Precincts reporting vs. % of total vote counted
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:08:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Precincts reporting vs. % of total vote counted
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Look @ the topic
# of precincts reporting

% of the total vote

Both

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Precincts reporting vs. % of total vote counted  (Read 1844 times)
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2017, 12:33:02 PM »

I've thought about this topic a bit. I remember last year when I found out that # of precincts =/= total # of votes and some have said that the # of precincts method that sites use like NYT is better in contrast to CNN using the percentage of the total vote.

So which method do y'all think is more appropriate to use for elections or both should be used?
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 05:54:25 PM »

I kinda like % of total vote more.  Sure, it doesn't portray the whole picture, but it's a little easier for the average viewer to understand, especially if it's, for example, something like this:

80% of precincts have reported but 30% of the vote still needs to be counted.

idk I just like the latter
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 06:38:50 PM »

% of total vote is the only thing that comes anywhere remotely close to being accurate.

For instance, AZ's primaries last year had "0% of precincts reporting" despite more than 70% of the vote being in, largely because of early vote (but also because ED voting could be done at any number of voting locations in each county that wasn't tied to 'precincts').
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 11:28:18 PM »

% of total vote is the only thing that comes anywhere remotely close to being accurate.

For instance, AZ's primaries last year had "0% of precincts reporting" despite more than 70% of the vote being in, largely because of early vote (but also because ED voting could be done at any number of voting locations in each county that wasn't tied to 'precincts').

You still have crazies who think that the DNC stole Arizona from Bernie because of that.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 12:52:01 PM »

How is it possible to ascertain the % of vote left in outstanding precincts?  Surely these are just estimates.

I like knowing the number of precincts reported. 
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 10:28:34 AM »

Knowing what precincts are in made sense from states with relatively uniform precincts (IL law stipulates that precincts be between 500 and 1000 registered voters, unless the jurisdiction is too small) and little or no early vote not assigned to a precinct. That doesn't happen much anymore so it's better to report based on the total vote, even if that is an estimate that changes as the count goes on. Personally I like having both numbers, so I can check where missing precincts are, but most of the public isn't into that level of detail.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies