Brennan: We have been aware of Russia meddling and Trump camp. contacts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:12:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Brennan: We have been aware of Russia meddling and Trump camp. contacts
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Brennan: We have been aware of Russia meddling and Trump camp. contacts  (Read 726 times)
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2017, 10:32:12 AM »
« edited: May 23, 2017, 10:33:46 AM by ApatheticAustrian »

Asked about collusion, Brennan says "I was worrried by a number of contacts that Russians had with US persons" & had "unresolved questions"

Brennan: "I was aware of intel that revealed contacts & interactions between Russian officials and US persons involved in Trump campaign."

More Brennan: "I was concerned because of known Russan efforts to suborn such individuals."

Brennan"I have unfortunately grudging respect for Russian intel acivities...They are aggressively trying to evaludate individuals in govt."

Citing examples of Russian "active measures," Brennan mentions use of "blackmail, kompromot" to "leverage for their own purposes."
https://twitter.com/Isikoff/status/867036247629475840

Ex-CIA chief John Brennan: 'Russia brazenly interfered' in US elections
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/23/politics/john-brennan-house-intelligence-committee/
You must be logged in to read this quote.

The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 10:45:18 AM »

Justice also cleared Mueller to investigate Manafort, Kushner, and Ivanka. No impediment to the investigation it would appear.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 11:43:28 AM »

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 11:46:27 AM »

Where are you quoting from?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 11:47:56 AM »

Of course he doesn't know for sure whether collusion happened. That's why there are investigations going on to find out if that happened, which they wouldn't need to carry out if they already knew the answer. When you have a foreign entity meddle in an election in favor of a particular candidate, and that candidate's campaign had multiple contacts with representatives of that foreign entity, you need to have an investigation.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 11:58:30 AM »

Of course he doesn't know for sure whether collusion happened. That's why there are investigations going on to find out if that happened, which they wouldn't need to carry out if they already knew the answer. When you have a foreign entity meddle in an election in favor of a particular candidate, and that candidate's campaign had multiple contacts with representatives of that foreign entity, you need to have an investigation.

Or you can just stick the word 'banana' in front of your republic. I'm sure Trump and the GOP would find that a whole lot easier.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 12:32:03 PM »

NyTimes

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/23/us/politics/congress-testimony-john-brennan-russia-budget.html
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 12:36:35 PM »

Thank you!
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 12:53:39 PM »

Yes, but why leak if there is an ongoing investigation? The only "legitimate" reason is that you think that the important information would otherwise be "covered-up" or if it really urgent (for example if Trump was about to sign a new tax law, it would be reasonable to leak his tax-returns if those were somehow conflicting with this law, etc). So why not wait until the investigation is over. Then, if it looks like a cover-up or somehow is corrupt/wrong, leak. Then!

Otherwise, some people might think, that the only reason of leaking is to damage the president Roll Eyes
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 02:18:13 PM »

Yes, but why leak if there is an ongoing investigation? The only "legitimate" reason is that you think that the important information would otherwise be "covered-up" or if it really urgent (for example if Trump was about to sign a new tax law, it would be reasonable to leak his tax-returns if those were somehow conflicting with this law, etc). So why not wait until the investigation is over. Then, if it looks like a cover-up or somehow is corrupt/wrong, leak. Then!

Otherwise, some people might think, that the only reason of leaking is to damage the president Roll Eyes

How is this leaking, or are you referring to earlier incidents? Isn't he free to give an answer as a former CIA director if asked before Congress?
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 03:52:47 PM »

How is this leaking, or are you referring to earlier incidents? Isn't he free to give an answer as a former CIA director if asked before Congress?
I was talking about the investigation in general.

After leaking has occurred, it is resonable that FBI and CIA clarify how the investigation goes on (even if I personally think that they should generally be as laconic as possible until it is done).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies