USA TODAY: Miss USA denounced the word 'feminist,' leaving some fans confused
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:14:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  USA TODAY: Miss USA denounced the word 'feminist,' leaving some fans confused
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: FF or HP?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: USA TODAY: Miss USA denounced the word 'feminist,' leaving some fans confused  (Read 1723 times)
I Won - Get Over It
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2017, 08:41:42 AM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/entertainthis/2017/05/15/miss-usa-kara-mccullough-under-fire-conservative-answers-healthcare-feminism/101702924/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is what science does to people.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 08:46:00 AM »

So she is a feminist. Feminism = equalism
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 08:49:57 AM »

Yep. Normal one.
And "All lives matter" = "Black lives matter".

I wish all leftist were like her.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 08:52:32 AM »

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 08:55:24 AM »

"I'm an equalist" is the irl equivalent of "both sides do it Smiley "
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 08:56:24 AM »

"muh both sides"
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 09:34:52 AM »

If feminism actually meant equality then radical feminism would logically mean the most radical form of equality. But as we know, that's not the case.
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 09:41:09 AM »
« Edited: May 17, 2017, 08:21:52 PM by Sorenroy »

If feminism actually meant equality then radical feminism would logically mean the most radical form of equality. But as we know, that's not the case.

I don't think you're wrong in saying radical feminism = radical equality, but I do think that you see radical equality differently from what some see it as. I personally see "radical equality" as not only equality, but a way to almost counterbalance the scales. For Jim-Crow era laws, radical equality might mean giving blacks 5/3 of a vote (something that has been argued); for Jews, that might mean carving a country out of the Middle East; for feminism, that might mean making women almost a superior class.

Not that I think that is the correct thing to do, but for me "radical equality" means giving the "oppressed" more rights than the "oppressors" and forcing the "oppressors" into the former position of the "oppressed".

Edit: I want to make it clear that "radical-equality", as I have defined it above, is not necessarily a bad thing, especially when done in the short term. My hope for the long term is that everyone is completely equal, but in the short term it may be necessary to give certain groups more extensive reparations to help them gain an equal footing with the rest of society. For example, the merits of the ongoing use of Affirmative Action (AA) have recently drawn fire from both sides of the isle (albeit less so from Democrats), but I doubt you would find much opposition to Affirmative Action coming out of slavery, when African-Americans definitely needed more help then whites to get a hand up. The problem of "radical-equality" arises when those short term programs overstay their need. As with today's arguments against AA, now that African-Americans are on semi-equal footing, the focus should shift from race to need. There are some ideas, like those that seek the oppression of the former "oppressors", that have no merit ever, and only seek to divide people in unnecessary ways by those that feel that the "oppressors" need to be in some way punished.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 09:46:05 AM »

As Derrida once argued, equality isn't always a positive.
Jeffster
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 02:23:25 PM »

I don't think you're wrong in saying radical feminism = radical equality, but I do think that you see radical equality differently from what some see it as. I personally see "radical equality" as not only equality, but a way to almost counterbalance the scales. For Jim-Crow era laws, radical equality might mean giving blacks 5/3 of a vote (something that has been argued); for Jews, that might mean carving a country out of the Middle East; for feminism, that might mean making women almost a superior class.

Not that I think that is the correct thing to do, but for me "radical equality" means giving the "oppressed" more rights than the "oppressors" and forcing the "oppressors" into the former position of the "oppressed".

That sounds like punishing some people for the sins of other people in the past, and giving extra benefits to people today who didn't earn it, because of things that happened to similar people in the past. That will only perpetuate a cycle of victims and oppressors, because the new victims will then want their revenge when given the chance to become the oppressors and create another new class of victims and so on and so on.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 02:35:53 PM »

Good, Western Feminism is Cancer.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 02:37:23 PM »

She knows her place in the world.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 04:56:07 PM »

Ugh, this refrain needs to die.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 04:59:51 PM »

Come on, guys!

She said she is 'equalist', because the word 'feminist' was hijacked by Lefties.

The similar thing happened to the words fascist, Nazi, racist and HITLER!! - now it means, someone who don't agree with the Left and want strong border, law enforcement and something-something. The devalued it.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 05:15:53 PM »

"I'm an equalist" is akin to "All Lives Matter". What a dunce.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 05:21:09 PM »

There's a semantic argument to be made that the term "feminism" now encompasses such a broad, diverse spectrum of theories and beliefs that it in and of itself borders on the meaningless, but that's obviously not what she's arguing

"Humanist" is usually what most people couch her argument in, which makes more sense (I guess)
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 05:27:39 PM »

That sounds like punishing some people for the sins of other people in the past, and giving extra benefits to people today who didn't earn it, because of things that happened to similar people in the past. That will only perpetuate a cycle of victims and oppressors, because the new victims will then want their revenge when given the chance to become the oppressors and create another new class of victims and so on and so on.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯   Yeah, pretty much.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2017, 05:31:55 PM »

I'm pretty sure she's doing it distance herself from the Neo-Dworkinite "SJW"/"campus" feminism that you run into these days.

By definition she is a feminist, but to suggest that the "SJW" (if you will, we all know the type) wing of modern feminism live up to the definition themselves, thus somehow making them the same thing, is utterly intellectually dishonest.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 05:44:50 PM »

I'm pretty sure she's doing it distance herself from the Neo-Dworkinite "SJW"/"campus" feminism that you run into these days.

By definition she is a feminist, but to suggest that the "SJW" (if you will, we all know the type) wing of modern feminism live up to the definition themselves, thus somehow making them the same thing, is utterly intellectually dishonest.

Enlighten me as to what Dworkinite means, if you would
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 06:05:18 PM »

For her final question, McCullough was asked whether she considered herself a feminist, responding that she preferred the term "equalist."

"I try not to consider myself this die-hard, 'I don't care about men' (type)," she said. "Women, we are just as equal as men when it comes to opportunity in the workplace. Firsthand, I've witnessed the impact women have in leadership in the medical sciences as well as in office environments."

Good for her.  Feminists and feminism should be rejected consistently.  This is nothing new and is something I've posted many times on this forum, but it's nice to see a high-profile female say that it isn't right.  Voted FF, but with reservations.  (I wish she had a better grasp of the English language.  "Equalist" isn't a word.  Well, it probably is now, because it has made its way into the urban dictionary and some other websites at least five years ago, but a word already already exists for what she's trying to say:  egalitarianism.  Egalitarianism is, in my opinion, a superior objective to feminism or masculinism.  I think she's trying to say that she's not a feminist, but an egalitarian.  Good for her. 

I don't know much about her, but after reading the article, I find other reasons to regard her as a freedom fighter as well.  She seems very opposed to political correctness and other newspeak.  We tend to think of "miss america" as a dumb blonde bombshell who looks good in a bikini, which is very unfortunate because a number of them have been exceptionally talented and insightful.  Kara McCullough clearly breaks the mold in so many ways and shows that Miss USA has a mind of her own. 

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2017, 06:06:29 PM »

I don't really know how to comment on this word salad.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies