Why doesn't Trump resonate in New York City?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:29:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why doesn't Trump resonate in New York City?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why doesn't Trump resonate in New York City?  (Read 2087 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2017, 01:02:42 PM »

Yes, I know it is a liberal city, one of the most liberal cities in America, but he was born and raised there. He worked there, still has a home there, and only received 18.4% of the vote citywide. He only resonated in Staten Island and some white conservative pockets in Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx. Why didn't he do well in black areas, even if some of his rhetoric was too charged?

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/numbers/clinton-trump-president-vice-president-every-neighborhood-map-election-results-voting-general-primary-nyc
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 03:23:37 PM »

I don't know how you can obsess over NYC politics so much and still not understand how demographics work.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 03:33:27 PM »

I don't know how you can obsess over NYC politics so much and still not understand how demographics work.

Yes, I know that Hispanic New Yorkers hate him and some black New Yorkers, but I thought Asian New Yorkers would have given him a chance. Asian voters a bit conservative.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 03:36:46 PM »

His immigration stance? There are millions of people there who are not that far removed from their ancestral homelands, have immigrant family members or are immigrants themselves. That honestly could have been enough to turn off different pockets of voters who may have otherwise given him a chance.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 03:56:35 PM »

While Trump is nominally "from" New York City, he's never been a force in NYC or state politics and has been spending most of his time at Mar-A-Lago since he married Melania.

Contrast that with Hillary Clinton, who was heavily involved in the New York City philanthropic/business circles as a Senator and leader in the Clinton Foundation.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 04:03:18 PM »

Also Trump might be a local personality but what has he really done for NYC? He donates jack sh!t to charity, charges high rent on his properties (who doesn't love their local landlords!), and his most notable foray into the city's politics was when he put out a full-page ad calling for the execution of a group of black teenagers that were later exonerated.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 04:04:57 PM »

Because he is the antithesis of everything that is New York culture?
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 10:44:12 PM »

Has nothing to do with where he is from it's what he is and stands for. It's the same reason he did worse then Mitt Romney in California.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 10:10:41 AM »

If it's any consolation, he sure rocked Staten Island.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 11:56:02 AM »

"Why doesn't Jill Stein resonate in Appalacia?"
cvparty
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 12:40:07 PM »

...Asian voters a bit conservative.
eh?
Hydera

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 02:23:40 PM »

Yes, I know that Hispanic New Yorkers hate him and some black New Yorkers, but I thought Asian New Yorkers would have given him a chance. Asian voters a bit conservative.

He got 20-25% in asian precints. That's more conservative compared to black(1-5%) and latino(10-19%) aeas but definitely not conservative.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 03:10:30 PM »

Cause big cities are democratic
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 04:06:51 PM »

Cities are hard to win for an R. Too much acceptance and liberalism.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 11:54:18 PM »

I would not be shocked if Trump did significantly better in NYC in his re-election campaign.

The choice in 2016 was between two (2) New Yorkers, albeit one (Clinton) who moved there after fame in Arkansas and DC.  2020 will be a contest between a New Yorker and a non-New Yorker.  I don't believe Trump will carry NYC, or even NY state, but I think he'll do better next time out.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 01:10:40 AM »

I would not be shocked if Trump did significantly better in NYC in his re-election campaign.

The choice in 2016 was between two (2) New Yorkers, albeit one (Clinton) who moved there after fame in Arkansas and DC.  2020 will be a contest between a New Yorker and a non-New Yorker.  I don't believe Trump will carry NYC, or even NY state, but I think he'll do better next time out.
Spoiler alert: he won't
cvparty
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 06:36:29 AM »

i honestly don't think new yorkers make decisions like this
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 07:59:21 AM »

According to the latest Quinnipiac poll President Trump's approval rating in Brooklyn and Queens has soared to almost 30%!
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 01:38:34 PM »

Because its New York City and the republican candidate was Donald trump. New York city is already super democratic and any republican this year or for any matter since the 1990s would not be able to muster any significant support. There are numerous reasons why NYC is so democratic (Minority-Majority Population, Liberal White Population, Socially liberal) but the reason trump wasn't able to do better then say Mitt Romney in most of NYC was because unlike trump mitt Romney was at least able to appear to a little more moderate (Even though it was mostly false) on the issues which gave him a little extra in the total percentage. Trump did not have a facade of moderation and his divisiveness on some issues and his overall personality turned off a little extra people in NYC for him to under perform even if it was his home city. Now Trump did make gains from Mitt Romney like winning Richmond county decisively but his losses elsewhere were able to overwhelm his gains with the WWC for Clinton to do better then Obama.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2017, 11:08:08 PM »

Republicans always do horribly in big cities. But Trump in particular a lot of people saw him as a fascist-in-waiting. Most Republicans are not seen as having "NYC values" but none of them are considered to be the "antithesis" to that like Trump. That is why he underperformed Romney/McCain/Bush there.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2017, 03:56:17 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2017, 07:33:56 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

The choice in 2016 was between two (2) New Yorkers, albeit one (Clinton) who moved there after fame in Arkansas and DC.  2020 will be a contest between a New Yorker and a non-New Yorker.  I don't believe Trump will carry NYC, or even NY state, but I think he'll do better next time out.
i honestly don't think new yorkers make decisions like this

Only cuz a bunch of "New Yorkers" are actually from from the Midwest who self segregate with their ideological compatriots. Real New Yorkers love him
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2017, 07:10:03 AM »

I'm sure I'd do great in North Dakota if I ever ran for President.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2017, 07:28:50 AM »

NYC is a very liberal city. 

A better question would be why Trump lost Houston (my hometown).
kyc0705

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2017, 01:41:10 PM »

Also, in addition to what everyone else has said, don't forget that Donald Trump has been a running joke among New Yorkers for decades. While large swaths of the country have only come to despise him over the past two years, New York City has hated him since the '70s.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2017, 08:34:16 AM »

Also, in addition to what everyone else has said, don't forget that Donald Trump has been a running joke among New Yorkers for decades. While large swaths of the country have only come to despise him over the past two years, New York City has hated him since the '70s.

Not to mention he treated people that worked under him like dog droppings. That definitely helped spread that hate in NY.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies