Trump approval ratings thread 1.1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:24:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump approval ratings thread 1.1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 78
Author Topic: Trump approval ratings thread 1.1  (Read 201892 times)
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1675 on: September 12, 2017, 02:55:49 PM »

I wonder what will happen in the next few weeks when tax reform will be in the headlines. Trump is going to 13 states to push for it.

Theoretically, it could raise his approval among republicans.

tax reform needs 60 votes

Trump is terrible at making deals...he aint getting 60 votes

Don't be so sure. There have always been a few democrats willing to vote for tax reform under a GOP prez. We saw it happen under reagan and bush II.

Totally different era. Trump's not going to see any Democrats (certainly not Cool break with the party to support him on a big ideological litmus test issue like this.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #1676 on: September 12, 2017, 03:25:45 PM »

I wonder what will happen in the next few weeks when tax reform will be in the headlines. Trump is going to 13 states to push for it.

Don't be so sure. There have always been a few democrats willing to vote for tax reform under a GOP prez. We saw it happen under reagan and bush II.

Totally different era. Trump's not going to see any Democrats ( certainly not 8 ) break with the party to support him on a big ideological litmus test issue like this.

Ah, the accidental emoji. FTFY
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1677 on: September 12, 2017, 03:26:47 PM »

Tax reform needs 51 votes, as it's used through budget reconciliation.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1678 on: September 12, 2017, 05:20:12 PM »

Tax reform will cause suburb gop to trend d

Can't wait to have MI, PA, WI, and IA back in the Democratic column!
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1679 on: September 12, 2017, 08:48:26 PM »

We have three of the dreariest years in American history in which to wait.
Daniel909012
Rookie
« Reply #1680 on: September 12, 2017, 10:19:50 PM »

For you they will be bad but for true Americans they will not be. 8 years of a weak corrupt and parasitic government, now it's your turn to cry like us.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1681 on: September 12, 2017, 10:34:37 PM »

For you they will be bad but for true Americans they will not be. 8 years of a weak corrupt and parasitic government, now it's your turn to cry like us.

Yes, we lived through 8 years of a a weak corrupt and parasitic government. It ended in 2009.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1682 on: September 13, 2017, 12:04:45 AM »
« Edited: September 13, 2017, 12:55:01 PM by Vice President PiT »

I've seen you use that particular quote a lot. You should make it your signature! Cheesy
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1683 on: September 13, 2017, 12:12:55 AM »

Only vulnerable Dems will vote vote for tax reform...Heitekamp, O Donnely, Manchin, McCaskill....maybe Nelson? That's still only 57 votes at most

I don't think Nelson does it regardless.

They're going to try reconciliation again, most likely, although THAT raises the old can of worms of "has to reduce the deficit," which is...very tricky...for a bill that's going to explicitly cut revenue.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1684 on: September 13, 2017, 12:15:38 AM »
« Edited: September 13, 2017, 12:55:15 PM by Vice President PiT »

The rats are fleeing the sinking ship and voting out Republicans in New Hampshire and Oklahoma. Smiley
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1685 on: September 13, 2017, 07:31:29 AM »

What do you mean by a true American? Someone who believes in a certain ideology?

I may never have liked the Tea Party crowd, but I never denied that they are American. I may hate the Klan, but it is American in the sense that tornadoes and rattlesnakes can be American. I may have disdain for American druggies, but they are Americans.

But who is a real American anyway?

Descendants of the settlers at Jamestown and Plymouth? Generally so. Of the Dutch and others who by accident created the first multi-cultural colony in New Amsterdam, now New York City? Yes.

Descendants of the people who met them in Jamestown, Plymouth, and Manhattan or people like them on the reservations? Yes.

Descendants of the slaves to do the hard, dirty work to make possible the grand way of life, stripped of any cultural connections to Africa and compelled to act like English peasants? What could be more American than to have created a distinctive, 100% American culture out of the scraps that they were allowed and their own creativity?

Descendants of the Spanish settlers and maybe Native people who found that the boundary between America and Mexico shifted from the Sabine River to the Rio Grande River in 1845 or from the 42nd parallel of latitude to somewhere between San Diego and Tijuana in 1848 or from  the Gila River to sites between two towns named Nogales? Yes. 

Descendants of those who had to leave Ireland because the potato crop failed, Germany because they were tied to the  losing side of a revolution that would have made Germany more like America in politics in 1848 had it succeeded, of Jews fleeing the poverty and oppression of the Tsar, or of people who saw America as a better place economically  than the hunger and hardship that they knew, as in Scandinavia and Italy? Yes.

Descendants of people fleeing Bolshevism in Russia, Nazism in Germany, Mao in China, or the Vietminh in Vietnam? Of course! What could be more American than seeking refuge from tyranny?

I could write for hours. Skin color, ideology, and ancestry do not define Americanism. Loyalty to a set of principles of morality in government, and acceptance of others who accept those same principles make one an American. Disloyalty to those principles and disdain for people who might be different makes one's Americanism suspect.   

The fault with Donald Trump is that despite his slogan "Make America Great Again" he debases America.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1686 on: September 13, 2017, 07:35:08 AM »
« Edited: September 13, 2017, 12:55:31 PM by Vice President PiT »

When  the best that the 'winner' Party of 2014 and 2016 is to offer a President who has at the minimum 57% disapproval, it looks as if Americans will soon be ready for a different crew and helmsman. 
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1687 on: September 13, 2017, 10:22:29 AM »

Rasmussen is a trash pollster but it his worth noting he has been tanking recently.

Approve: 42% (-2)
Disapprove: 56% (+2)

Strongly Approve: 26% (-)
Strongly Disapprove: 45% (+2)
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1688 on: September 13, 2017, 10:51:21 AM »

Rasmussen is a trash pollster but it his worth noting he has been tanking recently.

Approve: 42% (-2)
Disapprove: 56% (+2)

Strongly Approve: 26% (-)
Strongly Disapprove: 45% (+2)

Tanking is a strong word. He was up to 45% a couple of days ago. I'd say it's just flucuation more than anything else.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1689 on: September 13, 2017, 10:58:10 AM »
« Edited: September 13, 2017, 11:38:05 AM by Santander »

You can't simultaneously call a pollster "trash" and then say their poll is "worth noting" in the same sentence.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1690 on: September 13, 2017, 11:01:33 AM »

You can't simultaneously call a pollster "trash" and then say their poll is "worth nothing" in the same sentence.

Sure you can! They mean the same thing! Cheesy

...sorry, I know that was a typo but I could not resist.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1691 on: September 13, 2017, 11:38:11 AM »

You can't simultaneously call a pollster "trash" and then say their poll is "worth nothing" in the same sentence.

Good catch. Wink
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1692 on: September 13, 2017, 12:08:36 PM »

Good catch. Wink

Santander, with all the recent color changes in your avatar, you should change your handle to Chameleon. Smiley
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1693 on: September 13, 2017, 12:16:39 PM »

Gallup, 9/12:

Approve 37 (nc)
Disapprove 57 (-1)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1694 on: September 13, 2017, 12:51:47 PM »

Gallup, 9/12:

Approve 37 (nc)
Disapprove 57 (-1)

What seems apparent is that lack of trump in the news due to hurricane coverage is lowering his disapproval rating, but not raising his approval.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1695 on: September 13, 2017, 01:17:36 PM »

I haven't cried over Trump's presidency and I don't know too many people who have. Good to know you sat around crying like a little girl for eight years when Obama was president, though.

Also, note how the benefit of Trump's presidency that he points out is that "now it's your turn to cry like us". Nothing about policy, just emotions. Who are the snowflakes again?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1696 on: September 13, 2017, 02:25:04 PM »

I haven't cried over Trump's presidency and I don't know too many people who have. Good to know you sat around crying like a little girl for eight years when Obama was president, though.

Also, note how the benefit of Trump's presidency that he points out is that "now it's your turn to cry like us". Nothing about policy, just emotions. Who are the snowflakes again?

Well that's what happens when most conservative politics has devolved to "making liberals cry", cutting taxes for the rich and hating minorities/women.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1697 on: September 13, 2017, 04:08:36 PM »

What do you mean by a true American? Someone who believes in a certain ideology?

He means white peope in red hats. -.-

He might as well have said True Aryans. But that would demonstrate too much honesty and knowledge of history from any Trump cultist.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1698 on: September 13, 2017, 04:51:12 PM »

I know Daniel is a troll but I have to say saying that it's "our turn to cry" isn't even a cynical view of governing, it's an evil one. This attitude doesn't even pretend that Trump is supposed to be governing on behalf of all Americans.

When we Democrats get our President and our Party in the majority in both Houses of Congress, then the one thing that I don't want Republicans to do is to cry about it. I want a better America -- one obviously so much better that many Republicans recognize has its virtues, and not simply what Trump has done that has yet to be undone. Nothing about the current President gives me confidence in his mastery of foreign policy or in economic stewardship.

I doubt that we Democrats had much gloating to do in 2008 as we saw Ohio go to Obama. We could do the math at that point, recognizing that the 70+ electoral votes on the West Coast would seal the election no matter what happened elsewhere. We had no need to rub our victory in, as we all had bigger concerns like avoiding the completion an economic meltdown as bad as that of 1929-1932  and getting out of messy situations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I can tell Republicans with full confidence that the next effective conservative President will be much more like Obama than like either Dubya or Trump. Give Obama a conservative agenda and you have Reagan without the shady stuff, as the skill set is much the same except that Obama is an attorney. The respect for protocol, process, and precedent and the freedom from demagoguery is vintage Eisenhower.

Conservatives, take note: Obama was a better President than you give him credit for. 
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1699 on: September 13, 2017, 10:09:31 PM »

Gallup, 9/12:

Approve 37 (nc)
Disapprove 57 (-1)

What seems apparent is that lack of trump in the news due to hurricane coverage is lowering his disapproval rating, but not raising his approval.

It also makes it apparent that Trump's ceiling is so low. Even after Harvey he couldn't crack 40%.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies