BREAKING: Trump tells advisers he wants to end key Obamacare subsidies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:20:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Trump tells advisers he wants to end key Obamacare subsidies
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: BREAKING: Trump tells advisers he wants to end key Obamacare subsidies  (Read 1981 times)
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2017, 10:32:56 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/19/donald-trump-end-payments-obamacare-subsidies-238616
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 10:37:34 PM »

Trump wins again!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 10:39:38 PM »

ahyuck well it looks like mah 500 lb momma bout to lose her health insurance but at least trump pissed off some libtards xD
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 10:44:42 PM »

Lib.

Cucks.

Triggered.

Right.

Now.

*Dies*
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 10:45:17 PM »

So he intends to force everyone to continue paying for healthcare but to do it extra high cost?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 10:47:25 PM »

If Trump singlehandedly implodes Obamacare (with the acquiescence of the Republican Congress), would this essentially clear the deck for single-payer the next time Democrats gain complete control?    
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 10:49:29 PM »

If Trump singlehandedly implodes Obamacare (with the acquiescence of the Republican Congress), would this essentially clear the field for single-payer the next time Democrats gain complete control?    

I think so. Democrats are not gonna let their healthcare bill fail a second time so they will go all in on healthcare reform to the point where even the GOP can't touch it or let it implode without losing big electorally.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 10:53:11 PM »

This is very stupid. He'll destroy his standing with his constituents.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 11:26:54 PM »

Not really, but at this point he has nothing left to lose.  As long as he's going down he might as well destroy the Republican Party at it.  The idea that this would force the Democrats to the negotiating table is ludicrous, especially now.  If he weren't already weakened by so many self-inflicted wounds, maybe he'd a get a few Senate Democrats, but even then not enough to avoid a filibuster.  The fallout from destroying Obamacare will fall squarely on the shoulders of Trump and most likely the rest of the Republicans.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 11:36:18 PM »

Trump's stupidity is astounding.

He doesn't seem to understand that he owns the ACA now, along with the rest of the GOP. You **** with it, then people are going to blame him and the party.

I am surprised McConnell hasn't had a talk with him yet, because this move might put his senate majority at risk.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 12:18:24 AM »

This is not going to achieve anything good for anyone (except Democrats in 2018, I guess, but I don't think anyone would want victory to come at that price).
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 12:29:07 AM »

If people go bankrupt & die, then Trump & Republicans will have to take blame, they hold all offices. Many of Trump's constituent get subsidies & are on Medicaid expansion. He will lose re-election in 2020 & lose the rust belt convincingly - Hope he realizes that!

ACA in itself is not going to last but he doesn't have to make ordinary people suffer to do that ! The Dems should not vote for any budget unless trump continues the ACA subsidies !
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 03:05:34 AM »

He'll cave as Congress passes them. He's sitting at a 38-57% approval rating.  He doesn't have the political muscle for it.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 03:49:53 AM »

The only good thing about this is, that - if enacted - would cause Democrats to pass single-payer the next time they're in power. Probably 2021.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 05:41:20 AM »

He'll cave as Congress passes them. He's sitting at a 38-57% approval rating.  He doesn't have the political muscle for it.
You are probably right about this specific issue 'end key Obamacare subsidies', but I guess his rhetoric is enough to scare the insurance companies and destabilize the market. And that is probably what he wants.

His/GOP's logic may by like this:
1) If the Obamacare markets is destabilized because of 'our' laws - blame on us.
2) If the Obamacare markets is destabilized because of 'our' rhetoric - blame on Obama/Democrats. Because we technically did do anything and Democrats did want to cooperate.

The voters would likely blame Trump in both cases, but I guess 2) would be much easier for GOP to handle.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 08:09:35 AM »

Does he even have the political capital necessary for such a battle? Schumer and Pelosi might be corporate Dems, but they aren't going cave on Obamacare (at least I hope not, but they are Democrats, so you know).
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 09:31:45 AM »

To the Deutschlandlied

Profit, profit over everything!
Damn the public! Give 'em the shaft!
We don't need excessive government
All we need is plenty of graft!
We don't want any social programs
our profits to annoy!
Send the liberals and their pinko friends
All on one-way journeys to Hanoi!

(Pyongyang would be more appropriate in this context, but I could not come up with a suitable rhyme).
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 09:59:40 AM »
« Edited: May 20, 2017, 10:02:00 AM by jphp »

If Trump singlehandedly implodes Obamacare (with the acquiescence of the Republican Congress), would this essentially clear the field for single-payer the next time Democrats gain complete control?    

I think so. Democrats are not gonna let their healthcare bill fail a second time so they will go all in on healthcare reform to the point where even the GOP can't touch it or let it implode without losing big electorally.

This. The ACA was done to be basically what the Republicans wanted. It's a touch more liberal than they would ultimately like, but it's a system that maintains insurance companies, etc. I found their mantra of "repeal!" for the past seven years quite ridiculous, because it was obvious they didn't have anything better in mind. So now they have what they wanted, and the parts that aren't working could be fixed with some time and effort.

So instead of taking this system that was basically what they wanted, gift-wrapped just for them, and working out the kinks in it, they're ripping it up and spitting on it just because they don't like the person who handed it to them. Which, in turn, means the Democrats will run with the "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" stance. If the ACA is decapitated without a replacement in place, the American people will be very upset, and the Democrats (especially the more progressive wing) will get enough political capital and votes to do what they want. And this time they won't compromise.

No complaints here, honestly. We need universal healthcare and cutting out the insurance companies gets rid of a heck of a lot of ridiculous overhead and wasted money going to CEOs. And it might actually help do something about the astounding amount of waste at hospitals, too, because people are already upset about how much hospital care costs.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 10:10:59 AM »

Does he even have the political capital necessary for such a battle? Schumer and Pelosi might be corporate Dems, but they aren't going cave on Obamacare (at least I hope not, but they are Democrats, so you know).

Why do people on here still think Pelosi is some sort of weak sister who caves all the time? I mean this is a woman who held her ground when it came to Social Security and so far has held a unified front when it comes to the ACA repeal.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 10:12:45 AM »

Will insurers even offer individual plans after this nonsense?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2017, 10:34:28 AM »

Why do people on here still think Pelosi is some sort of weak sister who caves all the time? I mean this is a woman who held her ground when it came to Social Security and so far has held a unified front when it comes to the ACA repeal.
I just think many on the left who also hate the Dem establishment make her the avatar for it
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2017, 10:36:38 AM »

Large amounts of Bernie supporters just found out about politics last year and have no idea of what happened before that.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 02:33:17 PM »

Will insurers even offer individual plans after this nonsense?

There's a theory going around that insurers will crank up Silver plan benefit multipliers to 94%, keep Gold at 80% and Bronze at 60%, which ironically will make the federal government pay out more in additional Obamacare premium subsidies than they were in the CSR subsidies, but who knows if insurers are slick/brave enough for that and if regulators will allow it.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 02:38:29 PM »

He's acting like a hostage-taker.

He won't get a single Senate Democrat on his side over this. Not one. If the GOP wants AHCA so desperately, they can pass it on their own and reap the consequences.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2017, 06:11:39 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/20/us/politics/trump-death-spiral-affordable-care-act.html
Trump, Shouting ‘Death Spiral,’ Has Nudged Affordable Care Act Downward
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies