Opinion of Winthrop Rockefeller
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:07:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Winthrop Rockefeller
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Opinion of Winthrop Rockefeller  (Read 788 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2017, 02:31:13 PM »

First Republican Governor of Arkansas since Reconstruction, Nelson's brother...
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 02:33:20 PM »

Lean FF, definitely better than his brother.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 03:23:47 PM »

True story: he once found Nixon's hotel room and started pounding on the door yelling "Dick! Dick! Come on out Dick!" during a campaign swing through Arkansas. Pat Buchanan, who was the only aide present, tried to take him down thinking he was a threat.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 03:25:17 PM »

Massive FF. The greatest Governor of Arkansas ever, and a man who lived a life much bigger and greater than many, if not most, Presidents.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 06:41:34 PM »

FF, for sure!
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 08:12:51 PM »

Better than all his predecessors. Terrible family, though.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 09:18:01 PM »

The Arkansas Rockefellers were the best Rockefellers.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 03:02:32 PM »

Massive FF like all Rockefeller politicans. But not as good as Nelson.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 03:12:15 PM »

Massive FF like all Rockefeller politicans.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 03:37:42 PM »

What do you like so much about Nelson? The mass incarceration, absurd spending increases, or his affairs? I think ol' Winny only comes close to him on one of those.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 03:38:51 PM »

What do you like so much about Nelson? The mass incarceration, absurd spending increases, or his affairs? I think ol' Winny only comes close to him on one of those.

None. Winthrop Rockefeller was twice the man his brother was, and Nelson Rockefeller was fifty times the man most politicians were and are.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 05:10:43 PM »

None. Winthrop Rockefeller was twice the man his brother was[...]

Understandable...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

...How? I know he was a weighty guy, but I didn't think that big...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 05:16:25 PM »

None. Winthrop Rockefeller was twice the man his brother was[...]

Understandable...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

...How? I know he was a weighty guy, but I didn't think that big...
Poor Megan Marshank was caught under him for quite a while.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 07:12:55 PM »

Jay Rockefeller from WV says hello.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 08:15:07 PM »

Jay Rockefeller from WV says hello.

Beat me to it.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 04:18:01 AM »

Nelson is the very definition of a pragmatic politician who got things done. Socially liberal and economically moderate. Rocky was definitely one of the best governors in US history. Strongly pro civil-rights, donated to good causes, and passed an expansion of health-care, conservation, urban housing, transportation and and expansion of universities as governor. LBJ actually wanted him as successor in 1968, and I'm sure we would have been far better off with a President Rockefeller. He was probably the best president we never had.

I don't care about his affairs, because that doesn't make him a bad politician. FDR also had affairs and nobody doubts that he was a great leader. Same for JFK.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 08:27:29 AM »

Your hatred of Nelson REALLY seems to go beyond ... Nelson.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 09:07:48 AM »
« Edited: May 25, 2017, 09:10:27 AM by #woke O'Malley 2020 »

I find the adoration of him hard to comprehend. There are far cleaner liberal Republicans to fawn over as paragons of muh progressive good government (my own preferences on the GOP left would be for, say, Mark Hatfield, Silvio Conte, even--for a later example--John Heinz, III). He offers little to either a legitimate leftist, or to someone who actually desires "fiscal responsibility". The 1970's under him would have been just as disastrous as, if not worse than, the dystopian decade this country actually experienced.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 09:38:58 AM »

I find the adoration of him hard to comprehend. There are far cleaner liberal Republicans to fawn over as paragons of muh progressive good government (my own preferences on the GOP left would be for, say, Mark Hatfield, Silvio Conte, even--for a later example--John Heinz, III). He offers little to either a legitimate leftist, or to someone who actually desires "fiscal responsibility". The 1970's under him would have been just as disastrous as, if not worse than, the dystopian decade this country actually experienced.

What I meant to say - and which now seems offbase, given your response, so I'm sorry - is that your hatred of him seems to go beyond the legitimate gripes you might have with some of his policies or specific decisions and seemed more to do with hating what he came to represent: the "Rockefeller Republican," which has come to symbolize elitism to some on "the right" of the GOP.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 10:38:10 AM »

What I meant to say - and which now seems offbase, given your response, so I'm sorry - is that your hatred of him seems to go beyond the legitimate gripes you might have with some of his policies or specific decisions and seemed more to do with hating what he came to represent: the "Rockefeller Republican," which has come to symbolize elitism to some on "the right" of the GOP.

I mean, that's undoubtedly a part of it as well, the same way some might despise certain other elected officials for what they represent--Reagan and Nixon being other obvious GOP examples.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 11:02:47 AM »

I mean, that's undoubtedly a part of it as well, the same way some might despise certain other elected officials for what they represent--Reagan and Nixon being other obvious GOP examples.

So, then, I find myself defending him for the exact opposite/same reason.  In isolation, I doubt I'd be this huge Rockefeller fan (seems pretty Bloombergy?), but I find the attacks on "Rockefeller Republicans" troublesome, especially when they're framed as any more elitist than your typical church-going evangelical in a suburb of Nashville, LOL.  I have never understood why social conservatism is less associated with elitism than social liberalism, especially given that it probably used to be the opposite.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2017, 12:41:11 PM »

Control of the media by a cosmopolitan elite (not to sound like a conspiracy theorist) is likely an easy thing to attribute that to.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies