1976: Jimmy Carter/George Wallace (D) vs. Gerald Ford/Edward Brooke (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:27:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  1976: Jimmy Carter/George Wallace (D) vs. Gerald Ford/Edward Brooke (R)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1976: Jimmy Carter/George Wallace (D) vs. Gerald Ford/Edward Brooke (R)  (Read 945 times)
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2017, 04:01:07 PM »

Who wins? And how do the parties evolve from there? Keep in mind that the Rev. Jesse Jackson was still pro-life, having endorsed a Constitutional abortion ban and the Hyde Amendment, and having compared abortion to slavery in a 1977 National Right to Life Committee news report.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 04:07:34 PM »

Based on the reading I've done, the degree to which the national Democratic Party "shunned" segregationists was VASTLY overrated (they more just stopped catering to them as a necessity), and they still threw them some bones.  So, I'm not sure this ticket really has much of an effect on where the parties went, honestly.  Also, I'll go with a similar map with some increased margins in the Southern states for the Democrats and maybe the closest Northern states flipping (but that's no guarantee).
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 04:11:37 PM »

Based on the reading I've done, the degree to which the national Democratic Party "shunned" segregationists was VASTLY overrated (they more just stopped catering to them as a necessity), and they still threw them some bones.  So, I'm not sure this ticket really has much of an effect on where the parties went, honestly.  Also, I'll go with a similar map with some increased margins in the Southern states for the Democrats and maybe the closest Northern states flipping (but that's no guarantee).
Interesting, so if Carter wins, who runs in 1980? Reagan/Schweiker? Assuming oil shocks and 1979 hostage takings happen as IRL. Is the migration to the ideological extremes culminating in 2016 merely delayed, not prevented or reversed?
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 04:21:27 PM »

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 08:23:09 PM »