Politico: Frustrated Republicans try to rewrite Congress’ rules
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:41:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Politico: Frustrated Republicans try to rewrite Congress’ rules
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Politico: Frustrated Republicans try to rewrite Congress’ rules  (Read 371 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2017, 04:46:36 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/22/republicans-rewrite-congress-rules-agenda-238336

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 05:17:11 PM »

GOOD!  

Let them go right ahead, then the next time the Democrats have even a slim trifecta we can just smoother all their unpopular laws that benefits the rich and fricking steamroll an entire progressive policy agenda as established law in just a few short weeks.

Then since progressive policy always end up being more popular the Republicans won't be able to take it all away without pissing off their constituents, like Obamacare.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 05:24:31 PM »

GOOD!   

Let them go right ahead, then the next time the Democrats have even a slim trifecta we can just smoother all their unpopular laws that benefits the rich and fricking steamroll an entire progressive policy agenda as established law in just a few short weeks.

Then since progressive policy always end up being more popular the Republicans won't be able to take it all away without pissing off their constituents, like Obamacare.

the dems don't have enough of a spine to do that
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 05:26:51 PM »

GOOD!  

What makes you think the Democrats would be interested in doing such a thing?

Oh, they'll be a few gestures, yeah. But there will be more talk of "bipartisanship" and "healing" and then they'll make sure to get Wall Street's sign-off on anything significant.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 08:43:13 PM »

I'm genuinely surprised that McConnell didn't do away with the filibuster on day one.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 10:32:23 PM »

The filibuster has to go on the long term to get stuff passed & I doubt the GOP has 52 votes for most legislation. It just gives the leadership & the moderates a safe excuse not to cast difficult votes.

So Mitch should take Lyin' Ted's so-called "genius" proposal of letting a VP rule on what can be filibustered & let them pass healthcare. In that case, the Democrats can pass anything with 51 votes.

However, I don't think it is impossible, given how idiots a lot of Democrats that they would want to play nice & not use the so-called VP Decision rule even after the GOP uses it !
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 11:47:22 PM »

I'm genuinely surprised that McConnell didn't do away with the filibuster on day one.

Oh remember Sanchez? Where the conciliatory party it's all about bipartisanship and trying to work with the people across the aisle. It's those mean old Democrats who have been nothing but part is an obstructionist. I know because you told me.

My party makes me sick some days
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies