Trump approval ratings thread 1.1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:02:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump approval ratings thread 1.1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 78
Author Topic: Trump approval ratings thread 1.1  (Read 202118 times)
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: July 26, 2017, 11:05:18 AM »

Also from that poll, 49% of Trump supporters believe he won the popular vote.  40% believe Clinton won it.

And Trump voters wonder why everyone thinks theyre ignorant

*puts on MAGA hat* He did win the popular vote; the millions of votes by illegals don't count!

Remove L.A. and NYC and what's the popular vote? I'd say those areas are not culturally representative of most of America.

Neither is West Virginia nor Wyoming.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #826 on: July 26, 2017, 11:07:25 AM »

Also from that poll, 49% of Trump supporters believe he won the popular vote.  40% believe Clinton won it.

*puts on MAGA hat* He did win the popular vote; the millions of votes by illegals don't count!

Remove L.A. and NYC and what's the popular vote? I'd say those areas are not culturally representative of most of America.

More than L.A. or NYC.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #827 on: July 26, 2017, 11:10:19 AM »

More than L.A. or NYC.

Ummm... you think the U.S. population more closely resembles Wyoming and West Virginia than New York and California? Literally what planet are you on?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #828 on: July 26, 2017, 11:12:35 AM »

These days, the big cities are generally the home of productive people who are paying for the rest of the country.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #829 on: July 26, 2017, 11:12:53 AM »

Since when did the right to vote in American elections depend on how closely they supposedly represent the rest of America? But we already know what you mean by that comment. Heavily minority areas should have their votes eliminated.

I didn't say that, did I?

I'd actually think Iowa, Michigan, Florida and Ohio are most representative of "America", all of which your party lost last year, incase you've forgotten.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #830 on: July 26, 2017, 11:13:59 AM »

NYC and LA probably produce more American culture and innovation than the rest of the US. Where do nearly all music, art, movies, literature, banking, technological breakthroughs, etc come from but the big cities?

I'd say were far more culturally representative than vast swaths of nothing that we subsidize
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #831 on: July 26, 2017, 11:20:43 AM »

The big cities of America like Los Angeles are just as every bit of American as the small, rural communities like Elliott County.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #832 on: July 26, 2017, 11:23:01 AM »

Irrespective of cultural differences, how does the fact that I live in a liberal coastal area make my vote matter less? Isn't any part of America, by definition, part of American culture?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #833 on: July 26, 2017, 11:27:08 AM »

The big cities of America like Los Angeles are just as every bit of American as the small, rural communities like Elliott County.

Every American is a "real" American, just as every part of America is "real" America. Enough of these dumbass Republicans trying to pretend they're somehow more American than others. I know it's hard for them to accept that not everyone is White, straight, cisgender, and Christian like in their idealized suburbs and small towns, but facts are facts. They may not like urban and coastal America, but we don't like them either. But we do have to tolerate each other. And funny thing is, you never hear us claiming they're not "real" America. They're the ones who're culturally and demographically out of touch with present-day America.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #834 on: July 26, 2017, 11:28:37 AM »

Wouldn't the most american states be the original thirteen colonies?
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #835 on: July 26, 2017, 11:35:04 AM »

Here we go again. As someone mentioned earlier, let's flip that argument around to see its problems. Take away Texas and no GOP nominee is president since the 80s....and only GWB squeaks a popular vote win in 04. Therefore, San Francisco and New York are real America, because GOP margins only come from Texas. The country is behind the liberal agenda except for Texas! Of course this would be a bad argument....
kyc0705

« Reply #836 on: July 26, 2017, 11:36:45 AM »

And if you remove every Trump and Clinton vote, Gary Johnson won the election in a landslide. Therefore, Gary Johnson is the real president.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #837 on: July 26, 2017, 12:17:23 PM »

Gallup (July 25th)

Approve 37% (+1)
Disapprove 58% (-1)
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #838 on: July 26, 2017, 12:27:57 PM »

Every American is a "real" American, just as every part of America is "real" America. Enough of these dumbass Republicans trying to pretend they're somehow more American than others. I know it's hard for them to accept that not everyone is White, straight, cisgender, and Christian like in their idealized suburbs and small towns, but facts are facts. They may not like urban and coastal America, but we don't like them either. But we do have to tolerate each other. And funny thing is, you never hear us claiming they're not "real" America. They're the ones who're culturally and demographically out of touch with present-day America.
The whole "real" vs "fake" America debate is a way of stoking cultural resentment, and it isn't just one party that does it. West Virginia is just as American as California and vice versa. Liberals calling people in rural America dumb and uneducated and conservatives calling cities crime-infested places of despair is directed at their respective bases, while alienating potential persuadable voters. Goes to show why rural America is increasingly Republican while urban America is increasingly Democratic.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #839 on: July 26, 2017, 01:12:38 PM »

The whole "real" vs "fake" America debate is a way of stoking cultural resentment, and it isn't just one party that does it. West Virginia is just as American as California and vice versa. Liberals calling people in rural America dumb and uneducated and conservatives calling cities crime-infested places of despair is directed at their respective bases, while alienating potential persuadable voters. Goes to show why rural America is increasingly Republican while urban America is increasingly Democratic.

Personally I love the notion that Bin Laden and crew were smacking themselves on the head every time a plane hit New York or DC, but breathed a sigh of relief when Flight 93 went down that at least one plane hit real America.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #840 on: July 26, 2017, 02:24:31 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2017, 02:27:47 PM by American2020 »

Trump's approval is underwater in 11 states he won in November

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/26/politics/trump-approval-underwater-11-states/index.html

Trump has always had high marks on the economy. Now that’s slipping

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/07/26/in-major-shift-americans-now-disapprove-of-trump-on-the-economy/?utm_term=.b719221353e9
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #841 on: July 26, 2017, 07:50:56 PM »

More than L.A. or NYC.

9/11 mother f*****

You have an extremely narrow version of cultural representation.. America's greatest strength is its diversity.

By the way, your inability to do math is as strong as your xenophobia. Hillary won New York City by about a million and a half votes which only Cuts Trump's national deficit by half. I couldn't find the figures for the city of Los Angeles, but considering it's substantially smaller and no more Democrat friendly then New York, it's inconceivable that trumps still doesn't lose the National popular vote by at least close to a million votes.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #842 on: July 26, 2017, 07:52:50 PM »

Naso is Ted Cruz comfirmed.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #843 on: July 26, 2017, 08:50:57 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2017, 09:05:35 PM by pbrower2a »

Also from that poll, 49% of Trump supporters believe he won the popular vote.  40% believe Clinton won it.

And Trump voters wonder why everyone thinks they're ignorant

The states elect the President; the People don't. That is an expression of federalism in 1787. Would America do that again if given a chance? After Donald Trump...

It's up to the people to recognize that a demagogue like Donald Trump can never achieve his contradictory promises, and even more the danger of voting for someone who showed a lack of a moral compass. We have put our precious democracy at risk.

We shall find out in 2020 unless the Democrats nominate someone similarly awful, in which case all bets are off.  

We also need remember that the policies of Donald Trump will hurt people just as much in a poor state like New Mexico that voted against him as in West Virginia, a poor state that voted for him.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #844 on: July 27, 2017, 09:00:22 AM »

PPIC - California:

Approve 25%
Disapprove 71%

Only 68% of California Republicans and 33% of Independents approve of Trump.

Source
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #845 on: July 27, 2017, 09:06:43 AM »

NYC is obviously the most real part of Real America, because Donald Trump was born and raised there. And who's more American than Trump?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #846 on: July 27, 2017, 09:07:08 AM »

This thread is like the go-to place for upset liberals.

"Another conservative judge put on a Federal court...let me go see if Trump's dropped -1 in gallup..."

Cheesy
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #847 on: July 27, 2017, 09:15:41 AM »

I couldn't find the figures for the city of Los Angeles, but considering it's substantially smaller and no more Democrat friendly then New York, it's inconceivable that trumps still doesn't lose the National popular vote by at least close to a million votes.

Some quick napkin calculations suggest that Clinton's PV margin in Los Angeles proper is somewhere between 700-800k votes.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #848 on: July 27, 2017, 09:38:03 AM »

"Another conservative judge put on a Federal court...let me go see if Trump's dropped -1 in gallup..."

Cheesy

That is...an incredibly low standard for success.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #849 on: July 27, 2017, 09:41:25 AM »

Cheesy

Gallup tracking polls are day-to-day events. They are full of statistical noise.

Sure, California is one of the most partisan states in America -- but did you ever see polls this bad for what you probably think the Antichrist of American politics (Barack Obama) get polls this low in Oklahoma or Wyoming?

Yes, even I can come up with a reason for President Trump doing unusually badly in California, which is that a larger share of Californians are renters than is the norm in America. If you are an owner-occupant of a house or condo, then Donald Trump does not remind you of the person as does a tenant who faces a rapacious landlord who disposes of a huge chunk of your income. Conservative politics thrived in the 1950s  (yes, in California  too) with so many suburban home-owners. But that is over. Long over.

Is the California result a freak? Maybe. I'm willing to see other polls come in to corroborate or refute the idea that President is about as popular as Jimmy Carter on the brink of electoral defeat.    
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies