Death Penalty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:11:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Death Penalty
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Death Penalty  (Read 28643 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2003, 04:28:28 PM »

no, because we won in the electoral college and that is all that matters and then had both houses of Congress for the first time in 50 years, it was great!  and since then the GOP majorities in the states and federal levels have only expanded.
Your candidate had the second most votes of anyone running for president in 2000.

GORE FOR PRESIDENT 2008
jravnsbo

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2003, 04:49:19 PM »

Sure! Gore in 4!  ( at least int he primary!) Smiley

no, because we won in the electoral college and that is all that matters and then had both houses of Congress for the first time in 50 years, it was great!  and since then the GOP majorities in the states and federal levels have only expanded.
Your candidate had the second most votes of anyone running for president in 2000.

GORE FOR PRESIDENT 2008
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2003, 05:24:20 PM »

Gore in '08 would have a better chance.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2003, 05:35:17 PM »

which ones, what?  states or aggravating factors?

states
jravnsbo

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2003, 05:38:02 PM »

I guess there are 38 states with it.

check out this link for further info as you desire.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?did=121&scid=11#with

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2003, 06:48:27 PM »

New York has the death penalty but has never executed anyone.  I believe Texas has executed over 300 people since they reinstated the death penalty.  Many states have the death penalty but never put it into effect.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2003, 08:31:58 PM »

Connecticut also has the death penalty but has not used it since 1960.  I think New York last used it around that time.

I support the death penalty because I believe in the saying that "mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent."  There are some people who deserve no better than death.

But I think it has to be used very carefully.

I would probably be happy with if killers were given a true life sentence with no possibility of parole.  But we can't trust liberal states like New York to keep these people behind bars.

It makes my blood boil that NY state released Kathy Boudin, who participated in the 1981 Brinks robbery in which several policemen were killed.  She did only 22 years for those murders, while the families of those killed are effectively serving a life sentence.  She should never have been released.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2003, 09:02:16 PM »

Connecticut also has the death penalty but has not used it since 1960.  I think New York last used it around that time.

I support the death penalty because I believe in the saying that "mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent."  There are some people who deserve no better than death.

I would probably be happy with if killers were given a true life sentence with no possibility of parole.  But we can't trust liberal states like New York to keep these people behind bars.

It makes my blood boil that NY state released Kathy Boudin, who participated in the 1981 Brinks robbery in which several policemen were killed.  She did only 22 years for those murders, while the families of those killed are effectively serving a life sentence.  She should never have been released.
Neither way is perfect.  But execting the innocent is the worst thing you can possibly do.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2004, 01:00:00 PM »

I am personally opposed to the death penalty, but many who live around me are not.

Well, here's the kicker:
To house a criminal for 30 years, it costs about $800,000.
To execute a criminal, including all appeals, etc., it costs about $2,000,000.

We can debate the morality of the death penalty all day, but the numbers do not lie.
The death penalty costs much more money, and when every state is in money trouble, it is too expensive.
good point.  Most people think that housing a criminal is more expensive, but that is not the case.
jravnsbo

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2004, 03:06:30 PM »

very odd-- cop killers should never get out.

jravnsbo

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2004, 03:09:10 PM »

but what is a human life worth to you?

I keep pointing to the TX case where the thugs got life and then escaped and went ont he killing spree.  Plus how about the killer in Massachusets that killed the priest that was a child molester.  He killed and nothing will happen to him further, maybe it wasn't mass, was a non death penalty state.

Not for child molesters at all, but example iof a killer with life able to kill and no punishment, what is his deterent?

I am personally opposed to the death penalty, but many who live around me are not.

Well, here's the kicker:

We can debate the morality of the death penalty all day, but the numbers do not lie.
The death penalty costs much more money, and when every state is in money trouble, it is too expensive.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2004, 03:11:16 PM »

I keep pointing to the TX case where the thugs got life and then escaped and went ont he killing spree.  Plus how about the killer in Massachusets that killed the priest that was a child molester.  He killed and nothing will happen to him further, maybe it wasn't mass, was a non death penalty state.

Not for child molesters at all, but example iof a killer with life able to kill and no punishment, what is his deterent?

Well, here's the kicker:

How is the life sentence not punishment?
jravnsbo

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2004, 03:15:22 PM »

It is a punsihment but I was giving 2 quick examples of how life sentence does not stopa  killer from killing again unlike the death sentence, which stops killers from killing again.  

Well, here's the kicker:

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2004, 03:16:49 PM »

It is a punsihment but I was giving 2 quick examples of how life sentence does not stopa  killer from killing again unlike the death sentence, which stops killers from killing again.  

Well, here's the kicker:

And I'm sure there are 2 cases where an innocent person was given the death penalty.
jravnsbo

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2004, 03:24:01 PM »

prove it outside of a liberal source.

Well, here's the kicker:

And I'm sure there are 2 cases where an innocent person was given the death penalty.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2004, 03:28:51 PM »

http://www.justicedenied.org/executed.htm
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2004, 03:50:14 PM »

prove it outside of a liberal source.

Well, here's the kicker:

I remember that DNA-tecnhology made it possible to determine that someone who was executed something like 30 years ago was innocent. I don't remember the name of the case, but I recall wwatching it on the news a few years ago.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2004, 03:54:27 PM »

very odd-- cop killers should never get out.

When you're dealing with liberal judges, liberal parole boards and liberal juries, all sorts of outrageous things are possible.
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2004, 07:43:28 PM »

Well, here's the kicker:

Why does it cost so much though? There doesn't seem reason enough to justify such costs. Some countries execute their convicted killers right away after being taken out of the courtroom. Let's do that? What? The price of a few High Powered Rifles and bullets. Done.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2004, 10:57:44 PM »

Well, here's the kicker:

Why does it cost so much though? There doesn't seem reason enough to justify such costs. Some countries execute their convicted killers right away after being taken out of the courtroom. Let's do that? What? The price of a few High Powered Rifles and bullets. Done.
You want to shoot the convicted criminals?
jravnsbo

« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2004, 11:07:22 PM »

Utah still has the firing squad as a form of the death penalty.

They even executed the first person in the US after the SCT reversed itself.  So some joked I remember that the death penalty came back witha  BANG!

Well, here's the kicker:

You want to shoot the convicted criminals?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2004, 11:40:50 AM »
« Edited: January 02, 2004, 11:42:40 AM by Nym90 »

Ah, but Christopher, bullets were deemed too expensive as a way of execution in Germany 60 years ago, and thus they used gas chambers instead. Gas chambers are clearly the most efficient and least expensive way to kill people. So really, we ought to use those instead, right?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2004, 12:19:53 PM »

Ah, but Christopher, bullets were deemed too expensive as a way of execution in Germany 60 years ago, and thus they used gas chambers instead. Gas chambers are clearly the most efficient and least expensive way to kill people. So really, we ought to use those instead, right?
Why not the Chinese way? You charge the executed person's family for the cost of the bullet.
jravnsbo

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2004, 12:53:10 PM »

oh that chinese way would be doubling insulting!  ouch, sting
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2004, 12:53:13 PM »

Why not the Chinese way? You charge the executed person's family for the cost of the bullet.
Yeah, that makes  alot of sense.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies