CNN: Hillary Clinton's 'email' problem was bigger than anyone realized
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:00:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  CNN: Hillary Clinton's 'email' problem was bigger than anyone realized
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CNN: Hillary Clinton's 'email' problem was bigger than anyone realized  (Read 2468 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2017, 05:48:32 PM »
« edited: May 23, 2017, 05:53:02 PM by Virginia »

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/23/politics/clinton-email-2016/index.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Clinton's word cloud:

Trump's word cloud:

Here are the word clouds for the last month:

I'm not surprised Cillizza is denying the media over-played this story - he was doom and glooming over every single update, and wrote very extensively on it. I just wish the media would admit they obsess over certain kinds of stories (including Trump), and acknowledge the significant effects their reporting has on the electorate.

I paid a lot of attention to that election, and nothing Trump did ever seemed to have the same impact as Clinton's email stuff. When the Comey letter story broke, Politico's entire front page filled up with stories on it. Every single story was about the emails. That's literally dozens of links. That never happened with anything Trump did, including the AH tape.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 05:50:48 PM »

Good. So people cared.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 05:51:07 PM »

There were two different things going on here. One was her e-mail storage of classified information. The other was the Podesta email leaks, and more of those were released every day close to the election.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 05:54:40 PM »

Would you think the media's unfair non-stop negative coverage of Trump matches up to the way they covered Clinton's email scandal?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 07:03:04 PM »

They made it so.

They wanted their damn horse-race at the cost of everything else.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 07:06:20 PM »

Almost every thread in this forum makes me glad I voted for Gary Johnson.
Libertarian in Name Only
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 10:50:12 PM »

Almost every thread in this forum makes me glad I voted for Gary Johnson.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 01:20:37 AM »

Many people cited her "emails" as a reason not to vote for her, but I heard few elaborations about why exactly they did so. I understand the argument about her mishandled of classified info, could've endangered national security, very stupid and careless. But it was chalked up to, essentially, the fact that she was tech illiterate (older generation), didn't know how email systems worked.

On the Podesta email hack and leaks, what can anybody name specifically from those emails that was damaging in any way? I never saw reporting on the content of the hack, few Americans knew/know what are in them, and tbh idk what's in them but I'd bet they're mostly innocuous behind-the-scenes stuff (what you would expect from the emails of a campaign chairman).
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 08:01:20 AM »

Many people cited her "emails" as a reason not to vote for her, but I heard few elaborations about why exactly they did so. I understand the argument about her mishandled of classified info, could've endangered national security, very stupid and careless. But it was chalked up to, essentially, the fact that she was tech illiterate (older generation), didn't know how email systems worked.

On the Podesta email hack and leaks, what can anybody name specifically from those emails that was damaging in any way? I never saw reporting on the content of the hack, few Americans knew/know what are in them, and tbh idk what's in them but I'd bet they're mostly innocuous behind-the-scenes stuff (what you would expect from the emails of a campaign chairman).

With the Podesta emails, it's not so much what was actually in them (most were fairly harmless), but the Russian/Alt-Right fake news machine made it seem like they were very nefarious, devious, and under-handed. Also, many people just heard the word "emails" and assumed that it was somehow related to the Clinton Email Server issue, which was in fact entirely separate.
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 11:39:54 AM »

Her age and tech illiteracy do not explain her lying multiple times (i.e., the private server was purely for personal emails such as her daily routines and correspondences with friends) or having her staff delete 30,000 e-mails. The scandal was both about national security and her habitual lying and corruption. It simply confirmed what many Americans don't like about her.

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 04:37:36 PM »

lol, the outcome of this election happened because old people suck at technology.  Just let that sink in.

I think the whole last year has made me ageist.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 06:53:31 PM »

If people had cared, they wouldn't have voted for someone with a fascination for dictators.

There was only one major party candidate with any sort of qualifications to actually, ya know, lead.  And she didn't win.  So your point is invalid.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 09:02:56 PM »

If people had cared, they wouldn't have voted for someone with a fascination for dictators.

There was only one major party candidate with any sort of qualifications to actually, ya know, lead.  And she didn't win.  So your point is invalid.
Elected officials are not employees. "Qualifications" are secondary to ideology.

What Trump said during the campaign was what most of us believe.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 08:40:31 AM »

There was only one major party candidate with any sort of qualifications to actually, ya know, lead.  And she didn't win.  So your point is invalid.
Elected officials are not employees. "Qualifications" are secondary to ideology.

What Trump said during the campaign was what most of us believe.

Actually, you're wrong again.

Elected officials are our employees, and "most of us" do NOT believe what Trump said during the campaign.  In fact, about 3 million more of us didn't agree with what he said.  He wasn't elected by the people; he was elected by the system.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 09:45:08 AM »

I heard the perception of her "mishandling classified information" in a way that supposudly was extremely dangerous to national security. I suspect the e-mails had such an impact because the media kept reporting it as if it were this huge scandal for the juicy views, and I guess cable news drama about emails (and the perception of "dishonesty" they gave to voters) stick better to an ambitious senior woman then a storm of random stories about sexual violation, fraud, incompetence, violence, etc to an old sleazebag who talks like a salesman(or a bunch of rabid R+9001 district reps frothing about Benghazi).
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 09:31:06 AM »

As a Republican hack, even I must admit, I was shocked how much people really cared.

Every politician nowadays has "scandals". I guess following politics for 20 years I've become numb to most of them. But remember, I was 10/11 years old during the whole Monica Lewinsky thing and grew up in that politicized age so now I just kinda shrug most of the time.

I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 03:52:19 PM »

I don't believe that people really cared about emails. It was more like a code word for many other things.
uti2

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 04:36:22 PM »

I don't believe that people really cared about emails. It was more like a code word for many other things.

Comey is more to blame for that. Comey tried to politically maneuver around a criminal investigation in an attempt to thwart a Russian propaganda effort that was designed to boost Trump.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/26/politics/james-comey-fbi-investigation-fake-russian-intelligence/
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies