NYT: Trump Asked Comey to End Flynn Investigation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:42:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYT: Trump Asked Comey to End Flynn Investigation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21
Author Topic: NYT: Trump Asked Comey to End Flynn Investigation  (Read 29310 times)
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: May 16, 2017, 11:55:20 PM »

Since there are other memorandums I will point out it is strange Trump placed himself in legal jeopardy for Flynn. Yates told us that Flynn was seriously compromised by the Russians and tried to warn the White House but was fired for it. In fact if it weren't for the Washington Post Flynn would've remained NSA! Flynn remained at NSA 14 days after the Yates warning.

Aside from the optics looking hideous the big question is why did Donald Trump go to such extents to protect Flynn? He routinely throws other people under the bus  and thinks nothing of making them look stupid. But he's had an especial affinity for Flynn. In March he said Flynn should take immunity on Twitter.

I'm not ready to say Russia has kompromat on the God Emperor. But it is looking very very bad without further explanation of what's going on.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #376 on: May 17, 2017, 12:00:22 AM »

What will be really important is the Republican reaction immediately following Comey's potential public testimony. If he states publicly, under oath, what this memo says, then we will have a clearer understanding of what is to come. Assuming there are no tapes of the encounter, the questions are:
1. Will they take Comey's word over Trump's?
2. Will they consider that obstruction of justice?
3. Will they consider that an impeachable offense?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #377 on: May 17, 2017, 12:10:09 AM »

PS: But are they also covering this story, or just ignoring it altogether ?

the evening nightmare of propaganda is only handling this through "banners" which are not directly part of the shows themselves.

the debunked DNC murder story is for example hannity's lead right now.

Hilariously the source he got basically recanted the story WHILE he was on Hannity's program.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #378 on: May 17, 2017, 12:11:31 AM »

What will be really important is the Republican reaction immediately following Comey's potential public testimony. If he states publicly, under oath, what this memo says, then we will have a clearer understanding of what is to come. Assuming there are no tapes of the encounter, the questions are:
1. Will they take Comey's word over Trump's?
2. Will they consider that obstruction of justice?
3. Will they consider that an impeachable offense?

This suggests strongly Comey expected this to all become public. The article from Comey's allies imply that he documented this with an intent for public dissemination. You'll notice Comey did not leak classified material here to the NYT.

I do not think James Comey did this idly. He did this with the full intention of getting these memos out. Which means we're about to see an epic showdown between Comey and Trump.

It also means Comey had more information. He deliberately wants to testify in public because he has information he wants to share under oath. And I think he worried about the FBI investigation enough to take this rare step. They clearly have access to the memos.

Trumps public credibility is zero. The whole 50%+1 of the country opposing him is going to make it very hard for him to be given a chance to explain himself. His approval rating is crashing badly and the public doesn't believe he is honest.

Oh yeah his agenda is dead too. We'll see what happens now but as I said Comey didn't come into this fight without a plan and Trump, well, you see the last 10 days.
EnglishPete

« Reply #379 on: May 17, 2017, 01:27:14 AM »

The Comey Memos have now been found and can be exclusively published here

The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #380 on: May 17, 2017, 01:47:21 AM »

Sad!
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #381 on: May 17, 2017, 02:01:03 AM »

Wow!
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #382 on: May 17, 2017, 02:45:19 AM »

Damning if true.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #383 on: May 17, 2017, 03:23:55 AM »

Horrible if true. But I don’t understand, if true, why Trump is that dumb. He should have known that such a request is illegal and has the potential to throw him out of office. I mean, almost every user on here wouldn’t make such a mistake in the president’s position.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #384 on: May 17, 2017, 03:39:55 AM »

Horrible if true. But I don’t understand, if true, why Trump is that dumb. He should have known that such a request is illegal and has the potential to throw him out of office. I mean, almost every user on here wouldn’t make such a mistake in the president’s position.

I think at this point Trump genuinely thinks he's above the law and that he can strong-arm people into doing what he wants without consequences. He's had so many controversies that resulted in literally nothing happening so far (since day one of his campaign) that he probably thinks this is just another of them.

Plus with GOP in control of Congress, he may as well be above the law at the moment anyway.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #385 on: May 17, 2017, 03:50:17 AM »
« Edited: May 17, 2017, 03:59:10 AM by I Won - Get Over It »

He was expressing the hope. It was not a request (technically). And I doubt that it would be illegal even if he made such a request.

However it is highly improper if the description is correct. Trump is and have been playing with fire while testing the boundaries. So far he has managed to NOT get burned.

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #386 on: May 17, 2017, 04:02:44 AM »

Trump is always convinced that he is right and everbody who thinks otherwise is wrong. Since Day 1 of his presidential campaign his credo has been: "If you're under attack, strike back even HARDER. If you back down, you'll lose."

Right now, this means: If you're under investigation, do everything in your power to impede that investigation.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #387 on: May 17, 2017, 06:09:30 AM »

He doesn't know anything about governing or being President.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #388 on: May 17, 2017, 06:11:38 AM »

He was expressing the hope. It was not a request (technically). And I doubt that it would be illegal even if he made such a request.

Question. If you think the President asking the head of the FBI to stop investigating criminal activities by his campaign isn't a big deal, why do you suppose even Republicans in Congress are shocked and upset?

And what is the reason for Republicans being shocked and upset that Bill Clinton met with Loretta Lynch on the tarmac in Phoenix in 2016 when it would have been NBD for Clinton ally Obama to ask Lynch to shut down Comey's investigation into her emails?
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #389 on: May 17, 2017, 06:44:29 AM »

CBSThisMorning says it asked 20 GOP lawmakers to be a guest this AM to talk about Trump. And asked the WH for someone. ALL declined.
https://twitter.com/edatpost/status/864801848577884160
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #390 on: May 17, 2017, 06:45:39 AM »

Question. If you think the President asking the head of the FBI to stop investigating criminal activities by his campaign isn't a big deal, why do you suppose even Republicans in Congress are shocked and upset?

And what is the reason for Republicans being shocked and upset that Bill Clinton met with Loretta Lynch on the tarmac in Phoenix in 2016 when it would have been NBD for Clinton ally Obama to ask Lynch to shut down Comey's investigation into her emails?

I said it was highly improper but likely not illegal. So it it a big deal.

And by the way I said that Obama had to adress the Russian intervention BEFORE the election.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #391 on: May 17, 2017, 06:49:08 AM »

CBSThisMorning says it asked 20 GOP lawmakers to be a guest this AM to talk about Trump. And asked the WH for someone. ALL declined.
https://twitter.com/edatpost/status/864801848577884160
XD
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #392 on: May 17, 2017, 06:52:06 AM »

Bad sign for Trump: I'm listening to GOP Deputy Whip @RepKinzinger call for an independent investigation -- rising above politics
https://twitter.com/RonaldKlain/status/864804895987306496

GOP Rep Tom Cole (OK) to me: "While I'm no Comey fan, I won't defend anyone who obstructs justice. time for Comey to appear before Congress
https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/864809263918702592
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #393 on: May 17, 2017, 07:05:23 AM »

Bad sign for Trump: I'm listening to GOP Deputy Whip @RepKinzinger call for an independent investigation -- rising above politics
https://twitter.com/RonaldKlain/status/864804895987306496

GOP Rep Tom Cole (OK) to me: "While I'm no Comey fan, I won't defend anyone who obstructs justice. time for Comey to appear before Congress
https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/864809263918702592

Good, good.... it's time for the congressional Republicans to get off their fat, lazy asses and do their jobs.

#DrainTheSwamp
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #394 on: May 17, 2017, 07:09:14 AM »

What's also remarkable is simply how amateurish Trump and his team are; it's like they're a little-league team that has been randomly dropped into the world series and is shocked to discover that the MLB players know how to swing a baseball bat.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #395 on: May 17, 2017, 07:17:46 AM »

A senior WH official tells @PeterAlexander that POTUS wasn't telling Comey to end Flynn investigation and suggest this is the way he speaks
https://twitter.com/MariannaNBCNews/status/864815443164504065

I hope every journo has a "real American" friend to quiz to see how much news has permeated. Mine doesn't know the FBI Director was fired.
https://twitter.com/bethanyshondark/status/864812695857627138
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #396 on: May 17, 2017, 07:24:19 AM »

A senior WH official tells @PeterAlexander that POTUS wasn't telling Comey to end Flynn investigation and suggest this is the way he speaks

Tacit acknowledgment by the White House. Time to impeach. Also if it was just the way he talks, why'd he ask Pence and Sessions to leave? That's a clear sign he wasn't asking something routine.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #397 on: May 17, 2017, 07:53:19 AM »

After being reminded of Comey's memo habit early (re: Torture policy of Bush 2 Administration), Obama and team learned quickly to restrain their tongues when talking to him.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/17/politics/james-comey-leaks/index.html

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #398 on: May 17, 2017, 08:03:33 AM »

Reminds me of Kellyanne saying we should judge Trump by what's in his heart, not what comes out of his mouth. It's a fine sentiment but impractical for governance.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #399 on: May 17, 2017, 08:09:57 AM »

Reminds me of Kellyanne saying we should judge Trump by what's in his heart, not what comes out of his mouth. It's a fine sentiment but impractical for governance.

Maybe Trump didn't really fire Comey either. Maybe it's just the way he communicates.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies