Recap of last 2 weeks... am I missing anything?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:31:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Recap of last 2 weeks... am I missing anything?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Recap of last 2 weeks... am I missing anything?  (Read 1136 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2017, 11:25:13 PM »
« edited: May 18, 2017, 01:30:54 PM by Blue3 »

last Monday (5/8) - Yates hearing on Russia investigations and more, doesn't look the best for Trump

last Tuesday (5/9) - Comey fired, shockwaves

last Wednesday 5/10) - Trump invites Russian foreign minister and ambassador to Oval Office, against protocol, blocks American press, gives Top-Secret Intel from Israel

last Thursday (5/11) - Trump derails the Pence/Spicer/Huckabee account of Comey firing, saying he'd do it anyways, was thinking about Russia, said he had dinner with Comey begging for his job when he asked about investigation... Comey ally says Trump told Comey that Trump actually demanded loyalty

last Friday (5/12) - Trump threatens Comey on Twitter with releasing "tapes" that his press won't confirm or deny

(I don't think anything broke this weekend, for the public anyways)

this Monday (5/15) - revealed that Trump leaked Top-Secret Intel from Israel to Russia during last week's surprise Oval Office meeting with Russians at center of investigation, and Trump met with the Abu Dhabi Prince who Trump tried to create a backchannel to Russia through (along with the founder of Blackwater, Betsy DeVos's brother)

this Tuesday (5/16) - content of some Comey memos revealed that Trump asked Comey to forget about investigating Flynn/Russia, after Trump insisted on Pence and Sessions leaving the room, and asked about jailing the press

yesterday (5/17) - Mueller appointed by DoJ/Rosenstein as Special Counsel to oversee the Russia investigation, Pence and Trump and others knew Flynn was under investigation before he was hired and therefore lied, Flynn's Turkish connections seem to have prevented a ready-to-go attack on ISIS HQ, tape shows Ryan/McCarthy talking about Putin paying Trump and swearing not to tell anyone which they first deny and then say is a joke

today (5/18) - Trump campaign contacted the Kremlin 18 more times than previously disclosed, Trump told Flynn to "stay strong" AFTER firing, it's confirmed Flynn and Manafort are subjects in criminal investigation into Russia/TrumpCampaign... and I'm sure more to come
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 12:08:31 AM »
« Edited: May 17, 2017, 12:12:38 AM by Technocratic Timmy »

Timeline:

2016: Russia meddles with election to help Donald Trump

July 2016: FBI begins to investigate any ties between Trump campaign and Russia

September 2016: Jeff Sessions meets with Sergei Kislyak

November 2016: Flynn named for National Security Advisor

December 2016: Michael Flynn has undisclosed conversation with Sergei Kislyak, the Russian Ambassador to the United States. Around the time Obama put new sanctions on Russia

January 15th: Pence says Flynn phonecall was unrelated to sanctions

January 20th: Donald Trump’s inauguration

January 26th: Sally Yates informs the WH that reports about Flynn’s conversations were untrue and Flynn was susceptible to compromise

January 27th: Donald Trump has dinner with Comey. Trump asks him for loyalty.

January 30th: Sally Yates is fired. Administration & Trump cite refusal to defend travel ban

February 9th: Washington Post reports that Flynn discussed sanctions

February 13th: Flynn resigns

February 14th: Trump asks Comey to end Flynn probe. “Let this go”

March 1st: Media reports surface that Sessions had met with Kislyak, contradicting confirmation hearing testimony

March 2nd: Jeff Sessions recuses himself from any investigations/probes involving Russian interference.

March 20th: Comey discloses Trump-Russia investigation by FBI. Rebuts Trump claims of Obama ‘wiretapp’

March 21st: Devin Nunes, chairman of the House Intelligence committee, has undisclosed meeting on White House grounds to view documents

March 22th: Nunes holds press conference about incidental collection of members of Trump campaign

March 28th: Nunes cancels hearing for the week

April 6th: Nunes recuses himself from Russia investigation

May 3rd: Comey testifies to Senate about his decisions in Email investigation

May 8th: Sally Yates testifies that Flynn was at risk for blackmail and that she had warned the WH, confirming media reports

May 8th: Trump asks Attorney General and Deputy Attorney General to write justifications for firing Comey

May 9th: Trump fires Comey. WH claims that it was because of handling of Hillary Clinton email investigation

May 10th: Trump has meeting with Lavrov and Kislyak. We only receive pictures of Kislyak from Russian photographer present. Trump also discloses highly classified to information to them, seemingly by accident

May 11th: Trump says he would have fired Comey regardless of the DOJ recommendation, says he thought the Russia-Trump investigation was a ‘big hoax’ when he fired Comey.

May 16th: New York Times released report on Trump asking Comey to shut down Flynn investigation. WH disputes accuracy of report.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 12:28:27 AM »

I feel like I've aged a year in the last week.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 01:21:50 PM »

Now Putin says he had Oval Office transcripts, to help Trump:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/vladimir-putin-says-prove-trump-did-not-pass-114648943.html
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 01:30:07 PM »

Fence says he has accounting records that prove the known burglar he talked to didn't sell him anything.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 02:05:46 PM »

We have to find these leakers. I'd say the exact same if it were Obama in office. We can't have people leaking information and conversations the POTUS has.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 02:37:23 PM »

The OMGZ!! hysteria from the left has been amazing.  Other than that, no.
elcorazon

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 03:40:58 PM »

We have to find these leakers. I'd say the exact same if it were Obama in office. We can't have people leaking information and conversations the POTUS has.
lol
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 01:31:09 PM »

Update:

last Monday (5/8) - Yates hearing on Russia investigations and more, doesn't look the best for Trump

last Tuesday (5/9) - Comey fired, shockwaves

last Wednesday 5/10) - Trump invites Russian foreign minister and ambassador to Oval Office, against protocol, blocks American press, gives Top-Secret Intel from Israel

last Thursday (5/11) - Trump derails the Pence/Spicer/Huckabee account of Comey firing, saying he'd do it anyways, was thinking about Russia, said he had dinner with Comey begging for his job when he asked about investigation... Comey ally says Trump told Comey that Trump actually demanded loyalty

last Friday (5/12) - Trump threatens Comey on Twitter with releasing "tapes" that his press won't confirm or deny

(I don't think anything broke this weekend, for the public anyways)

this Monday (5/15) - revealed that Trump leaked Top-Secret Intel from Israel to Russia during last week's surprise Oval Office meeting with Russians at center of investigation, and Trump met with the Abu Dhabi Prince who Trump tried to create a backchannel to Russia through (along with the founder of Blackwater, Betsy DeVos's brother)

this Tuesday (5/16) - content of some Comey memos revealed that Trump asked Comey to forget about investigating Flynn/Russia, after Trump insisted on Pence and Sessions leaving the room, and asked about jailing the press

yesterday (5/17) - Mueller appointed by DoJ/Rosenstein as Special Counsel to oversee the Russia investigation, Pence and Trump and others knew Flynn was under investigation before he was hired and therefore lied, Flynn's Turkish connections seem to have prevented a ready-to-go attack on ISIS HQ, tape shows Ryan/McCarthy talking about Putin paying Trump and swearing not to tell anyone which they first deny and then say is a joke

today (5/18) - Trump campaign contacted the Kremlin 18 more times than previously disclosed, Trump told Flynn to "stay strong" AFTER firing, it's confirmed Flynn and Manafort are subjects in criminal investigation into Russia/TrumpCampaign... and I'm sure more to come
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 08:54:52 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2017, 09:08:07 PM by Blue3 »

update:

today (5/19) - It's revealed that Trump boasted to the Russians last week that he fired "nutjob" Comey to take the pressure off him coming from the Russia investigation, Jared Kushner is now a "person of interest" in the investigation, White House is looking for ways to prevent investigation into Kushner/Manafort, Russians were boasting how they can use Flynn to influence Trump a few months ago

Missing anything?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 09:00:26 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2017, 09:02:07 PM by Holmes »

I actually don't disagree that leakers are bad (though I don't think we should "go after them") especially during an ongoing investigation. But I do think we have the right to know what's going on, especially because there are a lot of shady and probably near-illegal things going on behind closed doors.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 09:16:11 PM »

You forgot:

Hillary launches Onward Together.
EnglishPete

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 05:34:07 AM »

Interesting exchange on twitter, lets see if anything some of this

Kim Dotcom‏Verified account
@KimDotcom
If Congress includes #SethRich case into their Russia probe I'll give written testimony with evidence that Seth Rich was @Wikileaks source.

Sean Hannity‏Verified account
@seanhannity
Sean Hannity Retweeted Kim Dotcom
You have that evidence??

@KimDotcom
Kim Dotcom Retweeted Sean Hannity
I'm the evidence!!

Sean Hannity‏Verified account
@seanhannity
You are the evidence?  Can you explain that in more detail?

@KimDotcom
Kim Dotcom Retweeted Sean Hannity
I knew Seth Rich. I know he was the @Wikileaks source. I was involved.

@KimDotcom
I'm meeting my legal team on Monday. I will issue a statement about #SethRich on Tuesday. Please be patient. This needs to be done properly

Kim Dotcom Retweeted
 Sean Hannity‏Verified account @seanhannity  15h15 hours ago
Stay tuned. Public invitation Kim Dotcom to be a guest on radio and TV. #GameChanger  Buckle up destroy Trump media. Sheep that u all are!!!
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 09:16:43 AM »

There's a special place in hell for people like that that exploit people's deaths for partisan purposes.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 10:02:56 AM »

Pete this is really getting tasteless on your part
EnglishPete

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 10:48:03 AM »

Not just Hannity. Newt was talking about this story this morning. Now there are two competing narratives about how the DNC emails came to be published on Wikileaks. One is that they were leaked by Seth Rich, the other is that the DNC servers were hacked by agents of the Russian government.

Now neither claim has been confirmed or refuted by the FBI. They have examined neither Seth Rich's laptop, not the DNC servers. Now we have a situation where the main narrative on the left and in left wing media is that Russia hacked the DNC whereas on the right and in right wing media the Russia story is considered unfounded and lacking in evidence whilst the late Seth Rich is considered a more likely culprit.

Now I don't subscribe the the Russia conspiracy theory myself but I wouldn't say it was wrong to discuss because it forms part of the left wing narrative and is therefore part of politics, even for those who are sceptical of the story.

Likewise the Seth Rich claims, whether you find them plausible or not are becoming part of the narrative of the right and are therefore part of politics whether you agree with them or not.

As for the matter of taste the issue of whether Rich was behind the leak is separate from the question of whether his death was linked to the leak. The two things may possibly turn out to be linked or they may very well not be. I have offered no speculation on that.
EnglishPete

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 10:49:53 AM »

There's a special place in hell for people like that that exploit people's deaths for partisan purposes.

You mean like Barack 'if I had a son' Obama?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 10:51:34 AM »

if he had a sense of shame, he wouldn't be englishpete ˉ\_(ツ)_/ˉ
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2017, 11:01:16 AM »
« Edited: May 29, 2017, 11:34:12 AM by Torie »

1. It's not Obama's fault that police brutality is a partisan issue.
2. [nope - Torie]
EnglishPete

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2017, 11:19:02 AM »
« Edited: May 29, 2017, 11:35:08 AM by Torie »

2. ...

... . Democratic party politicians have long been engaging in 'Bonfire of the Vanities' style political grandstanding over various homicide and other criminal cases. The Trayvon Martin case was just one of the most prominent. You have nothing to say about that but react with sanctimonious  outrage if someone of the right so much as asks questions you don't like about a homicide or other criminal case.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2017, 11:25:57 AM »

So is anyone going to tell Pete the Seth Rich story was debunked? Seriously how in gods name does the Russia story with all the evidence between Flynn, Manafort, Trump's own kids saying they have Russian ties, an now Comey is able to be dismissed while Pizzagate and Rich live on long after being debunked with its evidence is "I heard about it on a Internet chatroom"
EnglishPete

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2017, 11:45:15 AM »

So is anyone going to tell Pete the Seth Rich story was debunked?

I didn't know that. I knew that he 'Russia hacked the DNC' claims have been repeatedly debunked but I didn't know the 'Seth Rich leaked the e-mails' claims had been debunked. I knew that various people have claimed that the "Seth Rich was the leaker" hypothesis has been debunked but their basis for saying this is that DC police have said they've looked at his laptop and not found anything, as if that debunks anything.

If you could explain the arguments used in an actual debunking of the Seth Rich hypothesis then I'm all ears, lets hear it.
EnglishPete

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2017, 11:49:27 AM »

Seriously how in gods name does the Russia story with all the evidence between Flynn, Manafort, Trump's own kids saying they have Russian ties

As for people having 'Russia ties' you know who else has Russia ties? The Clintons and John Podesta. The mere fact of someone having had financial transactions involving Russia or the Russian government does not, by itself, constitute evidence of some nefarious conspiracy.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2017, 01:12:07 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2017, 11:36:15 AM by Torie »

2. ... .

... . Democratic party politicians have long been engaging in 'Bonfire of the Vanities' style political grandstanding over various homocide and other criminal cases. The Trayvon Martin case was just one of the most prominent. You have nothing to say about that but react with sanctimonious  outrage if someone of the right so much as asks questions you don't like about a homocide or other criminal case.

"I" don't think Democratic politicians or activists in general handle these things especially well either, but to use that fact as an excuse to go "BUH BUH BUH MUH OBAMA, MUH DEMOCRATS, MUH BOTH SIDES DO IT" whenever your beloved overlord or his media handmaidens do something unconscionable is outrageous. Most leftists on Atlas know perfectly well that Obama did bad or insincere things without needing some disingenuous brute to point it out to us in knee-jerk defense of his embattled master. Also, it's spelled "homicide".
EnglishPete

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2017, 04:59:11 PM »

So is anyone going to tell Pete the Seth Rich story was debunked?

Ah, I see what you mean. You're referring to this 'debunking' of the claim that Seth Rich was the leaker of the DNC e-mails

Quote "The theory picked up steam again this week when a private investigator named Rod Wheeler told a Washington, D.C. news station that Rich’s laptop contained the emails that were passed to WikiLeaks.

Rich’s family quickly disputed Wheeler’s claims and ordered him to “cease and desist” discussing the case. Wheeler, a former homicide detective and Fox News contributor, recanted his story and claimed he was misrepresented by a reporter." End Quote
http://dailycaller.com/2017/05/21/newt-gingrich-spreads-debunked-story-about-murdered-dnc-staffer/

So this is what is supposed to be the debunking of Wikileaks' assertions that Seth Rich was their source. Some no mark pops up on national media and claims he has the inside scoop on the story and it soon turns out he doesn't have the inside scoop.

Now whether that's deliberate disinfo or just some no mark trying to get some attention in the media is beside the point. Please explain how you think it debunks the claims of Wikileaks themselves or of Kim Dotcom
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies