Please avoid making threats or wishing for violent crimes against any individual
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:27:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Please avoid making threats or wishing for violent crimes against any individual
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Please avoid making threats or wishing for violent crimes against any individual  (Read 79094 times)
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 05:24:06 PM »

It is sad that this is even necessary. People who are calling for violence against democratically elected officials are not only a public threat to other people/themselves but also to our country's electoral system and democratic values.

Good people don't wish death on public officials they have never met.
Good people don't make death threats against elected officials.

can we wish death upon officials not elected (like the mods?)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 05:26:32 PM »

Why is this so hard for you deviants again?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2017, 05:30:21 PM »

Civility is vastly overrated IMO. In all realms of politics.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2017, 05:33:43 PM »

It's not about civility for the sake of civility. It's about the notion that the world would be a better place if someone died. That's all well and good unless you are that person. I will admit I've struggled with this, especially with Trump. It just doesn't feel right. I'm... dare I use the phrase... pro-life? I want my political enemies defeated, not dead. We're not in a civil war... yet.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2017, 09:33:32 PM »

It's quite a sad statement on society that this thread needs to exist.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2017, 05:59:15 AM »

It's the lack of civility that degrades political life. Does anyone think that the racist catcalls against President Obama did any real good? Many failed to recognize what a good President we had and found satisfaction in resisting everything that he did. Now look what we have!

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2017, 08:04:48 AM »

It's not about civility for the sake of civility. It's about the notion that the world would be a better place if someone died. .

See the Roger Ailes thread.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2017, 10:48:44 AM »

Are people seriously debating about who it is okay to wish death upon? You really shouldn't be doing that at all, because it's just wrong. Just don't make those sort of comments, period.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2017, 11:10:17 AM »

If you really can't engage in discourse on public life without vocally wishing for the death of those in power (particularly in your own country), there are other places for you.
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2017, 01:10:54 PM »

Are people seriously debating about who it is okay to wish death upon? You really shouldn't be doing that at all, because it's just wrong. Just don't make those sort of comments, period.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2017, 03:52:30 PM »

If you really can't engage in discourse on public life without vocally wishing for the death of those in power (particularly in your own country), there are other places for you.
Ding ding ding.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2017, 06:01:33 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2017, 07:20:20 PM by Ghost of Ruin »

I agree, but how then, should we address those who support a prominent figure (who is now the President)  who does wish death on others? Should they be given a pass because they're only supporting it at one remove?

Many Trump supporters and opponents alike don't seem to want to even acknowledge that the Orange Menace regularly says things that fit well in the mouth of a war criminal and no where else.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2017, 12:19:45 AM »

LOL, I hope you somehow got my point
What kindergarten did you go to?!?! "Missy teacher, I HOPE YOU DIE A PAINFUL, LENGTHY DEATH SOON!"
I just said to them that I am not feminist but equalist and then I heard that Sad

Damn! And then your funniest post!

don't you see what riotous good discourse you are squelching here Torie?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2017, 02:56:11 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2017, 03:41:26 PM by SUSAN CRUSHBONE »

total cuck move etc etc

ah, just out of curiosity, will this be enforced consistently? will posts wishing for the violent death of e.g. abu bakr al-baghdadi be moderatable?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2017, 06:11:04 AM »

total cuck move etc etc

ah, just out of curiosity, will this be enforced consistently? will posts wishing for the violent death of e.g. abu bakr al-baghdadi be moderatable?

Just read the commentary above for guidance on this. Thanks.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2017, 12:37:21 PM »

Im with this guy for once.
EnglishPete

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2017, 12:50:00 PM »

Yea its kinda obvious that that's your opinion.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2017, 02:26:58 PM »

You're the epitome of "I'm a good person because I'm polite when I say brown people are scary"
EnglishPete

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2017, 03:29:39 PM »

You're the epitome of "I'm a good person because I'm polite when I say brown people are scary"

Human being are dangerous animals. Human life in the days before there was such a thing as government was, as Thomas Hobbes famously and rightly pointed out, nasty short and brutish. After generations and centuries and millennia of being subject to a strong and many times harsh process of domestication  (similar in many ways to the domestication of animals)  human populations around the world have gradually become more peaceful and civilised. However it is important that that pressure of domestication, what you might call enforced civility, is kept up otherwise the process will quickly start to revert and human society move back towards the nasty short and brutish state.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2017, 03:34:17 PM »

What if we don't consider ExtremeRepublican/evergreen Donald Trump to be either an individual or a human being??
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2017, 07:17:07 PM »

Human being are dangerous animals. Human life in the days before there was such a thing as government was, as Thomas Hobbes famously and rightly pointed out, nasty short and brutish. After generations and centuries and millennia of being subject to a strong and many times harsh process of domestication  (similar in many ways to the domestication of animals)  human populations around the world have gradually become more peaceful and civilised. However it is important that that pressure of domestication, what you might call enforced civility, is kept up otherwise the process will quickly start to revert and human society move back towards the nasty short and brutish state.

That's certainly something the strongmen, and those with a vested interest in perpetuating the status quo of the state like to tell us.

But what we actually find when we look is that when people are content - when they're not hungry, not scared for themselves or their loved ones, not in pain - then we all treat each other pretty well.

The enemy isn't the other. The enemy is suffering.

And isn't it just amazing how good people who want to be in charge are at making sure there is fear and want?
elcorazon

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2017, 11:50:23 AM »

I am in agreement with this notion and therefore expect that no mention is made of the death penalty in any sort of positive tone as it is antithetical to this forum to wish, hope for, or endorse the death of another human being, whether if be OJ Simpson, Assad, Putin, Erdogan or Charles Manson.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2017, 05:28:39 PM »

Yes, yes, yes the mention of the death penalty is a good one. Seeing as it is a legal punishment in many nations, are we allowed to say "I can only hope that Donald Trump/Erdogan/klartext is sentenced to death for their many crimes"?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2017, 05:31:35 PM »

Stop focusing on how you hate others and try instead to become a better person.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2017, 05:34:24 PM »

Stop focusing on how you hate others and try instead to become a better person.

I'm just asking questions, buddy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies