State delegation TIE in an EC tiebreaker...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:50:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  State delegation TIE in an EC tiebreaker...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: State delegation TIE in an EC tiebreaker...  (Read 1035 times)
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2018, 10:54:45 AM »

So in the case of an electoral college TIE, the House of Representatives choose between the top 3 candidates who is President. They do this by virtue of each STATEs HOUSE delegation getting 1 vote. (They vote amongst themselves and whichever candidate wins that vote, gets that states single VOTE in the House tiebreaker).

Here is my question... what if the state has an even amount of representatives? Then what?

By same token, when the Senate votes for VP. What if the vote is 50/50? Then what?
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 01:07:53 PM »

I'm not sure about the Senate, but I know in that in the House both sets of votes (the vote within a state's delegation and the vote between state delegations) require full 50%+1 majorities. A tie is a non-vote.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 05:47:12 PM »

That state would be deadlocked and unable to cast its vote until such time as one of its reps decided to cross party lines. If enough states were so deadlocked, it’s possible that no candidate could get the necessary 26 votes to win the presidency, since a majority of the whole number of states is required to win. Balloting would then continue in the House until the deadlock could be broken. If the deadlock was not broken by January 20th, then the Vice President-elect would act as president until the deadlock could be broken in the House.

In the Senate, a 50-50 tie could potentially raise a constitutional question. By the most straightforward reading of the 12th Amendment (which I think is pretty clear), the sitting Vice President does NOT get a tie breaking vote in this scenario. But of course this has never been decided by the courts, so it might potentially have to be decided by SCOTUS.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies