo will lend a lot more clarity though.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #356 on: May 16, 2017, 09:52:40 PM »

Stop what? There was nothing to stop except the investigation.
That's what I meant. Sorry bout that.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #357 on: May 16, 2017, 09:54:36 PM »

The request alone likely qualifies as obstruction of justice, but combined with his actual firing of Comey after the fact would certainly qualify.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #358 on: May 16, 2017, 09:55:15 PM »

Democrats should not be giddy, Hillary Clinton had tons of baggage and a Hillary Clinton presidency would have been slow of legislative accomplishments as well.

Hillary Clinton is completely irrelevant to whether Trump told Comey to stop investigating Flynn.

Talking about Clinton is all they have at this point.

I didn't vote for him. I'm just pointing out that her presidency would have been scandal-tarred by now.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #359 on: May 16, 2017, 10:03:17 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2017, 10:10:43 PM by Yank2133 »

Hillary Clinton is completely irrelevant to whether Trump told Comey to stop investigating Flynn.

I didn't vote for him. I'm just pointing out that her presidency would have been scandal-tarred by now.

Stop with the "bothsides" bullsh**t.

We aren't having this daily chaos if Clinton was in office.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #360 on: May 16, 2017, 10:05:27 PM »

We aren't having this daily chaos if Clinton was office.

Yeah this is getting old "moderates."

GOP extremism is lynching effigies of Obama with signs depicting the n-word.

Democratic extremism is asking for our elections to be free and fair...
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #361 on: May 16, 2017, 10:05:47 PM »

What in the living hell?

https://twitter.com/gaywonk/status/864654037471424512?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2Fr%2Fpolitics%2Fcomments%2F6bh2ke%2Fmegathread_trump_tweets_defense_of_classified%2F
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #362 on: May 16, 2017, 10:11:06 PM »

Bronz, we're discussing whether or not Donald Trump, the sitting president, straight-up committed a federal crime in hist first months of being in office. Hillary has nothing to do with this, and your false equivalence "both candidates were equally flawed" shtick has no relevance to the topic at hand.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #363 on: May 16, 2017, 10:12:05 PM »

Watching Fox News compare the  Comey Memo to "Mean Girls" in defense of Trump is making me go:

Fox should stop trying to make fetch happen.

It's not gonna happen.

Touche
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #364 on: May 16, 2017, 10:13:33 PM »

Go tuck yourself Carlson
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #365 on: May 16, 2017, 10:13:48 PM »

Watching Fox News compare the  Comey Memo to "Mean Girls" in defense of Trump is making me go:

Fox should stop trying to make fetch happen.

It's not gonna happen.

Touche

At least, one of my Mean Girls jokes works, in context
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #366 on: May 16, 2017, 10:15:52 PM »

She would have brought Huma Abedin, Cheryl Mills to the WH. Come on. It's sad. Had she won, it would have been wise for her to distance herself from them.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #367 on: May 16, 2017, 10:17:36 PM »

She would have brought Huma Abedin, Cheryl Mills to the WH. Come on. It's sad. Had she won, it would have been wise for her to distance herself from them.

The point they are making isn't that her WH would have been scandal free--it wouldn't have. It's that she probably wouldn't have leaked our allies secrets to our enemies, tried to end a federal investigation into said enemy's interference in our election, and constantly tweet stupid and crass comments.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #368 on: May 16, 2017, 10:20:59 PM »

The point they are making isn't that her WH would have been scandal free--it wouldn't have. It's that she probably wouldn't have leaked our allies secrets to our enemies, tried to end a federal investigation into said enemy's interference in our election, and constantly tweet stupid and crass comments.

Exactly.

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #369 on: May 16, 2017, 10:26:00 PM »

PS: But are they also covering this story, or just ignoring it altogether ?

the evening nightmare of propaganda is only handling this through "banners" which are not directly part of the shows themselves.

the debunked DNC murder story is for example hannity's lead right now.

Unbelievable !
Why would anyone watch this channel for "news" ?
We have a major national story, and instead, Fox plays like an ostrich (put your head in the sand and ignore everything around you).
There you go ..... instead of "Fox" News, they need to change their official name to "Ostrich News."

People watch Faux (I cannot bring my self to believe the name isn't deliberate on some level) News not in order to be informed, but as a palliative for the cognitive dissonance that comes with being Republican, being conservative, being religious, being a Trump supporter, or just being unable to adapt, while still needing to live in the rapidly changing world we all inhabit.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #370 on: May 16, 2017, 10:30:12 PM »

PS: But are they also covering this story, or just ignoring it altogether ?

the evening nightmare of propaganda is only handling this through "banners" which are not directly part of the shows themselves.

the debunked DNC murder story is for example hannity's lead right now.

Unbelievable !
Why would anyone watch this channel for "news" ?
We have a major national story, and instead, Fox plays like an ostrich (put your head in the sand and ignore everything around you).
There you go ..... instead of "Fox" News, they need to change their official name to "Ostrich News."

People watch Faux (I cannot bring my self to believe the name isn't deliberate on some level) News not in order to be informed, but as a palliative for the cognitive dissonance that comes with being Republican, being conservative, being religious, being a Trump supporter, or just being unable to adapt, while still needing to live in the rapidly changing world we all inhabit.

YAASSSSSSS! This is the truth my people, and I read a fascinating article today in the Journal of International Communication about how it's pointless to even engage these people. They are lost causes. However, getting people hooked on diverse media early on can be really beneficial to forming those political opinions that later get baked in.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #371 on: May 16, 2017, 10:32:51 PM »

So let me understand this. Mike Flynn is under investigation and is currently facing a grand jury. His counts include not disclosing Russian business work and Turkish work as part of his vetting. He has extensive ties to Russia. The president asked the FBI director to drop the investigation on this man (who almost certainly will be indicted).

How does this work out? After all if Flynn is convicted then I don't see how this doesn't end up bringing down Trump for a clear obstruction of justice.

Am I right on the facts?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #372 on: May 16, 2017, 11:12:15 PM »

So let me understand this. Mike Flynn is under investigation and is currently facing a grand jury. His counts include not disclosing Russian business work and Turkish work as part of his vetting. He has extensive ties to Russia. The president asked the FBI director to drop the investigation on this man (who almost certainly will be indicted).

How does this work out? After all if Flynn is convicted then I don't see how this doesn't end up bringing down Trump for a clear obstruction of justice.

Am I right on the facts?

Bringing Trump down requires impeachment and removal, which requires Republican cooperation in Congress. It's the latter part that seems unlikely in most scenarios.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #373 on: May 16, 2017, 11:31:55 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2017, 11:33:58 PM by Virginia »

Corey Lewandowski - aka Trump's least scandalous campaign manager - is atm in the WH

and sorry if this is getting old but since it's blowing my mind....

Ironically, as Republicans tried to say all Democrats wanted to do is talk about bathrooms, it is now conservative pundit(s) who only seem to want to talk about dirty bathrooms at penn station when their party's presidency is imploding in the background Roll Eyes
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #374 on: May 16, 2017, 11:44:22 PM »

Am I right on the facts?

Bringing Trump down requires impeachment and removal, which requires Republican cooperation in Congress. It's the latter part that seems unlikely in most scenarios.

I'm curious how they spin the whole Trump trying to get a FBI investigation of a compromised NSA with Russian ties killed, yes. That seems sort of the stuff that gets you obliterated as a political party. Comey has the written documents and other memorandums. Trump doesn't. More ever Trump intentionally did this by asking Sessions and Pence to leave the room to talk to Comey.

Needless to say I would not want to defend that for the next one year. Plus the other memorandums Comey wrote.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies