Please avoid making threats or wishing for violent crimes against any individual
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:14:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Please avoid making threats or wishing for violent crimes against any individual
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Please avoid making threats or wishing for violent crimes against any individual  (Read 79504 times)
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2017, 06:50:19 PM »

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2017, 08:38:25 PM »

Alright, I know at least one of you wished for Pianoforte to violently assault a reporter. Fess up!
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2017, 12:30:23 PM »

Texas Governor Greg Abbott Jokes About Shooting Reporters

"http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/texas-governor-greg-abbott-jokes-about-shooting-reporters_us_59284da3e4b0df57cbfb53c8"
You must be logged in to read this quote.

If the intent is to stop those "making threats or wishing for violent crimes" all the blue avatars are going to need to be banned, because they obviously condone such behavior.

Cue those falsely claiming that actions of random protesters on one side and prominent politicians on the other make both sides equivalent.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2017, 02:05:32 PM »

Mods: Here's a vague new rule we're enforcing
Posters: Can we have some clear guidelines so we don't get banned at random?
Mods: WOW SUCH HORRIBLE PEOPLE WHAT'S NOT CLEAR ABOUT IT YOU NEED TO GROW UP.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2017, 02:29:44 PM »

Mods: While being afraid of stating the obvious, please, don't wish death/violence to people don't eat poos.

3-4 posters: Muh, but what's about poo with Coke zero or Russian/Australian poos? Is it ok to eat them then!?

Majority of Atlas: Huh
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2017, 07:34:04 PM »

Any actual rule would be too much for you people.

In any case, I would prefer we avoid any language that would look undesirable should a member of the Secret Service stumble upon us. That ought to at least be the starting point. It is my experience that the type of people who try to incessantly sniff out loopholes face certain character deficits.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2017, 01:02:50 PM »

Any actual rule would be too much for you people.

In any case, I would prefer we avoid any language that would look undesirable should a member of the Secret Service stumble upon us. That ought to at least be the starting point. It is my experience that the type of people who try to incessantly sniff out loopholes face certain character deficits.

At this rate, there's not much we can do to get people to stop saying stupid threats on the internet.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't get it to drink.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2017, 05:06:12 PM »

Well, those who wanted Manuel Noriega to go to Hell are probably getting their wish.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2017, 05:50:46 PM »

When Your President Incites Violence …

How do we handle heads-of-state who encourage crimes?

http://warisboring.com/when-your-president-incites-violence/

Seems relevant.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2017, 12:17:11 PM »

Seems relevant.

I don't think we can do something to you. But I don't know, maybe those second amendment people moderators...
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2017, 04:10:46 PM »

Seems relevant.

It only seems relevant because of your own twisted hatred of Donald Trump.  He's a guy you dislike intensely.  I get that.  Do we have to talk about Democratic operatives encouraging mentally shaky folks to react to them during Trump rallies?

Scripture says to refrain from "returning evil for evil".  For the athiests and unbelievers, I would think that your parents explained to you at one time or another that two (2) wrongs didn't make a right.  (Quite frankly, if they didn't, they failed at part of their job, and if they did, but you blew it off, you failed at part of growing up.)

I'm a parent of a now 12 year old.  He's got ADHD with a bit of Oppositional Defiant Disorder.  He wants to push the limits as far as he can, and it's strenuous to have to constantly insist that boundaries and rules are what they are, and (quite often) not negotiable.  He's 12 and he's got an identifiable issue.  But here, I'm seeing a bunch of folks who, presumably, don't have those issues, thinking that they shouldn't be banned from a website for making threats, wanting to box folks as to how far they can go, etc.  It's the logic of someone who wants to know how close to the Atlantic Ocean they should build their new house during Hurricane Season, or how close to the cliff they should venture without fear of a rockslide.  They want to live on the edge, but when the edge is blown out from under them, they want it to be somebody else's fauld.

I wish Trump would quit Tweeting; he can't do it without being a jerk and he doesn't seem to want to listen to reason.  I get that, also.  But I'm not responsible for him.  I'm only responsible for me and my son; even my wife, who is also responsible for our son, is responsible for her own actions.  And if I really have to go to great lengths to explain this to folks, I wonder if these folks judgment in ANYTHING is sound, no matter how educated or experienced they may be.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2017, 09:17:13 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2017, 03:55:57 AM by pbrower2a »

Seems relevant.

It only seems relevant because of your own twisted hatred of Donald Trump.  He's a guy you dislike intensely.  I get that.  Do we have to talk about Democratic operatives encouraging mentally shaky folks to react to them during Trump rallies?

Let's hope not. Don't do violence. Violence is one of the few things that fascists do extremely well. Fascists do violence far more effectively than people who have scruples.  

So what's the pacifist part of turning the other cheek?

38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

— Matthew 5:38–5:39 KJV

Walk away. Try to avoid striking back. The sin is to escalate the violence. One act of violence is one too many. Most destructive fights begin over something that the participants forget about as the fighting gets to be a matter of survival.

This is how to stop a bar-room brawl that often culminates in one participant having a broken hand and the other a broken jaw. Was it worth it? Do you even remember the incident that escalated to a trip to a hospital ward?

I have run away from many fights in my time. Cowardice? No. Wisdom. Fists prove nothing except who is a better or more devious fighter. 

Corporate lobbyists tell our elected officials what to do, Congress writes the laws, the President signs them, and the police enforce them with the threat of people going to prison or having to pay hurtful fines for non-compliance. That's the way things go in America, and if you don't like them there are nearly 200 sovereign states with different laws and much the same means of enforcement. If things go a certain way the Great Command in life will be to suffer with a smile and do as you are told with selfless disregard for anything except the 'wonderful people' whom God has appointed to lord it all over us. God help us if we should ever be expected to treat the inanimate possession of some member of the Master Class  more precious than something so trivial as our own children.

Wise people recognize that in the absence of certain rules life gets precarious. Tahquamenon Falls is beautiful, and it is obviously tempting to get a closer closeup by going past a fence. But get too close to the edge and you will fall to your death into near-freezing water. Even if you got the image of a lifetime your camera might not survive, either.  

I might stick to divine retribution. You know how that goes -- do horrible things to people and the God who judges you will be among those that you mistreated. Just imagine how nasty a discovery that a Nazi might have upon finding that God is Jewish. (subject for a story out of The Twilight Zone?) Or that Osama bin Laden found that God is an American.

We have three and a half years in which to outlast Donald Trump. That is less time now than is usually necessary to start and complete a bachelor's program at a 4-year college. That will be time enough for Americans to decide what they want as a successor. I hope that this will not be a liberal crook -- better a conservative  with a conscience than a left-wing demagogue as obnoxious as Trump.

If I were thirty years younger I would seek to spend the Trump Presidency in some other country. Think of a joke that the late Arte Johnson made as a mock-Russian

American: In our country we are free to criticize our President
Russian: In our country we are free to criticize your President.

If you don't care what goes on in Saudi Arabia and you find what Trump does is more cause for your concern, and you are a petroleum engineer, then you might want to apply for work at Aramco.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2017, 11:07:54 AM »

I just hope Trump gets voted out in 2020 or undermines his own presidency before then.  Political misfortune for him will be good news for the country. 
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2017, 07:36:33 PM »

Disgrace.. So sad!
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2017, 08:09:13 PM »

Yea this is what facebook and Twitter are for. Be civil here people.

lol. I wish you posted more.
NoTrump
Rookie
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2017, 11:50:12 PM »

Out of academic interest, where does repeating the words of the current President of the United States fall on this scale? For example:

Quotes such as these indicate Hillary Clinton's weakness as a politician. After all, she lost to HIM!
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2017, 04:29:15 PM »

Quotes such as these indicate Hillary Clinton's weakness as a politician the stupidity of Americans. After all, she lost to they elected HIM!

Fixed.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2017, 11:52:13 PM »

I for one believe that both Hillary Clinton was a bad candidate and the American voters got it wrong.
forgotten manatee
bluecat
United States

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2018, 09:11:06 PM »

I for one believe that both Hillary Clinton was a bad candidate and the American voters got it wrong.

Agreed, she made a lot of mistakes and in many ways was a female version of Mitt Romney. There's a lot she should have done different.

That said, there's plenty of blame to go around, including with the voters.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2018, 02:10:39 AM »
« Edited: February 14, 2018, 03:19:12 AM by 136or142 »

I'm just curious: does this mean that nobody can make a comment in favor of the death penalty (at least in a specific case)?

Ultimately, other than the legal nicities, there really is no difference between having the state kill on your behalf rather than wishing somebody dead (or for 'violent crimes' against any individual.)

If there were truly equal justice in the carrying out of the death penalty, I suppose one could argue it was truly fair justice being meted out by the state, but I think everybody here knows that's not the reality.

I think I've abided by this rule and although I have mixed feelings about it, I can see its value. Every discussion could turn into some flame war without the rule.

But, on my initial point at least 60% of Americans support the death penalty, so this idea that people (at least Americans) find the idea of wishing somebody killed to be morally repugnant is just a lie.  

I wrote in the second paragraph about the supposed rationales of how a person can support the death penalty but virtue signal over somebody else wishing for somebody be killed.  Obviously I think those rationales are garbage.

So, I seriously would like to know if this rule does extend to calling for the death penalty to be carried out, or, if not, what makes the high profile people this rule is obviously primarily for so special?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2018, 04:33:34 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2018, 04:37:18 PM by 136or142 »

I haven't checked all the comments on the latest shooting, but one of the idiotic arguments against gun control is 'we need guns to prevent government tyranny.'

Is that argument allowed?  Because getting away from the abstract nonsense of this statement, what it really means at present is 'we need guns to kill Donald Trump or to kill members of Congress.'

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2018, 04:34:37 PM »

I haven't checked on the comments on the latest shooting, but one of the idiotic arguments against gun control is 'we need guns to prevent government tyranny.'

Is that argument allowed?  Because getting away from the abstract nonsense of this statement, what it really means at present is 'we need guns to kill Donald Trump or to kill members of Congress.'

Lmao, no it doesn't. Nice try though.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2018, 04:37:42 PM »

I haven't checked on the comments on the latest shooting, but one of the idiotic arguments against gun control is 'we need guns to prevent government tyranny.'

Is that argument allowed?  Because getting away from the abstract nonsense of this statement, what it really means at present is 'we need guns to kill Donald Trump or to kill members of Congress.'

Lmao, no it doesn't. Nice try though.

1.You're not a moderator.

2.Why doesn't it?
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.74, S: 7.22

« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2018, 03:54:02 PM »

Are people seriously debating about who it is okay to wish death upon? You really shouldn't be doing that at all, because it's just wrong. Just don't make those sort of comments, period.

This.  We should acting according to the better angels of our nature.
Mr. Bullocks
Rookie
United States

« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2018, 07:13:24 PM »

What? That’s crazy! That’s a little to much for a forum.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies