Pew: 1/6 newlyweds are married to someone of a different race/ethnicity
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:44:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Pew: 1/6 newlyweds are married to someone of a different race/ethnicity
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What will be the political effect of increasing intermarriage rates?
This will favor Dems

This will favor the GOP

This will have no effect

It's too early to tell

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Pew: 1/6 newlyweds are married to someone of a different race/ethnicity  (Read 907 times)
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2017, 02:32:05 PM »
« edited: May 21, 2017, 02:34:16 PM by NJ is Better than TX »

I posted part of the results of this recent Pew report in another thread, but since the whole thing is quite fascinating I felt it would be good to post it here.

Report: http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2017/05/18/intermarriage-in-the-u-s-50-years-after-loving-v-virginia/

The main result from the report:

Other findings:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I also posted a poll to see if you guys think this will have any political effect. I personally think it might favor Democrats slightly, simply because the increasing number of multiracial children will result in a more diverse electorate; the fact that they'll mostly be born in metropolitan areas would also likely help Democrats. What do you think?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 02:35:19 PM »

If anything, it should lead to a decline in racial polarization and a gradual convergence of white and minority political views.  That doesn't obviously favor either party, but probably helps Republicans in the North and Democrats in the South on net.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 02:53:14 PM »

Whites and hispanics intermarrying is no surprise.  It's only the forces of the hard left that want to see Hispanics kept in a box.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 03:42:55 PM »

Whites and hispanics intermarrying is no surprise.  It's only the forces of the hard left that want to see Hispanics kept in a box.

Further proof that white Hispanics are no more of a minority group than Italians are.  In 30 years, society will probably see it that way (technically, America is actually getting whiter with each passing day).
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 03:47:51 PM »

Whites and hispanics intermarrying is no surprise.  It's only the forces of the hard left that want to see Hispanics kept in a box.

The President of the United States ran a campaign founded on putting Hispanics in a box and pummeling them. Those who insist on making the inclusion and integration of Hispanic immigrant communities in the United States into a political issue are Republicans.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 03:49:41 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2017, 03:55:57 PM by Technocratic Timmy »

Whites and hispanics intermarrying is no surprise.  It's only the forces of the hard left that want to see Hispanics kept in a box.

Further proof that white Hispanics are no more of a minority group than Italians are.  In 30 years, society will probably see it that way (technically, America is actually getting whiter with each passing day).

Italians eventually started calling themselves white. This was after WWII I think? A national crisis will foster solidarity with people.

Personally, friends of mine who were born to a Hispanic parent and a White parent never identify as solely "White" in my experience. They identify with both sides of the family. But their experience often times is similar to that of other Hispanic Americans since their physical appearance resembles that of a middle easterner/mestizo more often than not. This is a big barrier with them trying to attain the status of being White.

EDIT: I voted no effect.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 03:50:45 PM »

Further proof that white Hispanics are no more of a minority group than Italians are.  In 30 years, society will probably see it that way (technically, America is actually getting whiter with each passing day).

And yet the candidate that you voted for insisted that Mexicans, who identify as "white Hispanics" on the census, are rapists, criminals and good-for-nothing. We aren't going to be forgetting this treatment anytime soon.

I'm half-white and half-Mexican. Society does not see me as white, I do not see myself as white etc. Maybe this will change at some point but I'll never forget that those who loved the Republican Party always put me in the beaner box. There's hundreds of thousands of other Mexicans like me.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 08:12:08 PM »

Speaking as the child of a multiracial marriage, this is a good thing.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 06:56:47 AM »

Trying. Not. To. Make. Controversial. Statement.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 12:54:53 PM »

Trying. Not. To. Make. Controversial. Statement.

Huh
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies