Trump set to propose paid family leave in budget proposal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:56:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump set to propose paid family leave in budget proposal
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump set to propose paid family leave in budget proposal  (Read 1202 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2017, 09:09:10 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/wonk/wp/2017/05/18/u-s-could-get-first-paid-family-leave-benefit-under-trump-plan/
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 09:23:45 PM »

although I support this...I doubt the GOP will even let this out of the committee
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 09:28:11 PM »

Hard not to see Ivanka's fingerprints on this. She and Kushner are doing good there. That's why I don't want to see Kushner go down. At least not unless Trump does too.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 10:29:18 PM »

although I support this...I doubt the GOP will even let this out of the committee
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 10:32:51 PM »

Hard not to see Ivanka's fingerprints on this. She and Kushner are doing good there. That's why I don't want to see Kushner go down. At least not unless Trump does too.

Kushner's a corrupt traitor.  Also this ridiculous idea that Ivanka and Kushner aren't just as bad as Trump needs to go away.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 11:22:34 PM »

6 Weeks is nothing for a mother, 12 weeks is kind of a minimum with a huge chunk of countries having 26 weeks & some even 52 weeks! But 12 weeks (3 months odd) should be the minimum benchmark to start with.

But anyways you take what you can get & something is better than nothing. Dems should in 2021 increase it to 12 Weeks ! I doubt there will be any support from the GOP but he should get support from the Dems so if he can come with a compromise budget (no Wall, PP funding, ACA subsidies, not major cuts to domestic agencies), the Dems will make up 80-90% of the votes for the budget, rest GOP people  - I thinK Collins, Murkowski would definitely support!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 11:30:25 PM »

Presidents propose, Congress disposes.  This ain't going nowhere, and wouldn't even if Trump wasn't such a wounded duck.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 12:03:09 AM »

6 Weeks is nothing for a mother, 12 weeks is kind of a minimum with a huge chunk of countries having 26 weeks & some even 52 weeks! But 12 weeks (3 months odd) should be the minimum benchmark to start with.

But anyways you take what you can get & something is better than nothing. Dems should in 2021 increase it to 12 Weeks ! I doubt there will be any support from the GOP but he should get support from the Dems so if he can come with a compromise budget (no Wall, PP funding, ACA subsidies, not major cuts to domestic agencies), the Dems will make up 80-90% of the votes for the budget, rest GOP people  - I thinK Collins, Murkowski would definitely support!

Well, there's a zero percent chance that a Democratic President would be able to accomplish this, so...be thankful that it's even happening.

You are pretty clueless when it comes to most stuff so it's probably a good statement - Agree to disagree !
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 12:08:10 AM »

You are pretty clueless when it comes to most stuff so it's probably a good statement - Agree to disagree !

PNM is far from clueless, Shadows.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 12:11:50 AM »

Apology dear PNM, just useless banter !

I am pretty sure he is not apt in understanding the direction 4 years from now, so it was more to that !
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 12:22:23 AM »

I am pretty sure he is not apt in understanding the direction 4 years from now, so it was more to that !

Thank you, Virginia.

Shadows, please explain to me how a Democratic President would be able to get through FPL? Even in a unified government? There's zero chance Republicans wouldn't try and kill it by filibuster. A Republican President is by far the best chance such a proposal has of passing, at least in the short- and medium-run, as they'll conceivably be able to get otherwise-no Republican votes and most Democrats on board.

Not that I expect this to pass, though. Knowing Trump, he'll probably attach it to a bill to gut something else, making it dead on arrival anyway.

Well hold on - in 2021, it could have a Democratic Senate & House with a Dem president & the GOP will be obstructing everything - Any healthcare bill, Paid leave, infra spending, etc. I don't think the Dems have any choice but to gut the filibuster with this much of a massive ideological divide because they will get 0 done, lose part of their base to low turnout & 3rd parties & would again cause the rise of a Trump type candidate.

You have to get stuff done. I also don't rule out Republicans achieving nothing & gutting this filibuster through Ted Cruz's "so-called" genius plan that the VP can rule any bill is a reconciliation !

It is impossible to predict what happens in 2021 & onwards, but the Democrats will be under tremendous pressure to deliver !
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 12:23:16 AM »

Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 12:39:30 AM »

I think the filibuster is here to stay, but I guess we'll see.

Let us say a Democrat campaigns on affordable college, universal healthcare, infra spending, paid leave, stronger climate change policies, lifting the Social Security cap etc & gets elected. The Republicans won't support any of these policies & filibuster everything - What happens then? Does that President stay back & achieve nothing & be a failure.

Obama campaigned on a mixture of change, hope, his candidacy & some policies. But Bernie's campaign was largely based on concrete policies which has seeped into his base - Many of them see that as the definition of progressive. With more time, as more young people come in, the Democratic party takes a sharp left turn, No. of of Independents & 3rd party voters rise! People die, but ideas don't.

People are more politically involved with details about concrete issues than ever! Even part of Trump's base will turn on him if he can't deliver on Wall & Immigration !
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 01:51:34 AM »

The only way paid family leave gets through Congress is it's a heavily neutered, easily loophole-able provision (probably with very little if any paternity leave protections) that would prevent REAL paid family leave from being passed sometime in the future.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 02:11:57 PM »

Presidents propose, Congress disposes.  This ain't going nowhere, and wouldn't even if Trump wasn't such a wounded duck.

Eh, this is something that Democrats could get their caucus to unanimously support if they wanted to.  So all you need are 30ish moderate R's in the House to vote to add into the next deal to keep the govt funded.  As far as the senate goes, Heller and Collins would be crazy to oppose this and Dems would be crazy to filibuster (if the filibuster applied to the rules for whatever it was attached to).  That means they just need one of Gardner, Tillis, or even Flake or Perdue to get nervous about backlash from suburban women in 2018/2020.  Even though she is electorally safer than them, Murkowski is probably the 3rd best target for this.

I think this is modest enough to pass if attached to a budget deal and if Ryan and McConnell let it come to the floor.  Something like 1 yr primary caregiver, 3 months other parent would be DOA though.  Which raises an interesting point: Why didn't Dems do this in 2009?  They could probably have gotten 12 weeks back then if they wanted to try.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 02:14:26 PM »

Thank you, Virginia.

Shadows, please explain to me how a Democratic President would be able to get through FPL? Even in a unified government? There's zero chance Republicans wouldn't try and kill it by filibuster. A Republican President is by far the best chance such a proposal has of passing, at least in the short- and medium-run, as they'll conceivably be able to get otherwise-no Republican votes and most Democrats on board.

Not that I expect this to pass, though. Knowing Trump, he'll probably attach it to a bill to gut something else, making it dead on arrival anyway.

A Dem trifecta with at least 55 senators would get this done easily.  They might even be able to get 12 weeks primary caregiver leave.  The advantage of having Trump propose it is that it's easier to get some buy in from a substantial number of R's who are more concerned about social issues than economics. 
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 02:19:36 PM »

To be honest I think the Dems will kill the filibuster the next time they have a trifecta with 55+ senate seats (and that might happen in 2020/2024). I think the GOP would have killed it if they had more senate seats and a competent and/or popular Republican president.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 02:20:19 PM »

Republicans won't dare go against Ivanka.
PoliticalShelter
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 02:28:37 PM »

To be honest I think the Dems will kill the filibuster the next time they have a trifecta with 55+ senate seats (and that might happen in 2020/2024). I think the GOP would have killed it if they had more senate seats and a competent and/or popular Republican president.

Actually I think in that scenario the GOP would still be hesitant to abolish the filibuster. The filibuster ultimately is to the benefit of the party of small government and a gop that had a larger senate majority and/or a more popular president, would definitely fancy their chances of having a stronger long term advantage in the senate.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 02:31:25 PM »

Actually I think in that scenario the GOP would still be hesitant to abolish the filibuster. The filibuster ultimately is to the benefit of the party of small government and a gop that had a larger senate majority and/or a more popular president, would definitely fancy their chances of having a stronger long term advantage in the senate.

I don't think the legislative filibuster will be abolished outright anytime soon, but I do think cloture will go from 60 to 55 the next time one party has 55 or more seats.  It should eventually go from 55 to 50+VP, but that will take at least 20 years IMO, maybe longer. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2017, 04:15:05 PM »

Republicans won't dare go against Ivanka.

hahahaha
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2017, 05:08:42 PM »

I mean so what. His budget proposal is still garbage. It'll just be 99% garbage instead of 100% garbage.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies