Should we really be ruling out a Hillary 2020 run?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:03:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Should we really be ruling out a Hillary 2020 run?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Should we really be ruling out a Hillary 2020 run?  (Read 5030 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 18, 2017, 11:51:33 AM »
« edited: May 18, 2017, 12:03:56 PM by PittsburghSteel »

Just as the title says, should we really be writing off the chances of Hillary making a 3rd presidential run? Think about it. It's not completely impossible, especially if concrete evidence comes out proving Trump did use Russia to steal the election from her. Something that looks more and more likely each day.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 11:53:21 AM »

STOP
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 11:53:37 AM »

Yes. I was one of her strongest supporters, and I would not support her. She would have no chance, with many new candidates, and there is no way the party would unite behind her, and with her being such a bad candidate.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 12:06:41 PM »

It's still her turn.

cvparty
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 12:30:08 PM »

absolutely
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 12:34:06 PM »

Maybe we shouldn't rule out a run, but she's not winning the Democratic primary.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 12:39:25 PM »

Maybe we shouldn't rule out a run, but she's not winning the Democratic primary.

Never underestimate the Dems ability to flush their electoral chances down the toilet. If she runs, it means the party has learned nothing, and likely everybody will clear the way for her nomination again.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 12:48:49 PM »

The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 01:04:14 PM »

Yes.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 01:31:05 PM »

Third time was the charm for Reagan.

Nixon came back and won after losing a national election.

I believe in Hillary. Sexist teenagers on forum boards cannot stop her.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 01:34:13 PM »

No.
Tancred
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 01:48:06 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2017, 01:52:14 PM by Tancred »

Hillary Clinton might run again but I don't think she will win and I don't think other Democrats will stand aside for her. Clinton would be fighting in a crowded field and I could see a "never Hillary" movement developing that would eventually back whoever is left standing against her. Clinton does have a lot of loyal followers so I wouldn't discount her ability to put up a good fight in the primary. It would be another ugly primary though.

So in short, no I would not rule out a Hillary 2020 run even though I don't think she will win the nomination.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 01:52:20 PM »

Unfortunately, no.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 02:51:38 PM »

LOL, yes.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 03:29:27 PM »

Yes. She lost to Donald Trump. I supported her but I don't know why some are so insistent on making this happen. She lost just like Gore and Kerry. Move on.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 03:48:19 PM »

Reagan never lost the General, and Nixon didn't lose against one of the most hated candidates in history. And calling people sexist for not supporting a do-over from an incompetent, widely unpopular candidate who managed to lose three longtime Dem states to Trump of all people, is nothing short of hackery and is not the best way to convince people to support a third run.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 04:21:54 PM »

Reagan never lost the General, and Nixon didn't lose against one of the most hated candidates in history. And calling people sexist for not supporting a do-over from an incompetent, widely unpopular candidate who managed to lose three longtime Dem states to Trump of all people, is nothing short of hackery and is not the best way to convince people to support a third run.

Comey isn't a factor anymore so her poll numbers in regards to favorability will be very high this time. By 2020 millennials will make up just under 40% of the electorate and they will vote for her in vengeance over what Donald Trump having realized the error of their ways in 2016.

Madame. President. 2020.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 04:30:09 PM »

Comey isn't a factor anymore so her poll numbers in regards to favorability will be very high this time. By 2020 millennials will make up just under 40% of the electorate and they will vote for her in vengeance over what Donald Trump having realized the error of their ways in 2016.

Madame. President. 2020.

I do hope this is sarcasm. I really do.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 04:37:26 PM »

I hate to break it to you Timmy, but the online sexists won, and decency lost, as the former had the patriarchy behind them.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 04:37:53 PM »

Comey isn't a factor anymore so her poll numbers in regards to favorability will be very high this time. By 2020 millennials will make up just under 40% of the electorate

Clearly the perfect time to run a woman born in 1947.

The time has come for the postwar generation to depart from the stage.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 04:50:45 PM »

I hate to break it to you Timmy, but the online sexists won, and decency lost, as the former had the patriarchy behind them.

Sexism isn't to blame for Clinton's incompetence--he people that refused to vote for her because she was a woman, would likely not have voted for any Democrat in the first place. And going with this reason makes the same mistakes of nominating somebody who is reviled and unable to run a competent campaign even more likely to be repeated.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 04:53:41 PM »

Sexism isn't to blame for Clinton's incompetence--he people that refused to vote for her because she was a woman, would likely not have voted for any Democrat in the first place. And going with this reason makes the same mistakes of nominating somebody who is reviled and unable to run a competent campaign even more likely to be repeated.

Seriously, is there ANYTHING worse than the smug, self-assuring look of liberal political commentators who repeat this COMPLETELY baseless, self-congratulating trope?  Someone who refuses to vote for any woman couldn't vote for a male Democrat regularly?  Show me the proof of that bullshlt, LOL.  Until then, I'll trust my anecdotal experience, which says that could not be further from the truth.
MM876
Rookie
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 04:57:36 PM »

Reagan ran for the nomination twice, and when he finally got it he won in a landslide.

Nixon ran eight years later against an entirely different opponent after losing the election to a charismatic rising star by the slimmest of margins.

Hillary lost to the worst candidate in American history (arguably making her, by default, the worst candidate in American history) when she was supposed to beat him by around 4-5 points and win the election by a comfortable margin.

She is not Reagan. She is not Nixon. At best she is Adlai Stevenson II, and if you're saying "Who?" right now, my point is already proven.

Hillary may run, she will not win the primary, she will not win the general election, and she will manage to embarrass the Clinton name one last time before she and Bill pass.

Sexist teenagers on forum boards won't stop her, the American people will stop her if the Democrats don't. I see no way how being four years older and four more years out of touch will help her. Polls may show her ahead now, as they did before 2016, but that gap will narrow when people remember what a horrible candidate she is and she will lose again.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 04:59:41 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2017, 05:03:15 PM by Hammy »

Seriously, is there ANYTHING worse than the smug, self-assuring look of liberal political commentators who repeat this COMPLETELY baseless, self-congratulating trope?  Someone who refuses to vote for any woman couldn't vote for a male Democrat regularly?  Show me the proof of that bullshlt, LOL.  Until then, I'll trust my anecdotal experience, which says that could not be further from the truth.

Based on personal experience, this has absolutely been the case. Everyone I've ever come across that refused to vote for a women (on those grounds) are all hardline conservatives--not saying all conservatives have this mindset mind you. And bear in mind there were many who voted for her as well solely on those grounds. And are you, a Republican, actually going to take the side of Dems playing the sexism card because their side didn't win?
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2017, 05:10:18 PM »

Seriously, is there ANYTHING worse than the smug, self-assuring look of liberal political commentators who repeat this COMPLETELY baseless, self-congratulating trope?  Someone who refuses to vote for any woman couldn't vote for a male Democrat regularly?  Show me the proof of that bullshlt, LOL.  Until then, I'll trust my anecdotal experience, which says that could not be further from the truth.

Based on personal experience, this has absolutely been the case. Everyone I've ever come across that refused to vote for a women (on those grounds) are all hardline conservatives--not saying all conservatives have this mindset mind you. And bear in mind there were many who voted for her as well solely on those grounds. And are you, a Republican, actually going to take the side of Dems playing the sexism card because their side didn't win?

Tom voted for Clinton, so his preferred candidate didn't win. I agree with his claim, although conversely, people who cared enough about electing a woman president to the point that they voted for Clinton are unlikely to have voted for a Republican otherwise.

Anyways, to the original question posed, Yes. Many of you may think she's overly ambitious, but she's not stupid. She knows she won't win. The people who want her to run again badly are ones who want Trump to win again.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies