Trump approval ratings thread 1.1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:19:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump approval ratings thread 1.1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 78
Author Topic: Trump approval ratings thread 1.1  (Read 202083 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 29, 2017, 04:55:30 PM »

Good on Trump. He's doing better to this point than one of the greatest presidents that ever lived. Impressive and congratulations, gotta give him this one.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #151 on: May 29, 2017, 04:56:42 PM »

Trump is unique in the presidential ratings in that he squandered all the goodwill by February. Bill Clinton did the same in his first 200 days but he was skillful enough to rebuild the capital and keep it afloat to a credible level throughout his two terms. His early blunders of 1993-1995 are almost nothing like Trump's blunders. They're policy related and some scandals but nothing on the level of Trump's.

They're on two separate planets although I will say Trump reminds me of a much less able and competent Clinton. Clinton was more focused on winning 50% of the two party vote at almost all times and had the experience of the Arkansas governorship behind him. Trump literally does not grasp political capital or the art of keeping his coalition together enough to pass a law and maintain his ratings.

Remember this. Bill Clinton rebounded after that low and didn't hit negative ratings until fall 1994 to the Oklahoma bombing in April 1995. Trump has been underwater for months with strongly disapprove climbing.

Also Bill Clinton had the economic expansion left to him by George H.W. Bush while Trump might hit a recession within the next two years.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #152 on: May 29, 2017, 05:01:26 PM »

It's not likely that Trump will see the improvement in his numbers that Bill Clinton did.  Clinton had his faults, but he was personable, intelligent, and adaptable.  His Presidency started out poorly, and he learned from that and changed directions; things got better for him after that (there were other factors, of course).  Trump shows no indications of being similarly adaptable.

Also, a lot of people who initially disapproved of Clinton were persuadable.  A large portion of the anti-Trump group hates Trump with a passion, and will never be persuaded.  Even if he had Clinton's ability in this area, Trump faces a much firmer opposition.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #153 on: May 29, 2017, 09:02:16 PM »

Good on Trump. He's doing better to this point than one of the greatest presidents that ever lived. Impressive and congratulations, gotta give him this one.

You are such a strange character, Beet.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #154 on: May 29, 2017, 09:03:40 PM »

Were you here for his Republican phase?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #155 on: May 29, 2017, 10:21:43 PM »

Were you here for his Republican phase?

I'm not sure, but it definitely sounds like something he'd do. Was it just after the election and he went all pro-Trump or something?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #156 on: May 30, 2017, 02:05:22 AM »

Trump is unique in the presidential ratings in that he squandered all the goodwill by February. Bill Clinton did the same in his first 200 days but he was skillful enough to rebuild the capital and keep it afloat to a credible level throughout his two terms. His early blunders of 1993-1995 are almost nothing like Trump's blunders. They're policy related and some scandals but nothing on the level of Trump's.

They're on two separate planets although I will say Trump reminds me of a much less able and competent Clinton. Clinton was more focused on winning 50% of the two party vote at almost all times and had the experience of the Arkansas governorship behind him. Trump literally does not grasp political capital or the art of keeping his coalition together enough to pass a law and maintain his ratings.

Remember this. Bill Clinton rebounded after that low and didn't hit negative ratings until fall 1994 to the Oklahoma bombing in April 1995. Trump has been underwater for months with strongly disapprove climbing.

Also Bill Clinton had the economic expansion left to him by George H.W. Bush while Trump might hit a recession within the next two years.

Two additional points:
1) Clinton only won the election with about 43% of the vote. One of the lowest pluralities along with Nixon in 68 of any winner in the previous century. A telling comparison IMHO.

2) While a lot can happen, what does the result of Clinton's following mid-term election forecast about 2018?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #157 on: May 30, 2017, 06:02:34 AM »

1) Clinton only won the election with about 43% of the vote. One of the lowest pluralities along with Nixon in 68 of any winner in the previous century. A telling comparison IMHO.

Nixon's and Clinton's first elections both had very strong third-party candidates.  Of course the winning vote share was lower than a typical election.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #158 on: May 30, 2017, 06:29:59 AM »

Highly controversial Trump is doing pretty well getting about 40% Approval among All Adults in the middle of Russia-scandal.

The likeliest worst case scenario is that Mueller's investigation will be inconclusive - Trumps campaign met Russians something something highly careless something something but no evidence. Probably not even that.

To my surprise MSM gambled a lot on RussiaGate. I think they thought they can beat him now, causing eroding of Approvals and impeachment or similar. Well, they seemingly failed.
When investigation is over, the rest of their credibility will be over as well, while Trump's "crazy" statement about "FakeNews" will be kind of justified.

In 2016 Trump was seriously hit by P***yGate. Really f**king seriously damaged by that (el tiempo todo calma). You better hope there is Pgate 2.0 or that Bernie will run.

P.S. The hope of business cycle something something recession is also an alternative Roll Eyes
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #159 on: May 30, 2017, 07:13:49 AM »
« Edited: May 30, 2017, 07:16:52 AM by superbudgie1582 »

Highly controversial Trump is doing pretty well getting about 40% Approval among All Adults in the middle of Russia-scandal.

The likeliest worst case scenario is that Mueller's investigation will be inconclusive - Trumps campaign met Russians something something highly careless something something but no evidence. Probably not even that.

To my surprise MSM gambled a lot on RussiaGate. I think they thought they can beat him now, causing eroding of Approvals and impeachment or similar. Well, they seemingly failed.
When investigation is over, the rest of their credibility will be over as well, while Trump's "crazy" statement about "FakeNews" will be kind of justified.

In 2016 Trump was seriously hit by P***yGate. Really f**king seriously damaged by that (el tiempo todo calma). You better hope there is Pgate 2.0 or that Bernie will run.

P.S. The hope of business cycle something something recession is also an alternative Roll Eyes

Im sorry but I had to make an account just to respond to this. No president in our history does "pretty well" with 38%-42% approval ratings. No president has been re-elected with those numbers and no president has kept congress with those numbers. More to the point, Nixon's approval ratings were in the 50s when the Watergate trial started.  F.Y.I, Trump went from even approvals to double digit disapprovals, he has been damaged.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #160 on: May 30, 2017, 08:50:04 AM »

Ipsos, May 21-25 compared to May 16-20
All Adults:
38 (+1)
56 (-1)
LV:
41 (+3)
55 (-3)

Rasmussen
LV:
44 (-1)
56 (+1)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #161 on: May 30, 2017, 09:41:06 AM »

So, Rassy is yet trolling again? 45% seems definitely too high. But if true, would be shocking.

Why? Gallup already has him back up to 42%. 46% of Americans who voted in 2016 cast their ballot for Trump. It doesn't particularly surprise me that he would retain, despite his abysmal Presidency, the support of the same people who didn't care about his countless other controversies and scandals during the campaign. As far as they are concerned, most of this negative press coverage is just "fake news."

It is shocking because we have a dude who is grossly incompetent and at least mentally unstable, if not insane. He has nothing accomplished so far, but destroyed confidence in America across the globe, especially among our allies. Except signing orders (something that he criticized Obama for, total hypocrisy), he got nothing done, because he’s incompetent and ineffective as a political operator. I would be very disappointed as a Trump-supporter. Just look at the record: Health-care? Only passed the house in second attempt by a narrow margin, but no chance it passes the senate. The budget? Dead on arrival according to GOP senators. The wall? Nothing has happened at all. But Mexico surely will pay in the end. Tax reform? Several different proposals, but none out of committee on the congressional floor. Drain the swamp? LOL. Just look at his cabinet. The so-called Muslim ban? Unconstitutional crap suspended by courts. And so far only the policy side. Let alone the Russia scandal, Flynn and the potential obstruction of justice. For a president with this devastating record, approximately 45% approval is shockingly high.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #162 on: May 30, 2017, 10:30:27 AM »

Pretty well? That's horrible. It means that 40% of the American people approve of some behavior that no prior President would have ever dreamed of.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If there is something there, then there will be a money trail. The FBI hires large numbers of accountants capable of piecing together the movement of money and attempts to conceal transactions. It's often the accountants who discover how money moved that has made arrests, subsequent prosecutions, and subsequent convictions of gangsters, drug traffickers, and terrorists possible. You can count on this: any investigation of high-level wrong-doing is highly secretive. Good criminal investigations leak out only such information as might cause a suspect to do something that might self-incriminate.

Mainstream media knows the standard operating procedure of the FBI. The media keep their presses quiet when there are no official sources leaking data. If anything they might leak what the FBI tells them with the intent to spook wrong-doers. The investigation will be completed, if at all, either with a recognition that the stories of "Russiagate" were either basically innocent or were damnable, with some truth being revealed in formal arrests and the big truth being released in criminal trials or in sentencing of people who plea-bargain their way out of worse.

Let the investigation take the time needed. That's all that I can hope for, just as was done with investigations of drug trafficking or with people connected to September 11.

By the way -- what are the consequences should this story be true? What if Russian intelligence figures interfered in our political process? That's how Stalin consolidated Commie rule in such countries as Romania, Poland, Hungary, and Czechoslovakia. Maybe our institutions aren't as weak as those of countries recently delivered from the rule of Nazi puppets if not the Nazis themselves. I have my suspicious about the whole d@mn election of 2016. If there were connections between Donald Trump and the Republican Party with Russian intelligence services that made the Party's win possible and they get away with it, then it is entirely possible that the Republican Party will have a lock on American politics nearly as secure as that of Commies in Romania, Poland, Hungary, and Czechoslovakia between the late 1940s and the late 1980s. 

It amazes me that he got away with it. His statement that he grabbed women by their crotches should have discredited him. Surely you heard the speech by Mitt Romney in early 2016... that sort of language should have offended the sensibilities of any Christian who believes in 'family values'. We're talking about sexual assault, of not rape. A black punk who did that to pretty white girl without her consent would go to prison for such -- and, if I were on a jury on a case in which it could be proved, I would vote to convict and ask for a sentence. Race is not the issue; consent is.

But there are bigger matters to the Right, like having a government responsible exclusively to the economic elites.  Government of the money, by the money, and for the money? I could learn to drive on the left side of the road, if necessary.   

Hope? Certainty. Economic inequity usually intensified before a financial panic because consumers are no longer able to spend the money. Think about it. If I go from $15K a year to $50K a year, then there are plenty of things on which I can spend money -- from a new car to better housing to fine dining to nice clothes.   
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #163 on: May 30, 2017, 12:08:12 PM »

Gallup (May 29th)

Approve 41% (-1)
Disapprove 54% (+1)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #164 on: May 30, 2017, 12:34:27 PM »

Her analysis isn't grounded in fantasy, it's pretty reasonable. The recession will probably erode some of his support (PNM - lower tax receipts might be a sign of a slowing economy by the way). A lot of his support is probably because the good times are strong enough for people to be able to ignore the forest fire of the White House.

Just thought I'd drop this here: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/30/debt-ceiling-lift-238861

Debt ceiling fight being moved up because apparently tax revenue was lower than expected:

(not sure if this was already news somewhere else and you were referring to it, so discard this if so)
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #165 on: May 30, 2017, 01:22:18 PM »

Tennessee:

52% Approve

The poll in Novemver was conducted after the election.
Just a clarification.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #166 on: May 30, 2017, 01:27:13 PM »

Tennessee:

52% Approve

52A in TN?? o___O
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #167 on: May 30, 2017, 01:28:50 PM »

Arch, if you don't mind me asking, what city in WI do you live in?
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #168 on: May 30, 2017, 01:52:54 PM »

Their latest poll before the election (9/19 - 10/2) showed Trump at 44% (+11 compared to Clinton). Reality? Trump 61% (+26% compared to Clinton). Perspective.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/tn/tennessee_trump_vs_clinton-5911.html
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #169 on: May 30, 2017, 02:17:29 PM »

lol...still talking about the election?...GET OVER IT

No, about the quality of the pollster Wink
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #170 on: May 30, 2017, 05:02:55 PM »

Ipsos, May 21-25 compared to May 16-20
All Adults:
38 (+1)
56 (-1)
LV:
41 (+3)
55 (-3)

Ipsos, May 25-29 compared to May 21-25
All Adults:
40 (+2)
55 (-1)
LV:
43 (+2)
54 (-1)
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #171 on: May 31, 2017, 06:00:57 AM »

Morning Consult, May 25-30 compared to May 18-22

RV:
45 (-1)
51 (+1)

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/31/trump-impeach-polling-238947
http://www.politico.com/f/?id=0000015c-5adf-d8e5-adff-5fffa65d0001
http://www.politico.com/f/?id=0000015c-5ade-df5d-abfd-7bde8e000001
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #172 on: May 31, 2017, 08:35:14 AM »

Civitas (R) poll of North Carolina registered voters (change from mid-April):

Trump Approval:

Approve 42% (-6)