Republicans Fearing for Their Safety as Constituents Get Angrier
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:26:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans Fearing for Their Safety as Constituents Get Angrier
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republicans Fearing for Their Safety as Constituents Get Angrier  (Read 925 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2017, 12:06:50 PM »

I don't remember if Democrats had it this bad in the run-up to the 2010 midterms:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Hill
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 12:12:06 PM »

Democrats feared for their safety from 2009-2011. Republicans are feeling the same thing.

The difference is is that some leftists are more violent. ANTIFA, anyone? Soros, anyone?
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 12:22:15 PM »

i don't see how an old banker is at all violent (or a "leftist", to be frank); but maybe he gets that way after a few beers, I dunno.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 12:32:05 PM »

Democrats feared for their safety from 2009-2011. Republicans are feeling the same thing.

The difference is is that some leftists are more violent. ANTIFA, anyone? Soros, anyone?

Both sides do it. That's why I'm a centrist.
seb_pard
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 12:52:16 PM »

Jared Lee, anybody? Dylan Roof, anybody?

Also lol at Soros
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 12:55:34 PM »

Also lol at Soros

Exactly. They are extremists. Soros is one of the culprits, you can't deny it.
seb_pard
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 12:57:36 PM »

Also lol at Soros

What is so extremist about Soros?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 12:59:54 PM »

I don't remember if Democrats had it this bad in the run-up to the 2010 midterms:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabrielle_Giffords
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 01:10:29 PM »

Also lol at Soros

He has destabilized some governments overseas with corruption, some reports suggest. He does good charities, but has some bad money deals.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 01:15:56 PM »

Also lol at Soros

He has destabilized some governments overseas with corruption, some reports suggest. He does good charities, but has some bad money deals.

Sounds like what America does in general

True. However, Soros has given money to some crazy causes.
hopper
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 01:16:04 PM »

Fearing for their safety-The Town Hall activities are just a bunch of rabble rousers with angst against Trump. They aren't gonna harm anybody physically.
hopper
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 01:17:50 PM »

That was an isolated where the guy that wasn't stable and the Giffords shooting had nothing to with anger or angst towards government.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 01:19:09 PM »

inb4 you-know-who rants about "muh violent leftists"

Anyway, getting threats is unfortunate, but it's part of being a public figure, and it doesn't necessarily mean that you need to fear for your safety (since most threats are empty.) You have to be able to put up with a certain amount of nonsense.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 01:26:27 PM »

This happened in 2009-2010 as well, from the Vanderboegh brickings to the random gun that fell on the floor of a Dem townhall. Some Tea Party blogger mistakenly posted the address of my old Dem congressman's brother (thinking it was the Congressman's) in 2010 and someone cut a gas line to their grill. According to this article, now my new Pub congressman is receiving death threats. Same old, same old.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 01:31:57 PM »

This happened in 2009-2010 as well, from the Vanderboegh brickings to the random gun that fell on the floor of a Dem townhall. Some Tea Party blogger mistakenly posted the address of my old Dem congressman's brother (thinking it was the Congressman's) in 2010 and someone cut a gas line to their grill. According to this article, now my new Pub congressman is receiving death threats. Same old, same old.
Yeah, while left-wing violence is on the rise, it's mainly from angry rich white students (ie, Atlas poster types) and not from the town hall crowd. Town halls have always been nasty. I remember one girl was almost attacked for daring to ask a negative question of Allen West in 2011. The Allen West town halls got so bad (I went to all of them when he was my Congressman) that my mom tried to ban me from going, but they were usually held a mile away from me so a few times I'd just take my bike. Fun times.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 01:42:17 PM »

Anyone who has worked in a congressional field office within the last several decades will tell you that they are a magnet for lunatics. Most of them will never cause serious harm, but threats are a part of the routine for many. It's not easy work, and in a heavily armed and relatively violent country it's a scary and disturbing ordeal.

Speaking from personal experience, this is at least equally true of the D.C. offices. 
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 01:56:44 PM »

Yeah, while left-wing violence is on the rise, it's mainly from angry rich white students (ie, Atlas poster types) and not from the town hall crowd. Town halls have always been nasty. I remember one girl was almost attacked for daring to ask a negative question of Allen West in 2011. The Allen West town halls got so bad (I went to all of them when he was my Congressman) that my mom tried to ban me from going, but they were usually held a mile away from me so a few times I'd just take my bike. Fun times.

Yeah. I haven't seen any Democrat open carry rallies yet. Those were fun back during Obama's first term.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 02:12:16 PM »

constituënts fearing for their safety as republicans get angriër
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2017, 02:57:49 PM »

Yeah. I haven't seen any Democrat open carry rallies yet. Those were fun back during Obama's first term.
Conservative activists have always liked to bring their guns out. It's a male insecurity thing I think. That predated Obama (I remember seeing guns at pro-war rallies in like 2006) and it will continue past him. The infamous assault rifle video at the Tea Party rally from 2010 was ironically held by a black conservative activist, but the media made it out to be an emulation of a lynch mob.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2017, 08:24:33 PM »

It's not at all surprising. The day after the election there were a ton of people talking about initiating some political violence. Most of them won't go through with it obviously, but there are a lot of very angry people out there, some of whom will. Now that the two sides of American politics are in a more or less open war, death threats and attacks will probably become more common.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2017, 08:42:46 PM »

Yet the right-wing media ignores the violence carried out by Republicans.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 01:51:24 AM »

Left-wing violence isn't a thing in this country generally. The average left-winger at these rallies isn't packing heat. For the most part, the worst anyone gets is a pie to the face or some glitter thrown on them. It's the right-wing that packs serious heat, both in public and private.

I have no doubt someone's going to show me an exception to the rule, but that doesn't mean the rule isn't still valid and apparent.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 05:08:37 AM »

Is that true, or did you see it on Fox News?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 05:35:32 AM »

Is that true, or did you see it on Fox News?
so you're saying you'd be shocked to find out left wing violence is on the rise since the election of Trump?  Really?  You're arguing it was equally as violent under Obama?

(I suppose you could have meant that it's not just young and white lefties doing violence, but I doubt that's your angle here)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies