BNC new - Gay (married) Republican, army veteran & small business owner !
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:30:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  BNC new - Gay (married) Republican, army veteran & small business owner !
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: BNC new - Gay (married) Republican, army veteran & small business owner !  (Read 5919 times)
Shadows
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 18, 2017, 07:31:48 AM »
« edited: June 01, 2017, 04:12:33 AM by Shadows »

Name - Alexandria Ocasio
District - New York - 14

Party primary - Democratic
Race - Hispanic
Gender - Female

2016 Result -

Democratic    Joseph Crowley    82.9%   
Republican     Frank Spotorno   17.1%   

About the candidate -

I was in college at Boston University, studying economics and international relations while working for Ted Kennedy, when Citizens United passed. After I graduated I started to get more interested in social enterprise - something I'd already done in West Africa helping create small business loans for women entrepreneurs. Here in America, I got involved with the National Hispanic Institute training high-ability Latino youth in honing their business skills. I finally got to return to the Bronx where I launched Brook Avenue Press, dedicated to developing products and curriculum focused on childhood intervention and literacy.

The economic downturn and the death of my father from cancer impacted my life tremendously. To make ends meet for my family, I started picking up side gigs. Working as a waitress and bartender - and later as an advocate for those in the hospitality industry - was another turning point in my life, reinforcing for me just how many among us are denied a voice in our government.

https://brandnewcongress.org/Candidates/Alexandria-Ocasio

Name - Anthony Clark
District - Illinois - 07

Race - African American
Gender - Male

2016 Result -

Democratic   Green check    84.2%   
Republican     Jeffrey Leef   15.8%

About the candidate -

After high school and six years in the military, I earned a degree in Communications and a Master’s degree in Criminal Justice. I am proud to be a teacher at the Oak Park and River Forest High School. I founded Suburban Unity Alliance -- to work to end discrimination in our communities and to help fund good causes that may need a helping financial hand. It’s why I led a delegation to the Women’s March in D.C. and why I fought hard for the Welcoming Village ordinance recently passed in Oak Park.

After the daily pledge of allegiance, a student asked me “If we end the pledge with liberty and justice for all, why are there so many people in this country without liberty and denied justice?” It is a big part of the reason I am running to be your next U.S Representative.

https://brandnewcongress.org/Candidates/Anthony-Clark

Name - Adrienne Bell
District - Texas 14

Race - African American
Gender - Female

2016 Result -

Republican      Randy Weber     61.9%   
Democratic   Michael Cole      38.1%

About the candidate -

I got my first job when I was 13, and did a bit of everything along the way.  Because my parents never got to finish their education, I knew how important it was for me to finish mine. It wasn’t easy as a single mother, working full time, and it took me a long time. But today I’m proud to say my children and I are all first generation college graduates. In fact, I graduated with my Bachelor’s degree in Business Management the same time as my son.

But I was hungry for more, so I chased my dream and pursued my Masters in Education. Today I work for the largest school district in Texas and I am currently working on my PhD in Education Administration. I served as the Community Outreach Director for Sylvia Garcia's successful Senate campaign. In 2013, I brought the Battleground Texas vision to the Houston/Gulf Coast area, serving as the Deputy Field Director, with responsibility for a 13 county area.

https://brandnewcongress.org/Candidates/Adrienne-Bell

Name - Michael A. Hepburn
District - Florida - 27

Race - African American
Gender - Male

2016 Result -

Republican           Ros-Lehtinen    54.9%   
Democratic   Scott Fuhrman   45.1%

About the candidate -

Born and raised in one of Miami’s poorest neighborhood,  Michael grew up living in a public housing complex with his sister and his single mother . Michael is an energetic and innovative Business School Senior Academic Advisor and a start-up Nonprofit Vice President. A Silver Knight, Civic Activist and Youth Mentor – Michael currently serves on the City of Miami Parks & Recreation Advisory Board; Allapattah Neighborhood Association; Miami Police Citizens-On-Patrol; and the Miami Dade Democratic Executive Committee. He’s a proud Miami native and Alumnus of Florida International University and Miami Dade County.

https://brandnewcongress.org/Candidates/Michael-A-Hepburn

Name - Robb Ryerse
District - Arkansas - 03
Party primary - Republican

Race - White
Gender - Male

2016 Result -

Republican         Steve Womack     77.3%   
Libertarian          Steve Isaacson   22.7%

About the candidate -

After college, I spent 10 years pastoring churches in New York City, the suburbs of Boston, and Central Michigan. I witnessed people being shunned or turned away from churches because they had different views on issues or made different lifestyle choices. It’s been twelve years since we threw open the doors of Vintage Fellowship. We welcome all people - LGBT and folks from all backgrounds, creeds and colors. Even skeptics are encouraged to join. We recently joined a group called OPEN, which is an alliance of progressive-leaning churches that embrace our view of Christianity. We are committed to lending a hand to anyone who needs it including aiding the resettlement of refugees in our district, something our current congressmen tried to shut down. In addition to my ministry, I hold down a full time job. That way I can provide for my family and free up more of our church's resources to help others in need.

I am a lifelong Republican - with the subscription to National Review to prove it. I’m joining Brand New Congress because I believe my party has lost their way. My oldest is about to head off to college. Vanessa and I are nervously eyeing college tuition bills - something we haven’t faced since we were in school. It’s easy to see why the cost of college keeps people up at night, and it’s disgraceful of today’s Congressional leaders to ignore the obstacles faced by working families. How can a kid from Arkansas have any chance to become the next Sam Walton with the deck stacked so high against them?

https://brandnewcongress.org/Candidates/Robb-Ryerse
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 08:42:19 AM »

Why do you post in the form of press releases?
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 08:45:17 AM »

Why do you post in the form of press releases?

Thought it was amusing ! Anyways

@ Topic

Back in April, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee reported they conducted 205 interviews with potential candidates. Together and in that same timeframe, Justice Democrats and Brand New Congress have more than doubled that activity, interviewing over 500 potential candidates (not counting the 9,000+ nominees we've talked to).

When it comes to the Grassroots vs. the "professionals" — it is clear that energy and passion are far more valuable than even tens of millions of dollars. Passion is what fuels our movement. It is what will help the people of this nation take back our Congress, our parties, and our country from corporations.

(They have looked at 424 districts & held a 2 day boot camp & are creating flyers & are coming up with training sessions).
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 08:47:56 AM »

This organization is a bunch of horse hockey.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 09:17:24 AM »

Enough Shadows Spam.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 09:32:22 AM »

If these people want to be taken seriously, I hope some of the 9000+ they've spoken with are being encouraged to run for state and local offices, too.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 09:33:23 AM »

Also, there is a zero percent chance Queens party boss Joe Crowley loses a primary, to anyone. Isn't he fairly progressive anyways?
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 09:58:28 AM »

Most of the primary opponents will probably be junk, but I do like the guy they have running in ILR's district.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 10:59:57 AM »

Also, there is a zero percent chance Queens party boss Joe Crowley loses a primary, to anyone. Isn't he fairly progressive anyways?
Yeah, he's pretty progressive.

He's also in the midst of taking out a Queens-based Senator who just took up with the IDC. BNC is moronic for even thinking of taking him on.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 11:21:40 AM »

AR-03?

Are they going to put up people in KY-05, TN-01, AL-04 and TX-19 just to see if any of them can break 25%?
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 11:26:04 AM »

AR-03?

Are they going to put up people in KY-05, TN-01, AL-04 and TX-19 just to see if any of them can break 25%?
Look again - Republican. Granted, he probably won't pass the primary, but still.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 11:36:20 AM »
« Edited: May 18, 2017, 11:38:08 AM by Shadows »

Yeah, he's pretty progressive.

He's also in the midst of taking out a Queens-based Senator who just took up with the IDC. BNC is moronic for even thinking of taking him on.

Joe Crawley is a strong progressive. His record on abortion used to be terrible, but then he changed. He has many corruption allegations, was dragged before the Ethics committee on a wide range of fundraising issues including allegation of watering down bills to help his donors He is a New Democrat or atleast used to be. He doesn't support HR-676, Medicare-for-all ! There is sufficient groups for challenging him, you can atleast try & fail !

Brand New Congress will be fighting in most seats, more than 200 & not every seat will be easy, there will be barely a dozen moderate or competitive seats, the rest will be tough campaigns with low odds, like the entire Bernie Sanders' campaign was. But if the candidates are good & they run a great campaign, there is always an outside chance.

One of the big issues with Brand New Congress is that every candidate has to take a pledge to take 0 Pac, Super-pac money so they will be going with that motto ! In a democracy, you can primary as much you want - Everyone has the right !
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 11:52:01 AM »

The Arkansas Republican seems like a crunchy con.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 11:53:26 AM »

If these people want to be taken seriously, I hope some of the 9000+ they've spoken with are being encouraged to run for state and local offices, too.

They will probably be running 200-250 races. BNC & Justice Dems have said they have the energy to try for atleast 6-8 years & don't expect big wins in 2018 - Maybe 8-10 to be realistic. The Blue Dog's 18 odd number should be the target ! All these 1000's of candidates that they spoken to should not give up on the political process & should stay involved & run in local races, state legislatures & climb up!

For example - Cori Bush got 13% odd with virtually nothing in the Senate Dem primary for Missouri in 2016 (Kander won the primary). She is new running for the House in 2018 (Missouri-01). One good thing is it will force primary opponents in safe seats to push to the left & adopt progressive policy positions!

_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 11:55:00 AM »

They will probably be running 200-250 races. BNC & Justice Dems have said they have the energy to try for atleast 6-8 years & don't expect big wins in 2018 - Maybe 8-10 to be realistic. The Blue Dog's 18 odd number should be the target ! All these 1000's of candidates that they spoken to should not give up on the political process & should stay involved & run in local races, state legislatures & climb up!

For example - Cori Bush got 13% odd with virtually nothing in the Senate Dem primary for Missouri in 2016 (Kander won the primary). She is new running for the House in 2018 (Missouri-01). One good thing is it will force primary opponents in safe seats to push to the left & adopt progressive policy positions!

Please no, I like my Rep Dan Lipinski being a Blue Dog Democrat.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 11:58:18 AM »

Well, if you like him, he'll probably stay in office !
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 12:04:44 PM »

PAC money is fine, praise be to the LCV and small-ticket items like Launch Progress.

Super PACs are the problem.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 12:49:16 PM »

Definitely a "take it where you can get it" strategy rather than aiming at particular seats that could elect someone a lot more progressive than the current incumbent.

Again, DSA > Justice Dems.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 01:28:23 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2017, 01:31:55 PM by Shameless Bernie Hack »

Knowing of the people involved (at least on the BNC side), the "strategy" they're trying to adopt, and their organizing philosophy, I feel really sorry for the recruits. They're going to get no support, no (useful) training, and are just gonna lose horribly.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 06:47:10 PM »

I quite like your rep as well.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 10:42:28 PM »

AR-03?

Texas had an all Democratic delegation when some guy named George HW Bush ran for congress in 1966. Things can change.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2017, 03:43:25 AM »

"Justice Democrats" in TX-14, AR-03 and even FL-27? I did't know whether it's better to weep or laugh loudly....
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2017, 04:05:19 AM »

"Justice Democrats" in TX-14, AR-03 and even FL-27? I did't know whether it's better to weep or laugh loudly....

Just imagine what happens when they're crazy enough to run a progressive somewhere like Idaho or Texas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Church
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Yarborough
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2017, 07:45:56 AM »

Crowley is an FF. If you want to take on an NYC Democrat, why not Espaillat who has actually supported and campaigned for a member of the IDC?

Or better yet one of the IDC people themselves.

Danny K. Davis should be primaried though.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2017, 07:47:44 AM »

The one in AR-03 is a Republican.

Also I don't think being a progressive is a death sentence in FL-27, unless you're also a terrible candidate in addition to being a progressive.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies