Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2017, 01:59:12 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: TexasGurl, Torie, Senator PiT, PPT)
| | |-+  Please avoid making threats or wishing for violent crimes against any individual
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Please avoid making threats or wishing for violent crimes against any individual  (Read 1492 times)
SunriseAroundTheWorld
YaBB God
Israel

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 05:10:07 pm »
Ignore

It is sad that this is even necessary. People who are calling for violence against democratically elected officials are not only a public threat to other people/themselves but also to our country's electoral system and democratic values.

Good people don't wish death on public officials they have never met.
Good people don't make death threats against elected officials.

Economic score: +8.65
Social score: +4.35

Türkisblau
H_Wallace
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 05:24:06 pm »
Ignore

It is sad that this is even necessary. People who are calling for violence against democratically elected officials are not only a public threat to other people/themselves but also to our country's electoral system and democratic values.

Good people don't wish death on public officials they have never met.
Good people don't make death threats against elected officials.

can we wish death upon officials not elected (like the mods?)
#woke O'Malley 2020
Cathcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2017, 05:26:32 pm »
Ignore

Why is this so hard for you deviants again?

"There is only one superpower in the world: Love."
-Martin O'Malley
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2017, 05:30:21 pm »
Ignore

Civility is vastly overrated IMO. In all realms of politics.

Beet
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2017, 05:33:43 pm »
Ignore

It's not about civility for the sake of civility. It's about the notion that the world would be a better place if someone died. That's all well and good unless you are that person. I will admit I've struggled with this, especially with Trump. It just doesn't feel right. I'm... dare I use the phrase... pro-life? I want my political enemies defeated, not dead. We're not in a civil war... yet.

Emails&Benghazi were totally bs

We fought for feminism, and got Trumpism instead.

Brianna Wu 2018
Hammy
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2017, 09:33:32 pm »
Ignore

It's quite a sad statement on society that this thread needs to exist.

click to read my comics.
pbrower2a
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2017, 05:59:15 am »
Ignore

It's the lack of civility that degrades political life. Does anyone think that the racist catcalls against President Obama did any real good? Many failed to recognize what a good President we had and found satisfaction in resisting everything that he did. Now look what we have!

Your political compass

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49
Drain the Grumpy Swamp
GM3PRP
YaBB God
Belgium
View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2017, 08:04:48 am »
Ignore

It's not about civility for the sake of civility. It's about the notion that the world would be a better place if someone died. .

See the Roger Ailes thread.

Grumps isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, and shouldn't be taken seriously

I won't be a little Inks.

Roll Eyes
Fearless Leader X
jdb
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2017, 10:48:44 am »
Ignore

Are people seriously debating about who it is okay to wish death upon? You really shouldn't be doing that at all, because it's just wrong. Just don't make those sort of comments, period.

Cool Grin Tongue Smiley Sad Huh Angry Wink Roll Eyes Undecided Cheesy
Shocked Lips sealed
#woke O'Malley 2020
Cathcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2017, 11:10:17 am »
Ignore

If you really can't engage in discourse on public life without vocally wishing for the death of those in power (particularly in your own country), there are other places for you.

-Martin O'Malley
mokbu
mokbubble
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2017, 01:10:54 pm »
Ignore

Are people seriously debating about who it is okay to wish death upon? You really shouldn't be doing that at all, because it's just wrong. Just don't make those sort of comments, period.
We're never gonna have it so good!
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2017, 03:52:30 pm »
Ignore

If you really can't engage in discourse on public life without vocally wishing for the death of those in power (particularly in your own country), there are other places for you.
Ding ding ding.

A Hybrid of Pat Buchanan and Bob Dylan.
Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2017, 06:01:33 pm »
Ignore

I agree, but how then, should we address those who support a prominent figure (who is now the President)  who does wish death on others? Should they be given a pass because they're only supporting it at one remove?

Many Trump supporters and opponents alike don't seem to want to even acknowledge that the Orange Menace regularly says things that fit well in the mouth of a war criminal and no where else.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 07:20:20 pm by Ghost of Ruin »Logged

Badger
badger
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2017, 12:19:45 am »
Ignore

LOL, I hope you somehow got my point
What kindergarten did you go to?!?! "Missy teacher, I HOPE YOU DIE A PAINFUL, LENGTHY DEATH SOON!"
I just said to them that I am not feminist but equalist and then I heard that Sad

Damn! And then your funniest post!

don't you see what riotous good discourse you are squelching here Torie?

Your self-serving slacktivism is propelling America to new heights.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
YaBB God
Antarctica

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2017, 02:56:11 pm »
Ignore

total cuck move etc etc

ah, just out of curiosity, will this be enforced consistently? will posts wishing for the violent death of e.g. abu bakr al-baghdadi be moderatable?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 03:41:26 pm by SUSAN CRUSHBONE »Logged

Torie
YaBB God
Samoa

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2017, 06:11:04 am »

total cuck move etc etc

ah, just out of curiosity, will this be enforced consistently? will posts wishing for the violent death of e.g. abu bakr al-baghdadi be moderatable?

Just read the commentary above for guidance on this. Thanks.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2017, 12:37:21 pm »
Ignore

Im with this guy for once.

EnglishPete
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2017, 12:50:00 pm »
Ignore

Civility is vastly overrated IMO.
Yea its kinda obvious that that's your opinion.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2017, 02:26:58 pm »
Ignore

You're the epitome of "I'm a good person because I'm polite when I say brown people are scary"

EnglishPete
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2017, 03:29:39 pm »
Ignore

You're the epitome of "I'm a good person because I'm polite when I say brown people are scary"

Human being are dangerous animals. Human life in the days before there was such a thing as government was, as Thomas Hobbes famously and rightly pointed out, nasty short and brutish. After generations and centuries and millennia of being subject to a strong and many times harsh process of domestication  (similar in many ways to the domestication of animals)  human populations around the world have gradually become more peaceful and civilised. However it is important that that pressure of domestication, what you might call enforced civility, is kept up otherwise the process will quickly start to revert and human society move back towards the nasty short and brutish state.
Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2017, 03:34:17 pm »
Ignore

What if we don't consider ExtremeRepublican/evergreen Donald Trump to be either an individual or a human being??

"Too often, we judge other(s)... by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions."

Economic: 1.38
Social: -2.36
Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2017, 07:17:07 pm »
Ignore

Human being are dangerous animals. Human life in the days before there was such a thing as government was, as Thomas Hobbes famously and rightly pointed out, nasty short and brutish. After generations and centuries and millennia of being subject to a strong and many times harsh process of domestication  (similar in many ways to the domestication of animals)  human populations around the world have gradually become more peaceful and civilised. However it is important that that pressure of domestication, what you might call enforced civility, is kept up otherwise the process will quickly start to revert and human society move back towards the nasty short and brutish state.

That's certainly something the strongmen, and those with a vested interest in perpetuating the status quo of the state like to tell us.

But what we actually find when we look is that when people are content - when they're not hungry, not scared for themselves or their loved ones, not in pain - then we all treat each other pretty well.

The enemy isn't the other. The enemy is suffering.

And isn't it just amazing how good people who want to be in charge are at making sure there is fear and want?

elcorazon
YaBB God

P
View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2017, 11:50:23 am »
Ignore

I am in agreement with this notion and therefore expect that no mention is made of the death penalty in any sort of positive tone as it is antithetical to this forum to wish, hope for, or endorse the death of another human being, whether if be OJ Simpson, Assad, Putin, Erdogan or Charles Manson.

"The most important thing to remember is, no matter what anybody tells you, it is never, ever unpatriotic or un-American to question anything in a democracy"
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2017, 05:28:39 pm »
Ignore

Yes, yes, yes the mention of the death penalty is a good one. Seeing as it is a legal punishment in many nations, are we allowed to say "I can only hope that Donald Trump/Erdogan/klartext is sentenced to death for their many crimes"?
#woke O'Malley 2020
Cathcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2017, 05:31:35 pm »
Ignore

Stop focusing on how you hate others and try instead to become a better person.

-Martin O'Malley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout