When you knew Trump would win...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:24:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  When you knew Trump would win...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: When you knew Trump would win...  (Read 4393 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2017, 12:54:41 PM »

What were you doing and how did you react?

I was in my bedroom looking at the results online.  When it became apparent Trump would be victorious, I played the scary music from the Are You Afraid of the Dark? end credits.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 01:19:16 PM »

I was huddled in the corner of an airport waiting room since my flight was delayed long enough for me to hear him say the most important phrase of the 21st century thus far, "Only Rosie O'Donnell"

Irony was dead after that.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 01:22:59 PM »

First I drank. Then I went to the microphone to announce the rest of the audience at the grad watch party (who were still in denial mode) that T***p was going to win and that they'd better start dealing with it. Then I drank. Then I pestered a bunch of friends with incoherent rants about how nothing makes sense anymore. Then I drank. Then I threw up and had to be driven back home.

...yeah, I'm not proud.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 01:29:19 PM »

At 5AM when Mrs. Grumps told me that he won and he won PA........the coffee was sooooooooooo good that morning.  Cheesy
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 01:42:21 PM »

When my father-in-law called me to tell me that he had voted for Trump.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 01:45:29 PM »

I was listening to election livestreams on Youtube and fielding increasingly excited texts from my buddies.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 01:46:07 PM »

5:30 AM or so, my mom told me, since I just woke up. I was mildly annoyed and in disbelief that (at the time) Trump was also winning the popular vote.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 01:47:04 PM »

I had stopped caring who won weeks before.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 01:49:12 PM »

Wisconsin. I had a scorecard with like 200 elections i was tracking, but planned on going to bed before midnight because hillary was supposed to have it won by then. When Trump won wisconsin and i figured out he would win, a jill stein voting friend came over and we stayed up til 2 smoking and excitedly discussing the whys and what nexts. This was the first big surprise election in 20 years so i was excited to have witnessed it.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 02:30:35 PM »

When Michigan was too close to call, I started to panic. Once Trump pulled ahead in the early count in Wisconsin, I knew it was over. Most of my friends and family were still holding out hope, while I was pretty much going into rage mode, and knowing that half the country was probably jerking off to the idea that people like me were upset made me that much more blind with anger. I said plenty of things I'm not proud of, and aren't worthy of being repeated. Then, I cooled off and started trying to think about how things might not be so bad, and convince myself that Trump couldn't do as much damage as I thought. Also, I was trying to calm my friends/family, since that was when they were having their breakdown.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 02:32:20 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2017, 02:35:19 PM by Reaganfan »

Well I was with my friend at my apartment watching Fox News. As the results started looking better and better, he pulled off the trifecta by 11:00pm. Ohio, then North Carolina (which was a huge relief), then Florida.

My prediction map had him winning those, but still losing 260-278. However, at around 11:30pm, Fox called Wisconsin and it shot him to 232, and I knew that he was an obvious winner.

I didn't find out until later that other networks waited a few hours to call Wisconsin. Once he had Wisconsin, then Georgia, he was at 254 and I knew the 1 EV from Maine, 11 EV from Arizona and 3 EV from Alaska would put him at 269. Also, Michigan looked promising, although I didn't realize until nearly 2am that he was actually AHEAD in Pennsylvania which was of course the ballgame.

It wasn't as euphoric as you'd think because it had felt like he was winning the election, especially since the final debate. The intensity of the rallies, every final "undecided" person I knew here in Ohio bolting to Trump. I guess deep down I had a good feeling but my prediction map based on polls just couldn't swing blues states. MI-PA-WI = 46 electoral votes. That did it.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 02:55:25 PM »

My stomach wasn't feeling too great.  If it weren't for the weed I would've been vomiting into the toilet all night long.

I didn't sleep for the rest of the night or the day that followed.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 02:57:24 PM »

I was on my laptop. When I saw WI called for Ron Johnson, and that Trump was still ahead there, I knew he would probably win WI and therefore PA & MI, since he had been polling stronger in those two states.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 03:52:37 PM »

I was already concerned when Trump was winning Kentucky by 30 points.  I knew he'd win Kentucky (obviously) but the margin was concerning, and it did foreshadow the thrashing Hillary experienced throughout much of rural America.  
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 03:59:29 PM »

I was sitting on my couch in my living room thinking "Well, I guess we're really doing this. I guess this is how our lives are going to be now."

I also was very sick, so I took some mucinex and advil and went to bed
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 04:05:26 PM »

About 90 minutes before PA was called, it seemed to me that the odds were about 99% that Trump would win either WI or PA, and about 90% that he would win both. So then. And then there was a point (maybe 45 minutes before PA was called), where Trump had a pad in PA, with no votes in from Lebanon County. At that point, what Philly had out, didn't matter anymore. It was over.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 04:08:28 PM »

I was at a watch party. When FOX called Wisconsin I knew it was over. I cried.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 04:21:18 PM »

First I drank. Then I went to the microphone to announce the rest of the audience at the grad watch party (who were still in denial mode) that T***p was going to win and that they'd better start dealing with it. Then I drank. Then I pestered a bunch of friends with incoherent rants about how nothing makes sense anymore. Then I drank. Then I threw up and had to be driven back home.

...yeah, I'm not proud.

This, eh, definitely doesn't sound... like you.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 05:06:03 PM »

...yeah, I'm not proud.

This, eh, definitely doesn't sound... like you.

I know right?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2017, 05:13:15 PM »

While I already technically saw it coming when Comeyghazi leaked, and Hillary being forced back to Michigan in the last week, and I had my panicking and peace-making.

As for the actual day: I knew it was over when I was browsing at work, and I saw Trump's margins in Ohio with very little in...methinks it was 6 PM at that time.

I figured Nevada and New Hampshire were gone for Clinton at that point, if she lost those, even if MI, PA, and WI held (had my doubts about WI at that point, but I was more certain of it than NV or NH) it was over.

So I rode home, got in at 7:30...and Wisconsin was called, that was when I knew... "Oh sh&*, this is gonna be even worse." I called up a co-worker to cede a bet made, he pointed out that AZ and MI weren't called. I pointed out that PA is the key...cut to PA flipping. This was 8:30 PM

I realized in that instant, after having already known it was over at 6 PM and that it was gonna be even worse at 7:30 PM, that it was going to be even crazier with all those Arizona and California votes out and about.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2017, 05:26:39 PM »

I accepted it watching the FL results coming in.

My friends and I got together and made red drinks that we called "Republican tears" going into the night. Once we saw those results going in, we moved over to blue drinks called "Democrat tears" while one of my best friends cried.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 07:12:56 PM »

Election night started for me when I was at my aunt and uncle's house to give the latter a birthday president. They were just chilling and taking care of a 2 month-old, and since the first returns had started to come in from Indiana and Kentucky on the drive there, I was like "hey, how about we watch the election?" Since it was still early in the night, I had no idea who would win (though I liked seeing the early returns in Virginia, ignorant to the fact that a deluge of votes in Fairfax would stop Trump from keeping the lead there). Florida seemed to be flipping endlessly, but I was sure Trump would win it once it was at >80% in and the only uncounted counties were the strongly R ones on the panhandle. I'm pretty sure the moment I knew Trump would win was when I saw him ahead in Michigan, which made me go "holy crap, he's ahead in Michigan..." After arriving home after a few hours at my aunt and uncle's house, I logged onto my computer to see how the internet was reacting... things were pretty explosive. I went to bed at around 11:30, when (if I recall correctly) Trump had been declared the winner, and every state had its "correct" result except New Hampshire, which took more than a day to flip.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 07:14:41 PM »

I was at a watch party. When FOX called Wisconsin I knew it was over. I cried.
This, but I hosted the party. The only party I've ever thrown. And I didn't cry, I got sprayed with gas station brand champaigne.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 07:27:55 PM »

Right here in this chair.  Surprised as hell, shocked, dismayed, and laughing my ass off.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 10:54:51 PM »

Right here in this chair.  Surprised as hell, shocked, dismayed, and laughing my ass off.

I laughed too. It was all so utterly surreal.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies