Where have Atlas forumers been? (collaborative map)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:40:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Where have Atlas forumers been? (collaborative map)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Where have Atlas forumers been? (collaborative map)  (Read 1405 times)
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2017, 07:20:40 PM »

Inspired by the trend I started a while back on AH.com, I'd like to create a collaborative map of all the counties Atlas forumers have been to.

The light color represents one person, the dark one means multiple. The "priority" of the colors goes from top to bottom, so if you've only visited a county one person has lived in, don't make it dark.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 07:41:55 PM »

how does this work ?
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 08:12:37 PM »

Just copy the image and put it into an image editing program such as Paint or GIMP. There's a little box with all the colors you need, and use them in all the counties you've lived in/visited/driven through/etc.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 08:32:50 PM »

Is this only for the U.S. or for the whole world?
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 08:37:07 PM »

Is this only for the U.S. or for the whole world?
I've only created a US map at the moment, but I can do a world map later on.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 08:58:39 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2017, 09:28:33 PM by On Marchent »

I'm working on my additions. I should be done in half an hour or so. I've been to a lot of places out west.

Edit: I've been to every county in CA and NV. I've only been to some of the counties in NV just so I could say that I had been (Mineral, Esmeralda, and Lincoln).

JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 11:03:31 PM »

Nowhere near exclusive obviously. The only subtle change is changing Portland OR (the county of it) to orange.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 03:54:16 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2017, 04:10:07 AM by Beet »

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 04:59:36 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2017, 05:30:33 AM by muon2 »

I like the idea. Since I have over 1600 counties (and will have over 1700 by the end of summer), it probably is easier if I add mine later since fewer counties will need editing. One thing I wasn't clear on is the color scheme. If a county is colored by one person as stopped at - the yellow color, and the editor also only traveled through it, I should leave it alone. If the editor has also stopped there it be darkened one shade to brown. Right? If two people have already stopped there does it just stay that way until some one has either visited or lived there?

BTW this is my current map. I use slightly different colors and I don't distinguish between drove through and stopped for routine things like gas and food, but I do distinguish between whether or not I slept there.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 07:28:32 AM »

Yeah, I don't get the color scheme at all. Are the 4 levels travel, stop, stay over night, and live, and a county only gets darker when a poster has had a higher level of nexus to the county than the existing color on the map?
dax00

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 11:38:41 AM »

Yeah, I don't get the color scheme at all. Are the 4 levels travel, stop, stay over night, and live, and a county only gets darker when a poster has had a higher level of nexus to the county than the existing color on the map?
that's what I'm gonna assume the 4 tiers mean. think the darker shades mean multiple Atlas members.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 12:06:52 PM »

that's what I'm gonna assume the 4 tiers mean. think the darker shades mean multiple Atlas members.

It seems to me to be a level of nexus issue. For example, I have lived in LA County, Cook County, Washtenaw County, MI, Orange County, CA, and Columbia County, NY. I assume I would color all those counties the darkest color since I have lived in those counties. The number of posters at a given level of nexus would not be relevant. The generator of the OP can explain further if I have it wrong.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 12:08:53 PM »

Random think: is uploading county maps of places you've been the Atlas equivalent of posting food pics to Instagram?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 12:14:43 PM »

How does one access the map template for this?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 12:52:22 PM »

It seems to me to be a level of nexus issue. For example, I have lived in LA County, Cook County, Washtenaw County, MI, Orange County, CA, and Columbia County, NY. I assume I would color all those counties the darkest color since I have lived in those counties. The number of posters at a given level of nexus would not be relevant. The generator of the OP can explain further if I have it wrong.

I don't want to speak for the OP, but here's the way I interpreted it. There is a 2x4 matrix of choices. Each row corresponds to a different status level, such as lived in, or traveled through. The columns represent whether there was a single response or multiple responses at that status level. One member at a higher status level takes precedence over multiple members at a lower status level. Then again, I could have it all wrong.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 01:14:31 PM »

How does one access the map template for this?

Click on Beet's map and make sure that you download the full resolution one (it's like 4000x3000) and then copy/paste it into MS Paint.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 01:19:42 PM »

I don't want to speak for the OP, but here's the way I interpreted it. There is a 2x4 matrix of choices. Each row corresponds to a different status level, such as lived in, or traveled through. The columns represent whether there was a single response or multiple responses at that status level. One member at a higher status level takes precedence over multiple members at a lower status level. Then again, I could have it all wrong.

That's my interpretation as well.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 03:10:43 PM »

Yup this is it.

Does anyone have an idea of how to do this on a Mac?
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 08:36:56 PM »

Yup this is it.

Does anyone have an idea of how to do this on a Mac?
GIMP has a Mac version.

Also, the interpretation of the colors is pretty spot on.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 10:43:47 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2017, 12:33:14 PM by Crumpets »

After my additions - I've been pretty much everywhere out west apart from Nevada, and seen a lot of the Acela corridor, but hardly anything in the South or Midwest:

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2017, 11:08:07 PM »

I don't know every county I've been to.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2017, 07:44:36 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2017, 07:52:34 AM by muon2 »

When I started tracking this I was in my 20's. I began with the counties I lived in and the ones I remember that I slept in (visiting relatives, vacations, school trips, etc.). I then added the counties where I remember we visited someone or something, but didn't sleep there. If it took a drive to get to a destination, I assumed that we took the most direct route and determine the counties we passed through.

If you do that it will be a pretty good map to start from.

I'll be down in southern IL today looking at parks in the eclipse zone. I expect to add two or three counties, and change the status of others.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2017, 09:25:33 AM »

When I started tracking this I was in my 20's. I began with the counties I lived in and the ones I remember that I slept in (visiting relatives, vacations, school trips, etc.). I then added the counties where I remember we visited someone or something, but didn't sleep there. If it took a drive to get to a destination, I assumed that we took the most direct route and determine the counties we passed through.

If you do that it will be a pretty good map to start from.

I'll be down in southern IL today looking at parks in the eclipse zone. I expect to add two or three counties, and change the status of others.

I could get a mostly accurate map just from thinking about my own memories, but there's a few I would miss.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2017, 09:49:18 AM »

What is holding me back is figuring out all the counties that the highways I have traveled go through. Ouch!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2017, 10:50:07 AM »

What is holding me back is figuring out all the counties that the highways I have traveled go through. Ouch!
indeed
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies