Nancy Pelosi's successor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:04:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Nancy Pelosi's successor?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Nancy Pelosi's successor?  (Read 8210 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2017, 04:01:26 PM »

I don't think Nancy Pelosi's successor as Leader of the Democratic Party in the U.S House has been elected yet.  Maybe in another 20-30 years.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2017, 02:57:01 PM »

Ben Ray Lujan, Linda Sanchez, Joe Crowley, and Cheri Bustos all come to mind.

Cheri Bustos is likely to run statewide in Illinois at some point...

Though leader of the DCCC, I haven't heard all that much about Ben Ray Lujan... we had disappointing cycles in 2014 and 2016, so not sure why he has been kept on, honestly. Plus I thought he was just kind of a legacy back-bencher, his Dad being the boss of NM politics...
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2017, 12:07:57 AM »

Somebody from the midwest. Preferably someone outside the mainstream.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2017, 01:32:12 AM »

Hopefully someone good.
Realistically, some establishment neoliberal hawk like Steny Hoyer.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2017, 01:45:38 AM »

Somebody from the midwest. Preferably someone outside the mainstream.

I think Mark Pocan would square the circle. Midwestern. Down-to-earth. Gay. I think he could appeal to the middle and also rake in $$ from the coasts...
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2017, 12:29:18 PM »

Ben Ray Lujan, Linda Sanchez, Joe Crowley, and Cheri Bustos all come to mind.

Cheri Bustos is likely to run statewide in Illinois at some point...

Though leader of the DCCC, I haven't heard all that much about Ben Ray Lujan... we had disappointing cycles in 2014 and 2016, so not sure why he has been kept on, honestly. Plus I thought he was just kind of a legacy back-bencher, his Dad being the boss of NM politics...

Bustos has passed up on a Senatorial and gubernatorial run. Unless she gets Durbin's seat in 2020, I would bet she wants to go up in the leadership in the House.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2017, 04:57:32 PM »

Here's the sad thing - I can't think of one person in the house who would be good for that role. I imagined Chris Van Hollen would take it, and now he's a Senator. I then imagined Xavier Beccerra, and now he's Cali Attorney General. God damn it CAN NOT be Steny Hoyer, so who?

lol Clyburn. I genuinely do not think Tim Ryan is up to the job. Until his recent endorsement of Fake Democrats in New York, I kind of liked the prospect of Speaker Ellison. Crowley is awful, Richard Neal strikes me as a random liberal white dude.

Dark horse prospect - I like John Yarmuth of Kentucky. He's strong on a lot of issues that grassroots progressives care about, he's from a state where there are people that Democrats just need to understand better, seems like a hard worker. I'm not sure of how much of a speaker he could be, but I think he'd be a good face to put on the national stage.

My list now:

1. John Yarmuth
2. Keith Ellison
3. Tim Ryan

Anyone else is kind of disappointing even CONSIDERING that Nancy Pelosi sounds worse and worse every day.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2017, 05:41:14 PM »

Roughly geographically, it's time for a Democratic leader from either the Northeast or the South-

Pelosi (West)
Gephardt (Midwest)
Foley (West)
Wright (South)
O'Neill (Northeast)
Albert (South)
McCormack (Northeast)
Rayburn (South)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2017, 06:02:22 PM »

Roughly geographically, it's time for a Democratic leader from either the Northeast or the South-

Pelosi (West)
Gephardt (Midwest)
Foley (West)
Wright (South)
O'Neill (Northeast)
Albert (South)
McCormack (Northeast)
Rayburn (South)

ahhh yeah the tars are aligning for Yarmuth.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2017, 06:37:55 PM »

As the announced alternative, I prefer Tim Ryan to Pelosi, but would be open to other options. If there's anyone from between the Appalachians and the Rockies (inclusive) with strong labor ties and a good position on global warming, I think they deserve a hearing.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2017, 06:38:46 PM »

As the announced alternative, I prefer Tim Ryan to Pelosi, but would be open to other options. If there's anyone from between the Appalachians and the Rockies (inclusive) with strong labor ties and a good position on global warming, I think they deserve a hearing.

It's too bad Perlmutter is running for governor.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2017, 07:47:12 PM »

If you want someone with strong labor ties, Donald Norcross was "president of the Southern New Jersey AFL-CIO Central Labor Council for 16 years," according to Wikipedia.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2017, 07:54:03 PM »

What about (unfortunately my rep) Jim Cooper?  He still has that "blue dog" appeal despite being reliably liberal on most issues.  A drawback is that the Democratic Party would need to come up with a secession plan or scheme to move him to Cohen's seat in Memphis, since he is quite likely to be out of a seat in Nashville following 2020 redistricting since Nashville is D+7, but is surrounded entirely by TN-4, TN-6, and TN-7, which are all R+20 or so.  There's no reason to expect anything other than four ~R+15 districts that contain pieces of Nashville.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2017, 08:24:53 PM »

What about (unfortunately my rep) Jim Cooper?  He still has that "blue dog" appeal despite being reliably liberal on most issues.  A drawback is that the Democratic Party would need to come up with a secession plan or scheme to move him to Cohen's seat in Memphis, since he is quite likely to be out of a seat in Nashville following 2020 redistricting since Nashville is D+7, but is surrounded entirely by TN-4, TN-6, and TN-7, which are all R+20 or so.  There's no reason to expect anything other than four ~R+15 districts that contain pieces of Nashville.

Show me a map that would produce an 8-1 R delegation in Tennessee.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2017, 11:17:30 PM »

Show me a map that would produce an 8-1 R delegation in Tennessee.

I can't get the redistricting thing to work on my computer for some reason, but it's really simple and would have been done in 2010 if the state legislature realized that we were permanently an ultra-red state on the state level.  Essentially, you slice Nashville up like a pizza between TN-4 (DesJarlais), TN-5 (Cooper), TN-6 (Black), and TN-7 (Blackburn).  Their PVIs are R+20, D+7, R+24, and R+20.  That means that you can draw four ~R+15 districts (57/4=14.25).  All four would be completely Safe R.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2017, 11:51:36 PM »

As leader? Probably Ryan or Hoyer, hopefully Seth Moulton or Adam Smith

In her district? Maybe Mark Leno
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2017, 04:44:38 AM »

Nancy Pelosi is on the path to become Speaker once again after next year's midterms. If she becomes Speaker once again and we defeat Donald Trump in 2020, I think she'll eventually resign on a high point, particularly if Democrats win the trifecta in 2020.

Right now, I have no doubt she is the best leader for the Democratic Party in the House. I don't think we can get anyone as progressive as her for leader for a long time. A lot of us on the left need to be realistic. We have a San Francisco liberal, once part of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, as the leader of our party in the House. What do you really think we're going to get if she stands down prematurely? Obviously, the answer is corporate Dem Steny Hoyer. Do you really think we're going to get another Bay Area liberal type as the next leader?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2017, 12:00:04 PM »

Nancy Pelosi is on the path to become Speaker once again after next year's midterms. If she becomes Speaker once again and we defeat Donald Trump in 2020, I think she'll eventually resign on a high point, particularly if Democrats win the trifecta in 2020.

Right now, I have no doubt she is the best leader for the Democratic Party in the House. I don't think we can get anyone as progressive as her for leader for a long time. A lot of us on the left need to be realistic. We have a San Francisco liberal, once part of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, as the leader of our party in the House. What do you really think we're going to get if she stands down prematurely? Obviously, the answer is corporate Dem Steny Hoyer. Do you really think we're going to get another Bay Area liberal type as the next leader? Xavier Becerra if Nancy Pelosi steps down on a high point.  Steny Hoyer if Dems fail to recapture the House
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2017, 06:24:02 PM »

Right now, I have no doubt she is the best leader for the Democratic Party in the House. I don't think we can get anyone as progressive as her for leader for a long time. A lot of us on the left need to be realistic. We have a San Francisco liberal, once part of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, as the leader of our party in the House. What do you really think we're going to get if she stands down prematurely? Obviously, the answer is corporate Dem Steny Hoyer. Do you really think we're going to get another Bay Area liberal type as the next leader?

I actually don't like liberals all that much, and especially those from the Bay Area. Corporate types should be kept out too, but I don't like Pelosi for pretty straightforward reasons.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2017, 09:41:51 AM »

*bump*

Regardless of who you want for the job, who do you think is her most likely successor?
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2017, 10:18:59 AM »

*bump*

Regardless of who you want for the job, who do you think is her most likely successor?

Hoyer?
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2017, 01:29:33 PM »

Hopefully Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Maxine Waters, Keith Ellison, or that guy who thinks Guam will tip over if there are too many people
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2017, 01:38:49 PM »

Hopefully Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Maxine Waters, Keith Ellison, or that guy who thinks Guam will tip over if there are too many people
It can't be any worse than Denny Hastert.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2017, 03:24:53 PM »

Its premature to oust her in 2017, she will wait for the outcome of the House races in 2018, before deciding to retire for good.  But, Dems do have opportunities in PA, FL, Ca, NY and NY and VA where they are expected to do good on gubernatorial elections.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2017, 03:31:31 PM »

Best scenario would be her announcing now that she will retire at the beginning of the next Congress.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies