Students walk out of Pence speech
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:57:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Students walk out of Pence speech
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Students walk out of Pence speech  (Read 3540 times)
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 09:56:10 AM »

If Bernie Sanders came to speak at my graduation, I would hate it, but I wouldn't walk out. I would toughen up, listen to it all, and take his speech with a grain of salt.

And are libs really calling conservatives who thought these kids were immature snowflakes? Really? After these kids couldn't bother listening to a damn speech?
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 09:58:16 AM »

If Bernie Sanders came to speak at my graduation, I would hate it, but I wouldn't walk out. I would toughen up, listen to it all, and take his speech with a grain of salt.

And are libs really calling conservatives who thought these kids were immature snowflakes? Really? After these kids couldn't bother listening to a damn speech?

Sorry but there are snowflakes on both sides of the aisle.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 09:59:34 AM »

Sorry but there are snowflakes on both sides of the aisle.
I get that, but so many libs are ignoring the real snowflakes at this event.

I'm not a hypocrite, TD.  I'm just talking about this.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2017, 10:04:41 AM »

That's true but I just feel there is a generational desire to have ideological bubbles and never deal with the other side. Fox News is one giant safe space. This thread is a classic safe space on the Left (Pence's real threat is his ability to govern as an effective conservative president -- Grumps should support Pence over Trump for this reason in fact).

Gay rights is a red herring at this point honestly. Nobody's gonna threaten them and transgender rights will be legal in 5-10 years.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 10:11:05 AM »

It's surprising people actually give a damn about this.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2017, 10:12:19 AM »

bernie sanders doesn't want to electrocute you, sweetie
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2017, 10:12:42 AM »

It's one thing to think someone is immature, it's another thing to think these kids should be expelled. The latter group are undeniably snowflakes
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2017, 11:38:11 AM »

Seriously you're going to hold it against Pence for his faith on the gays?

Yes.

Also commencement speeches are a HP tradition, anyway. Nothing of importance is ever said, the contention certain speakers cause isn't worth it. There's certainly no "new ideas" to be heard in a Mike Pence speech to Notre Dame. Just old, hated, terrible ideas that will hopefully die with Mike Pence's generation.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2017, 11:41:05 AM »

That doesn't make you tough or smart, it means you're complacent and do what you're told.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2017, 11:59:53 AM »

Seriously you're going to hold it against Pence for his faith on the gays? I support gay rights but I don't understand the emphasis on it to the exclusion of many other issues, especially when it's settled law at this point. It's even more ironclad than Roe and will never be reversed.

No President is going to fight gay rights ever again. The gay rights fight is a dead letter especially after North Carolina.
Hell yes.  And not gay rights are not settled points, they are and will be under attack for many years by bigots like Pence.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2017, 12:53:05 PM »

I'm no fan of Pence, but I wouldn't have done it. I think they should be more respectful and at least listen to what he has to say. You can stand up and walk out if he makes disgraceful remarks or insults.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2017, 01:03:22 PM »

Kind of stupid. Pence hasn't said anything racist, egregious (wasn't gay electrocution therapy years ago?), or the sort. He's also fairly standard as a Republican vice president.

This is a bit snowflakey.

He supports the right of businesses to deny services to gays, and believes that gays and non-Christians can't go to Heaven. Even Trump isn't that bad.

This why all the omgzlefties around here need to realize a President Pence isn't what you want.

I'd take Pence over Trump any day.

I don't agree with him politically but I won't go to sleep each night wondering if his early morning tweets will start a war.  And there likely wouldn't be a barrage of scandals coming out daily.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2017, 02:12:55 PM »

Ah, a couple of the attention whores who walked out are on CNN now.....lol. 
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2017, 02:36:54 PM »

A bunch of kids who prolly reek of weed and who get asked, "Are you Indian? Native American? No wait...Asian?"
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2017, 02:41:12 PM »

I'm no fan of Pence, but I wouldn't have done it. I think they should be more respectful and at least listen to what he has to say. You can stand up and walk out if he makes disgraceful remarks or insults.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2017, 02:42:19 PM »

A bunch of kids who prolly reek of weed and who get asked, "Are you Indian? Native American? No wait...Asian?"

So how does it feel that they will always be more successful than you?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2017, 02:43:52 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2017, 02:47:54 PM by Senator Scott »

This isn't so much about Pence as much as it is what he represents: a Trump lackey.  Whether you agree or disagree with that classification, it's the students' way of protesting Trump (and Pence's actions against LGBT people to an extent; fewer people would care as much if he weren't the sitting Vice President).  There were protests at my college last fall during a Pence campaign event.  It was very peaceful.

Just as Pence has the right to speak, others have the right to protest or tune him out.  Free speech is a two-way street.  This is something that (ugh) BOTH SIDES fail to comprehend.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2017, 02:47:52 PM »

Positively disgusting. I wouldn't walk out on Bloomberg, who is just as despicable a person. Very poor behavior. You sit respectfully! The liberals are positively out of control at this point. Savages.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2017, 02:54:02 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2017, 02:56:34 PM by publicunofficial »

Positively disgusting. I wouldn't walk out on Bloomberg, who is just as despicable a person. Very poor behavior. You sit respectfully! The liberals are positively out of control at this point. Savages.

I would absolutely walk out on Bloomberg, for the record.

Nothing is gained by listening to rich old conservatives drone platitudes about how to succeed in the horrific system of society that generations of men like them have created. Skip the speech, hang out with friends, smoke a joint. Time better spent.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2017, 03:01:55 PM »

Mike Bloomberg deserves to be walked out on just for being Mike Bloomberg - not just when he's giving speeches, but in general.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2017, 03:04:19 PM »

good for them.  That's a million times better than acting like a spoiled child and trying to shout him down or acting like a mentally ill spider monkey and starting violence.

This was exactly my thought on the matter. I don't agree with it, but at least they aren't interfering with the ability of people who want to hear him speak to do so.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2017, 03:38:44 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2017, 03:45:04 PM by #woke O'Malley 2020 »

Unlike these pricks, some of us have obligations to our families to be photographed holding an empty diploma folder.

EDIT: For the record, I don't understand the point of commencement speakers and assumed it was simply we were assigned to suffer through, much like the rest of the ceremony. It matters little what varieties of fanaticism they embrace, their mere presence already implies their support of student torture.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2017, 04:15:58 PM »

WTF? Are you trying to insult people on the basis that they don't immediately look like lily-white Anglo-Saxons, or whatever race you favor? Are you trivializing the struggles of what actual Native Americans, Asians, and Indians (of both sorts) face? You've said a lot of things on this forum, but this racist trite marks a new low for you.

As for the protesters - congrats for exercising your First Amendment rights and standing up for what you believe in. Don't let trolls like Reaganfan or Tomi Lahren put you down.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2017, 04:23:50 PM »

Not really effective, but it's their right.

(I've been very respectfully been arguing with my old school auth right Hoosier residential college head on FB about it, who is very much one of the "these kids shouldn't graduate!!!!one!!1!" types)
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2017, 04:30:41 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2017, 04:32:15 PM by Reluctant Republican »

Yeah, I think anyone arguing they should not be allowed to graduate is rather silly.

It's one thing if they rushed the stage/drowned him out with boos/threw rotten tomatoes at him. But just walking out is probably the most respectful form of protest one can do. And Pence has a reputation all his own, so I can certainly see why some students might not want him there on "their day."
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies