Texas legislature votes to ban straight ticket voting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:51:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Texas legislature votes to ban straight ticket voting
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Texas legislature votes to ban straight ticket voting  (Read 1625 times)
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 18, 2017, 01:47:17 PM »

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/05/17/texas-senate-tentatively-approves-straight-ticket-voting-ban/ Both houses of the Texas legislature have now passed a ban on Straight ticket voting on any race in Texas (we've had straight ticket voting for a while now), heading for the Governor's desk now. Interested to see how this might impact races in Texas.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 03:21:57 PM »

Might help break the Democrat's statewide dry spell if they can get a strong candidate running.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 04:22:36 PM »

I'm sure they're not doing this for any good reasons, though I tend to not care for auto straight ticket voting personally
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 05:28:06 PM »

This is bizarrely a form of voter suppression that could backfire on Republicans
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 05:41:24 PM »

I'm sure they're not doing this for any good reasons, though I tend to not care for auto straight ticket voting personally
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 05:42:39 PM »

They're doing it because they know that a greater share of Latinos than voters as a whole won't bother to vote all the way down the ballot. Look at heavily-Latino precincts in states where straight-ticket voting doesn't exist and compare the number of votes in the first contest to any subsequent ones.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 07:17:35 PM »

Good. Straight-Ticket encourages laziness and partisanship.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 07:21:46 PM »

Seems odd for the ruling party to do this in a safe state, doesn't it?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 09:47:34 PM »

I feel conflicted. On the one hand, this limits voting, but on the other hand, it probably encourages better voter research.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 09:52:17 PM »

They're doing it because they know that a greater share of Latinos than voters as a whole won't bother to vote all the way down the ballot. Look at heavily-Latino precincts in states where straight-ticket voting doesn't exist and compare the number of votes in the first contest to any subsequent ones.

Youre giving state legislators way too much credit.  They're not that cunning.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 11:20:18 PM »

This would probably have the biggest impact for district judge races - Texas ballots are ridiculous about these and there are literally dozens of judgeships you have to vote for. I honestly either leave that section blank or just pick names at random. I don't agree with the practice of electing judges to begin with.

So maybe the Republicans could win some "marginal" lower level judgeships, but I'm not sure what they'd gain from that. These aren't appellate court seats. There's really no "Republican" way to be a judge who rules on mundane civil cases. It's not as if these people are ruling on abortion or guns or something.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 11:25:41 PM »

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/05/17/texas-senate-tentatively-approves-straight-ticket-voting-ban/ Both houses of the Texas legislature have now passed a ban on Straight ticket voting on any race in Texas (we've had straight ticket voting for a while now), heading for the Governor's desk now. Interested to see how this might impact races in Texas.

Good! i always hated such type of voting. I select candidates one-by-one, not thoughtlessly pulling one lever.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 09:11:39 AM »

Seems odd for the ruling party to do this in a safe state, doesn't it?

Statewide, more Republicans have used straight ticket voting than Democrats. But that is not true in specific counties.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 04:33:41 PM »

I feel conflicted. On the one hand, this limits voting, but on the other hand, it probably encourages better voter research.

It doesn't "limit voting". No one is denied the right to vote because of the loss of straight-ticket. Sure the lines move slower, but that's a call to have more precincts, not to encourage partisanship.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 04:49:00 PM »

It doesn't "limit voting". No one is denied the right to vote because of the loss of straight-ticket. Sure the lines move slower, but that's a call to have more precincts, not to encourage partisanship.

The line moving slower, particularly in precincts where resources are already needlessly scarce, can dissuade others from voting. Further, what about people who just don't want to go through a huge ballot and vote on everything individually? That does happen. In fact, correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Texas typically have a long ballot?

Under existing conditions, I think it would be false to say this doesn't limit voter access. Not everyone has the time or patience to wait, and it's not ok just because Republicans want to squeeze a few more votes for themselves.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 05:11:28 PM »

This seems hinging on unconstitutionalism. Straight ticket voting is stupid, but I find it ironic that it's Republicans who openly pass a bill basically codifying the "thought police". Should people just vote for a token Democrat or Republican?

I hope that Abbott does the sane thing and vetoes this monstrosity.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 07:51:42 PM »

This seems hinging on unconstitutionalism. Straight ticket voting is stupid, but I find it ironic that it's Republicans who openly pass a bill basically codifying the "thought police". Should people just vote for a token Democrat or Republican?

I hope that Abbott does the sane thing and vetoes this monstrosity.

I think this refers to a ballot option that allows you to vote "All Rep" or "All Dem" rather than forcing you to vote for someone of a different party.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 07:23:56 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2017, 07:38:59 PM by Bagel23 »

No it does not. All it will do is make people check dozens of individuals boxes instead of a straight ticket box. All you gotta do is start from the top of the ballot, and work your way down, and selected every name with a (D) next to it.

Also ACLU, NAACP, or someone else will probably take this to court and get it smashed just like Michigan.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 07:49:18 PM »

Do Texas Republicans already see the writing on the wall?
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 06:16:11 PM »

I think this is targeting democrats who are too lazy to vote for lower level races even if it just means scrolling though some boxes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies