Who would be President Pence's Vice President?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:59:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Who would be President Pence's Vice President?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who would be President Pence's Vice President?  (Read 1555 times)
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2017, 01:56:12 PM »

If Trump did indeed get impeached or resigned (not that I'm expecting he would), who would Mike Pence choose as his VP? My money would be on Nikki Haley getting a promotion in that scenario.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 01:59:11 PM »

Haley might be a smart choice, but in that position I would see Pence giving zero f's and would pick a guy like Cruz, or a Cruz like guy that he likes.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 02:01:22 PM »

Haley, Rubio or Tim Scott I think. Maaaaaaaaaybe Romney if Pence wants to distance himself from Trump and pick someone who is competent enough to help him get the country out of the chaos created by Trump's scandals.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 03:03:21 PM »

Trump isn't going to be impeached. Sheesh, do you guys ever stop with this nonsense?
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 03:10:19 PM »

Trump isn't going to be impeached. Sheesh, do you guys ever stop with this nonsense?
I actually think he's more likely to die from health complications than be impeached, so let's say if he died in office, who would Pence pick as his vice president?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 03:10:41 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2017, 03:20:03 PM by We're never gonna have it so good! »

There has to be an actual crime to impeach him. I've heard a lot of unnamed sources drop a lot of allegations, but not any proof. Show me proof of a cover-up and I'll be the first to call for his removal from office.

Let's say that Trump takes my advice (if I could give it to him). I'd tell him to not seek reelection and focus on getting the "wall" (which means a fence and thousands of new border patrol agents, guys) built, deport as many illegals as possible, eventually provide for a phased withdraw from NAFTA, and work with the Democrats on infrastructure and maybe criminal justice reform (which I know is a pipe dream with this President, I admit). Trump can stand down in 2020 and cast himself as a modern day Cincinatus and turn the keys over to Pence.

Oh yeah, and the answer is clearly Haley. She's been positioning herself for 2024 since the SC primary.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 03:11:21 PM »

Haley or Jeb!
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 03:13:57 PM »

Joni Ernst?
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 03:24:09 PM »

Haley or Rubio if Florida has a Republican governor at the time. But Haley brings more assets to the table.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 03:30:32 PM »

There has to be an actual crime to impeach him. I've heard a lot of unnamed sources drop a lot of allegations, but not any proof. Show me proof of a cover-up and I'll be the first to call for his removal from office.

To an extent, Trump is facing a witch hunt. I cannot stress how much I dislike the man and his politics, but to date, there has not been any real evidence connecting him to a crime. That is why I actively avoid the countless threads that appear on here about "breaking news: more allegations against Trump!" And since when did the FBI and the deep state become the ally of freedom and democracy? These are the same people who've dedicated their careers to institutions that actively participate in overthrowing and subverting foreign governments - including democratically elected ones. Plus, all this Russia hysteria is just nonsense. I have no doubt Russia interferes in Western elections, quite possibly even ours in 2016, and while it's unquestionably wrong and should be stopped, it's funny to see Americans up-in-arms over it when we've been doing the exact same thing (often much worse) to others, including Russia, for decades. Hell, we even did it to Russia in the '90s while the country languished in mass poverty, unemployment, and social decay, all while their elite, allied with us, pillaged their country. Putin and his anti-American politics arose and became popular as a result of that.

Anyway, rant over. That's just been bothering me for months, but I've been quiet about it until now. Honestly, I just find all this anti-Trump, anti-Russia hysteria amazing and either hilarious or sad. However, I also find Trump incredibly incompetent, which is made even worse by an unprecedented plague of investigations, leaks, and media harassment.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 04:03:38 PM »

Haley or Rubio if Florida has a Republican governor at the time. But Haley brings more assets to the table.
We will have a Republican governor. I can guarantee you that. Support for Putnam on the ground is almost as strong and fervent for Trump in the same sectors that gave Trump the state to begin with. The battleground in Florida isn't Palm Beach, Miami Dade, and Saint Petersburg anymore. It's Polk County and Indian River and the Panhandle that matter. He'll drive his numbers up while Democrats (especially ex Bernie supporters who back the second best man for the job John Morgan) will be uninspired by Graham.

Rubio would be a great VP. He's an empty suit, and he'll hide enough in the shadows that the revelation of his many scandals (the slush funds, the mistress, etc) will come out. Even if it isn't confirmed, it'll spin a narrative that he's a puppet. In 2024 he'll sink like a lead zeppelin just like last time.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 04:37:21 PM »

Let's say that Trump takes my advice (if I could give it to him). I'd tell him to not seek reelection and focus on getting the "wall" (which means a fence and thousands of new border patrol agents, guys) built, deport as many illegals as possible, eventually provide for a phased withdraw from NAFTA, and work with the Democrats on infrastructure and maybe criminal justice reform (which I know is a pipe dream with this President, I admit). Trump can stand down in 2020 and cast himself as a modern day Cincinatus and turn the keys over to Pence.

Oh yeah, and the answer is clearly Haley. She's been positioning herself for 2024 since the SC primary.

Yeah, every word of this is correct.  Trump needs to get four domestic agendas done in his first term: Obamacare repeal (using the upcoming senate bill as the starting point, rather than the AHCA), tax reform (should be easy, and should have been done first), immigration (build a wall and deport as many criminal illegals as possible), and infrastructure (to throw a bone to the democrats, hopefully at the beginning of 2019 so we see some results by the 2020 election).  Those four things, along with renegotiating NAFTA and other trade agreements, and continuing what he's been doing with foreign policy will leave him a pretty solid legacy.  Then he can announce in late 2019 that he isn't planning to seek reelection, and turn it over to Pence.  Those issues were his big ones during his campaign, so he can easily say, "Look, I'm 74, I accomplished more in 4 years than any other president has done in 8, I accomplished everything I wanted to accomplish, etc.".

And as Sanchez said, if Pence gets the nomination in 2020, of course Haley will be VP.
The funny thing is, even if Trump doesn't accomplish jack in the next four years and stands down, he'll still crown himself Cincinnatus (who Trump doesn't even know of, as I noted in my conversation with Mechaman last week-the man's brilliant but he isn't a historian) of the 21st century.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 04:56:22 PM »

Yeah, every word of this is correct.  Trump needs to get four domestic agendas done in his first term: Obamacare repeal (using the upcoming senate bill as the starting point, rather than the AHCA), tax reform (should be easy, and should have been done first), immigration (build a wall and deport as many criminal illegals as possible), and infrastructure (to throw a bone to the democrats, hopefully at the beginning of 2019 so we see some results by the 2020 election).  Those four things, along with renegotiating NAFTA and other trade agreements, and continuing what he's been doing with foreign policy will leave him a pretty solid legacy.  Then he can announce in late 2019 that he isn't planning to seek reelection, and turn it over to Pence.  Those issues were his big ones during his campaign, so he can easily say, "Look, I'm 74, I accomplished more in 4 years than any other president has done in 8, I accomplished everything I wanted to accomplish, etc.".

And as Sanchez said, if Pence gets the nomination in 2020, of course Haley will be VP.

And the likelihood of this happening is?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 04:58:38 PM »

I give it 20%. Trump knows when to hold them and when to fold them.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 05:20:29 PM »

Tim Scott, Kelly Ayotte, Scott Brown, Nikki Haley, and Cory Gardner are my guesses.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 05:32:07 PM »

I give it 20%. Trump knows when to hold them and when to fold them.

Sanchez, not sure why you deleted that comment, but I don't see Trump's legislative skill as a matter of negotiating and holding and folding. It's about the popularity of these measures, the coalition's ability to force Congress to pass it, and so on.

What you listed, altogether, is very arduous to pass, with a popular president. I don't see Trump having the capital or political cachet to pass it. Especially healthcare & tax reform.

(Repasted)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 06:11:52 PM »

And Democrats will just let Pence choose a Republican? With increased partisianship, I almost expect it to be a Blue-Dogish Democrat like Jon Bel Edwards, to win over certain Democrats.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 07:52:08 PM »

Former Governor Mitt Romney MA

Senator John Thune SD

Senator Shelley Moore Capito WV

Governor Brian Sandoval NV

Governor Susana Martinez NM

Governor Greg Abbott TX

Former Congressman J.C. Watts OK

Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice CA

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2017, 07:54:40 PM »

Hopefully someone like Kasich, Sandoval or Jeb so we can get someone competent and good after they impeach Pence too.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2017, 08:24:43 PM »

As of now, there is no plans for impeachment, but it will be an election issue in the midterms and 2020 election and Dems chances have improved.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2017, 08:32:40 PM »

Hopefully someone like Kasich, Sandoval or Jeb so we can get someone competent and good after they impeach Pence too.

One of them men you list as paragons of competence recently blew through $100 million dollars to end up with fewer delegates (and votes) than Ben Carson. I don't doubt Jeb was a satisfactory governor of Florida but the presidency requires being able to survive in a spotlight. Politics is not for the feint of heart, and Jeb is clearly feint of something.

As for the other two it would be hard to imagine Pence picking a pro-choicer in Sandoval or gelatinous pile of ooze in Kasich.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2017, 08:37:32 PM »

One of them men you list as paragons of competence recently blew through $100 million dollars to end up with fewer delegates (and votes) than Ben Carson. I don't doubt Jeb was a satisfactory governor of Florida but the presidency requires being able to survive in a spotlight. Politics is not for the feint of heart, and Jeb is clearly feint of something.

As for the other two it would be hard to imagine Pence picking a pro-choicer in Sandoval or gelatinous pile of ooze in Kasich.

Kasich is pretty much 10x the person of anyone in Trump's cabinet right now or most Republican politicians. He has been called a traitor since he was in local office and has always been willing to work with the other side and stayed conservative.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2017, 08:39:31 PM »

Rubio comes to mind immediately.

Sandoval would be nice, but unlikely due to pro-choice. I think it is likely he would pick a young conservative Senator.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2017, 08:51:21 PM »

Kasich is pretty much 10x the person of anyone in Trump's cabinet right now or most Republican politicians. He has been called a traitor since he was in local office and has always been willing to work with the other side and stayed conservative.

Kasich is ten times the person of any bigger name, besides the likes of Joe Biden.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2017, 10:36:38 PM »

I have to assume they're setting Haley up for the job.

A former South Carolina Governor makes Southern states happy, and someone who was elected in the tea party wave can impress the base, but she's a woman of color, which adds diversity of the party. As UN Ambassador, she'll have foreign policy experience, in addition to connections with Washington, without being tied too heavily to the Trump administration, alienating Trump supporters, or being tainted by association with Congress.

If vetting doesn't go well, there are a few other choices.

Scott Walker- Adds a swing state Republican to the ticket, and doubles down on the rust belt. He's an insider with blue collar credibility. His lack of DC connections limits his ability to govern.

Tim Pawlenty- Has some of the advantages of Walker, while he's seen as a superior political talent and could help govern in DC. His lobbyist work might be a problem.

Rob Portman- He has a good resume, but he might be seen as too similar to Pence and Republicans might not want a special election in Ohio.

Marco Rubio- He would immediately become the most prominent Hispanic politician ever, help with governing as well as the party's image, and be a surrogate for the White House in a key swing state. Republicans might not want a special election in Florida.

Mitt Romney- He would help with governing, and is used to national scrutiny. The public would see him as qualified. It won't complicate plans for any key elections.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies