FT 2-07: Concurrent Elections Amendment (2.0) (Final Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:29:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 2-07: Concurrent Elections Amendment (2.0) (Final Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 2-07: Concurrent Elections Amendment (2.0) (Final Vote)  (Read 586 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2017, 10:16:11 PM »
« edited: May 31, 2017, 09:26:14 AM by Barnes »

AN ACT
to amend the constitution
of the Commonwealth

Section 1 (Title)
I. The title of this Act shall be, the "Concurrent Elections Amendment." It may be cited alternatively as "Amendment I" or as the "First Amendment."

Section 2 (Parliamentary elections)
i. Article I, Section 3 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont shall be amended as follows:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

ii. The following shall be inserted following Article I, Section 6 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont, and all successive sections renumbered accordingly:

iii. The existing Article I, Section 7 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont shall be amended as follows:

Section 3 (Ministerial elections)
i. Article II, Section 2 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont shall be amended as follows:

ii. The following shall be inserted following Article II, Section 3 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont, and all successive sections renumbered accordingly:

iii. Article II, Section 4 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont shall be amended as follows:

Section 4 (Early elections)
i. Article V, Section 4 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont shall be amended as follows:

ii. Article V, Section 6 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont shall be amended as follows:

iii. Article V, Section 9 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont shall be amended to read as follows:
Order! I call the Prime Minister.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 10:38:03 PM »

My thanks to the Speaker.

This bill represents a second take at a constitutional amendment previously considered by this house which, for want of a sufficient majority, was rejected yesterday. Normally, I would not seek to revive a measure so soon after its defeat; however, considering that Mr. Barnes was the only member to voice an opinion on the matter prior to the vote, and considering further that no member actually voted against the amendment, so I have chosen to put the bill before the house a second time in the hope that this debate may be more meaningful than the last.

The effect of this bill, in the simplest terms, would be to adjust the schedule for parliamentary elections so that the prime minister is always elected at the same time as the House of Commons. Sections 3 and 4 would further amend our parliamentary system by allowing the prime minister to call for early elections and authorizing the House of Commons to pass a Vote of No Confidence against the government. Under the new system, the entire parliament (the prime minister and members of the Commons) would serve a three month term from the date of their election, unless sooner dissolved by the PM or by the Commons' lack of confidence in the government.

I look forward to hearing from each of my colleagues on this matter, and to what I hope will be a hearty and constructive debate.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 02:22:03 PM »

I rise to once again support these significant reforms to our constitution and see the further development of our unique parliamentary system. Seeing as there was no opposition recorded to these proposals, but rather a lack of commitment, on the last vote, I think it is quite proper to reconsider them now.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 04:38:18 PM »

>crickets<

Shall I assume the membership to be uniformly supportive of this amendment and prepared to approve it unanimously, then? Jolly good!

(In all seriousness, I get that constitutional reform is not everyone's cup of tea, but I'd like to hear from someone other than Barnes and myself - unless there really are no objections and we're ready to move to a final vote.)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 01:17:23 PM »

Under the provisions of the new Standing Order III (3), I seek to put the question. Members shall have twenty-four hours to object.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 09:25:54 AM »

The motion is agreed to. The questions now is that the bill be agreed to.

As many as are of that opinion, say Aye; those opposed, No. Division!

I remind Members of the constitutional requirement that at least a four-fifths majority must be reached to approve this bill.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 10:32:44 AM »

AYE!
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 03:16:26 PM »

Aye!
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 06:16:56 PM »

abstain
anthonyjg
anty1691

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -7.48

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 06:39:39 PM »

aye
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 07:13:36 PM »

Aye
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 03:05:12 PM »

With a vote of four in favor, none opposed, and one abstaining, the motion is agreed to by a majority of four fifths as required by Article VI of the Constitution and is accordingly ADOPTED by this House.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies