NYT: The Conservative Force Behind Speeches Roiling College Campuses (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:44:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYT: The Conservative Force Behind Speeches Roiling College Campuses (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYT: The Conservative Force Behind Speeches Roiling College Campuses  (Read 2061 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« on: May 21, 2017, 05:14:38 PM »

Yeah, this is terrific.

Anyway, considering that even post-Trump primaries still seem to be mostly falling on establishment conservatism vs. Tea Party lines (such as Pope vs. Norman) -- and both groups are effectively different branches of movement conservatism -- it seems very, very difficult to suggest that the movement is dead, or is even in a rebuilding phase at all. It has control of Congress and most states, and seems to have a fair amount of influence within the Trump Administration as well.

Sanchez is correct that Trump won as a non-"movement conservative", though he misses that Trump won 40% in a split field that was entirely dominated by them and that there have been very few Trumpists of any stripe elected to Congress (the only 2016 freshman you could call a Trumpist while keeping a straight face is probably Clay Higgins). You could probably say that there are no Trumpist Senators at all. And so on, and so on.

So basically like how George Soros funds liberal events, except that this is real.

George Soros funding liberal events isn't real? Huh? Complaining about it is rather hypocritical for a lot of conservatives but let's not pretend it doesn't happen.

What is wrong with this exactly? Even if these speeches were planned just to draw reactions, it is up to the young leftists to rise above it and behave better. For Christ's sake, my second cousin is now refusing to speak to his mother because she made a joke in a mock Chinese accent. They're the ones who are the problem.

They're wasting their time. Anyone who came of age during the Bush years, tea party revolt, and finally Trump will never be Conservative in the numbers of previous generations . They've lost a generation and they better get used to it.

Go to any YAF meeting on a college campus....it's one part white frat guys looking to trigger libs and another part Christian extremists trying to outlaw abortion.
Lol you've clearly never been to a YAF meeting. It's mostly the blue blazer crowd of young anti-Trump "truh conservatuvs" and wanna-be edgy libertarians who are too afraid to even smoke a joint.

Well, there's a lot of overlap with the blue blazer crowd of young anti-Trump "truh conservatuvs" and the white frat guys looking to trigger libs. Just saying.
I don't mean to come off as a dick, but there seems to be a disconnect here. Do any of you guys know any young conservatives or talk politics with regular folks outside of Atlas? The frat kids who like to piss of "teh Libtards" are hardcore for Trump. The blue-blazer people are less involved in fraternities, and those who are hypocritically lament the "intellectual death" of the GOP while ironically yearning for Reagan. Idiots.

Very far from everybody goes to college, and very far from everybody yells their political affiliations at college. I'd note that at least stereotypically I don't think "frat kids" is a high-turnout group and I think "the blue-blazer people" are a small enough group as to be basically irrelevant. But I would note that Trumpism seems to be very, very weak on college campuses (eg, Trump came in fourth on OSU's campus, behind Kasich at over 2/3, Cruz, and Carson even though he'd dropped out) and "movement conservative" candidates rather stronger; more broadly, exit polls showed that Trump tended to be much stronger in the Republican primary with older than younger voters, though with significant regional variation (with some New England states reversed outright, but a greater-than-25-point gap in results in the Mountain West).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies