Trump approval ratings thread 1.1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:40:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump approval ratings thread 1.1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 78
Author Topic: Trump approval ratings thread 1.1  (Read 201845 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: August 13, 2017, 10:36:21 PM »

I feel most Republicans will be standing by him. A lot of confressmen are condemning him because they're afraid of angering the Democrats. Most Republicans feel that the media whitewashing Antifa is worse than Trump not "specifically" calling out white supremacists. A lot of Democrats say that their side of the story is legitimized by what they stand for and the fact that the only death in the rally was one of them.

It's not those types (which are gonna hold out to the bitter end), it's the Indies, Moderates, Not-so-Ideological types that are critical to keep hold of.

They are the ones who ensured Trump would have barely over 50% after he just won (and the ones who held their nose just because he was new and Hillary wasn't), they are the ones who have ensured he'd be at 44% by inauguration, and they are the ones who got his numbers down to where they are now.

Congresscritters aren't condemning him for the sake of appeasing Democrats, they're doing it to appear reasonable to those not so entrenched.

Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1151 on: August 13, 2017, 10:44:30 PM »

After Trump's response to Charlottesville, I predict that he'll go below 35% in Gallup sometime in the coming week.

I dunno...depends on what portion of that 35% supports the Neo-nazis.

There aren't more than about 10K members of Klan groups and 10K members of neo-Nazi groups, with some significant overlaps.

I don't know if there would be a lot of crossover between the KKK and Neo Nazi groups. The South has the most KKK members and the South is the most hawkish nationalistic part of the country.  I would bet a lot of KKK members have a grandfather who fought in WW2 against the Nazis. That chest thumping militarism would not be very supportive of one of America's enemies.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1152 on: August 14, 2017, 02:14:09 AM »

I feel most Republicans will be standing by him. A lot of confressmen are condemning him because they're afraid of angering the Democrats. Most Republicans feel that the media whitewashing Antifa is worse than Trump not "specifically" calling out white supremacists. A lot of Democrats say that their side of the story is legitimized by what they stand for and the fact that the only death in the rally was one of them.

It's not those types (which are gonna hold out to the bitter end), it's the Indies, Moderates, Not-so-Ideological types that are critical to keep hold of.

They are the ones who ensured Trump would have barely over 50% after he just won (and the ones who held their nose just because he was new and Hillary wasn't), they are the ones who have ensured he'd be at 44% by inauguration, and they are the ones who got his numbers down to where they are now.

Congresscritters aren't condemning him for the sake of appeasing Democrats, they're doing it to appear reasonable to those not so entrenched.

I don't think we'll find out until the polls come out which side the moderates take.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1153 on: August 14, 2017, 02:33:22 AM »
« Edited: August 14, 2017, 11:16:16 AM by pbrower2a »

After Trump's response to Charlottesville, I predict that he'll go below 35% in Gallup sometime in the coming week.

I dunno...depends on what portion of that 35% supports the Neo-nazis.

As late as the 1990s, when there were WWII vets in the Klan in large numbers, Nazi allusions were unwelcome in the Klan. Although Nazis and Klansmen are fascists with similar objects of hatred (including blacks and Jews), WWII vets in the Klan had no place for Nazism.

That is over. There aren't enough WWII vets to keep Klan groups from adopting Nazi  ideological traits, including the use of the word "Aryan".  

There aren't more than about 10K members of Klan groups and 10K members of neo-Nazi groups, with some significant overlaps.

I don't know if there would be a lot of crossover between the KKK and Neo Nazi groups. The South has the most KKK members and the South is the most hawkish nationalistic part of the country.  I would bet a lot of KKK members have a grandfather who fought in WW2 against the Nazis. That chest thumping militarism would not be very supportive of one of America's enemies.

The Klan is no longer so firmly Southern. For people who believe its racist agenda, Nazism may have been objectionable more as something exotic (German!) or anti-American. But this said, Nazism is no longer German (Nazi ideology, slogans, and symbols are illegal in Germany. Military museums that show a WWII aircraft mute the swastika, and model aircraft for sale in Germany do not have swastika decals.  But I have seen Confederate flags well to the north of the Mason-Dixon Line (and not associated with re-enacting the Civil War)... and I have seen people try to equate Abraham Lincoln with Karl Marx and Vladimir Lenin. 

People with so cranky an ideology as Ku Kluxism no longer care that their late grandfather fought Hitler. Nazi racism is close to Klan racism, even down to Holocaust denial. Does anyone want to find out whether "Jewish Lives Matter" in a Klan-dominated America? There are just too many blacks to process through gas chambers; after all, the Klan would be content with the restoration of race-based slavery. If one has nothing more to be proud of than being white, then the Klan or neo-Nazism just might be of interest. Proud to be white? I would have had no qualms about marrying and having children by a Filipina or Vietnamese wife and having children who can do partial differential equations. Proud of "white culture"? Someone who knows Michelangelo, J S Bach, and Dostoevsky well enough has far more to be proud of than "whiteness".

The Klan and neo-Nazis would probably murder me for my ridicule of them.

BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1154 on: August 14, 2017, 09:12:03 AM »

And there goes Rasmussen:
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/trump_approval_index_history
Rasmussen Daily Tracking
Approve - 43%(-2)
Disapprove - 55%(+2)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1155 on: August 14, 2017, 11:19:51 AM »

Social unrest is not good for approval of a political leader. We shall see how this goes in statewide polling, paucity of which as we have.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1156 on: August 14, 2017, 12:08:50 PM »

Admittedly, it was an easy prediction.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1157 on: August 14, 2017, 12:09:27 PM »

Not surprised.

The response to Charlottesville was atrocious. Moral leadership is the one thing everyone regardless of their political beliefs expect from the President of the United States. And Trump failed to do that spectacularly.
PoliticalShelter
« Reply #1158 on: August 14, 2017, 12:09:40 PM »

Is this the first time Trump's disapproval rating has hit above 60% during his presidency?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1159 on: August 14, 2017, 12:11:54 PM »

Is this the first time Trump's disapproval rating has hit above 60% during his presidency?

It's the highest for Gallup, yes.  He's been over 60 in some other polls, I believe.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1160 on: August 14, 2017, 12:12:36 PM »

Sweet sassy molassy!
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1161 on: August 14, 2017, 12:18:54 PM »

Him being at 61% is no surprise.  60% was his disapproval rating BEFORE the election.  I think the first year "give him a chance and let's see what he does" honeymoon is over.  People have seen quite enough to form a permanent opinion of him.
kyc0705

« Reply #1162 on: August 14, 2017, 12:19:30 PM »

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1163 on: August 14, 2017, 12:20:40 PM »

At this point, even I disapprove.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1164 on: August 14, 2017, 12:28:51 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1165 on: August 14, 2017, 12:29:05 PM »

Daniel909012
Rookie
« Reply #1166 on: August 14, 2017, 01:01:02 PM »

In two days it will be the same nothing strange
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1167 on: August 14, 2017, 01:09:33 PM »

In two days it will be the same nothing strange

Thats not the point. Trump's approvals stay steady, drop, slightly recover then stay steady again. He was averaging low 40s in Gallup a couple of months ago, now he's averaging mid to high 30s.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1168 on: August 14, 2017, 01:36:11 PM »

Donald Trump is the greatest ever at getting past 60%. It's unbelievable.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1169 on: August 14, 2017, 01:39:30 PM »

When you've lost Santander, you've lost real America.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1170 on: August 14, 2017, 01:43:12 PM »

I've been this way for a month or two now.

#SomeOtherRepublican2020
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1171 on: August 14, 2017, 02:03:30 PM »

May I ask why?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1172 on: August 14, 2017, 02:04:59 PM »

There are too many reasons, imo. I think it's easier to ask him when xD
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1173 on: August 14, 2017, 02:22:50 PM »

Appropriate deployment of Nuclear Elmo right hete
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1174 on: August 14, 2017, 02:32:57 PM »

Ultimately, it is for the same reason I turned on Obama after Orlando - the sheer insensitivity of his response was enough to push me over the edge and accept the tides that had been turning in my head for a while now. I still believe he has been treated unfairly by the media, and I am willing to be supportive of him where I agree, but I don't feel any need to actively defend someone who obviously doesn't care about me, or anyone but himself, for that matter.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies