Ohio - a celebration of the Muon2 rules (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:08:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Ohio - a celebration of the Muon2 rules (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ohio - a celebration of the Muon2 rules  (Read 4191 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« on: May 25, 2017, 06:20:48 PM »

What's the black VAP for the Columbus seat? Any VRA concerns about dilution there?

I'm not a huge fan of the NE corner seat or the green one that is around 1 county wide on the Indiana border, but all in all a good map.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 06:57:15 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2017, 06:59:54 PM by Justice TJ »

What's the black VAP for the Columbus seat? Any VRA concerns about dilution there?

I'm not a huge fan of the NE corner seat or the green one that is around 1 county wide on the Indiana border, but all in all a good map.

24.5% BVAP circa the 2010 census. There is not much dilution. The black neighborhoods are mostly in that CD. The VRA is not triggered unless there is a 50% BVAP CD to be had. No way is it in play in Columbus. The Cleveland CD is 41.7% BVAP, which makes it performing as a minority CD, but not by all that much. Thus the lines cannot be cleaned up with the CD that mostly wraps it, without making the Cleveland CD non-performing for a minority. That won't happen. The NE corner CD is only lean Pub anyway.

I know the Columbus seat won't be a Section 2 seat, but the current district is 33% black and elected a black representative, who narrowly won a primary with a high degree of racially polarized voting. I was merely wondering if any problems would be encountered by shifting it such that the candidate of the minority group's choice (Joyce Beatty) would likely lose the primary.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is a good textbook example for whether or not the Trumpian realignment is permanent and/or whether it also carries over down-ballot.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies