Is the Tea Party dead?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:13:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is the Tea Party dead?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: skip
Yes

No

Somewhat

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Is the Tea Party dead?  (Read 3469 times)
Potus
Potus2036

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2017, 06:24:45 AM »

They've come to occupy a real position of power within the party. That's a fundamental change in the character of the movement.
JoshPA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2017, 08:21:20 PM »

I feel like the Tea Party isn't dead, but it's morphing into becoming the mainstream GOP, look how well Ted Cruz did in the primary last year and how poorly the establishment candidates did, but they seem to have diminished in stature and overall power now with the rise of Trump Populists.
wouldnt trump be apart of the tea party if not then what is he he not establishment but he not tea party at the same time?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2017, 08:23:02 AM »

Yes.  MIssion Accomplished.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2017, 10:10:22 PM »

I hope the tea party is dead or its influence has greatly diminished. The tea party turned many Republicans into obstructionists instead of compromisers. They were hell-bent on opposing the Obama agenda, even on issues where they could have found common ground. I'm a relatively moderate Republican and I believe the Tea Party greatly damaged the party. Don't get me started on the Freedom Caucus

I cannot stand the freedom caucus, but I am sympathetic to the at least the motivations that sparked the tea party. What killed the tea party was that it was hijacked by ideological extremists on a whole host of issues.

That being said what came to be called the tea party in early 2009 was already a present force in 2007. You had incumbents losing primaries over the immigration issue in early 2008 and whole base revolt over that in 2007, throw the bailouts into the mix and you have a populist rebellion gainst both party establishments and against both Wall Street and Washington DC. There was anger at the corruption and incompetence under the GOP and at that point, changing out unpopular scandal plagued candidates had actually proven its value. In 2006, Republicans lost several seats because of scandal plagued incumbents, but held on to the Alaska Governorship, solely because an outsider candidate defeated the corrupt incumbent in the primary.

The problem was many of the politicians who rode this wave were ideological libertarians on the economy and very far right on social issues. This led to the obstructionism in Congress.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies