Why would Kushner want secret communication channel w/Russians?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:47:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why would Kushner want secret communication channel w/Russians?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why would Kushner want secret communication channel w/Russians?  (Read 1543 times)
catographer
Megameow
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2017, 11:16:09 PM »

Is there any innocuous reason that the President's son-in-law would want a secret, back-door line of communication with the Russian government?

If he wanted to discuss foreign policy, he should go through official, non-secretive channels. If he wants to do something that he doesn't want Obama's administration or others to know about, he does it the secret way. What the hell was Kushner thinking? NYT says the purpose was to have Flynn talk security issues with Russians behind the CIA's backs. WashPo doesn't give a purpose, but implies that they're hiding something.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 11:25:29 PM »

*cough* dirty money an they probably were in on the hacking *cough*
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 11:28:38 PM »

Because he's a moron who overpaid for Manhattan real estate and needs bailing out (not a conspiracy theory)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 09:36:17 AM »

NYT says the purpose was to have Flynn talk security issues with Russians behind the CIA's backs.

That is commonly believed to be the favorable spin that Javanka have leaked to the press. More likely it's about trading influence in government for bail-out $.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 09:38:35 AM »

NYT says the purpose was to have Flynn talk security issues with Russians behind the CIA's backs.

That is commonly believed to be the favorable spin that Javanka have leaked to the press. More likely it's about trading influence in government for bail-out $.

Yeah, the most likely motive is for personal pecuniary gain. Call me cynical. Team Trump has driven me to that very bad place. Sad!
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 09:50:19 AM »

Yeah, the most likely motive is for personal pecuniary gain. Call me cynical. Team Trump has driven me to that very bad place. Sad!

This all feels like a lesson in why nepotism is prohibited. It's not just that someone can make money or get a job they're not qualified for through family connections, since people can do that as friends. Because Trump can't distance himself from his daughter's husband, he's made this particular problem so much worse for himself by clumsily intervening and firing Comey to try and make it go away.
Angrie

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 10:21:09 AM »

For espionage against the United States.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 03:26:51 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2017, 03:32:59 PM by I Won - Get Over It »

According to NyT there were 3 persons who described it like that. Either NyT really sucks at journalistic (publishing story with '3 persons', while not being able to get "independent" sources) or they are right.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 03:31:07 PM »

Because Trump asked him to.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 03:39:37 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2017, 03:44:09 PM by We're never gonna have it so good! »

Either he needed money for his business interests (sinister) or he needed a back channel to avoid the moles and leakers in the transition (more likely, but I'm suspicious).

Personally, I think Kushner took Russian loans to keep his own failing business interests afloat in exchange for steering unwitting Trump aides into the Russian orbit. Everyone who was in the Trump universe but now sit on the outside (Stone, Christie, etc) absolutely hate this man.

Another possibility is that he didn't do anything illegal at all aside from taking favorable loans and failing to disclose them, and that the Russians are publicizing this to sow chaos. Or maybe he did some financial funny business and the FBI is holding it over his head to get him to cooperate. We really don't know, and if the FBI clears Trump, they won't even tell us.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 04:12:02 PM »

Because he can?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 04:30:39 PM »

it's none of our business what kushner wants in his back-channel
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 04:31:30 PM »

it's none of our business what kushner wants in his back-channel

Don't ask, don't tell?
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 05:15:58 PM »

AP's source confirms NyT:s story

https://www.apnews.com/45879ff0270442b59d6cf597506c14d3
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Javanka, you can fool media, but you can't fool Atlas!! Roll Eyes

The problem with the media/leaking is that the leaking lacks its context. This time we've got lucky, but often we haven't and we probably won't.

Ironically, 'bad stupid unfair cheating' wikileaks always gives the context. They dump the whole chain/all the emails so everyone can see/check the whole conversation (context).
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 05:24:26 PM »

With two news outlets (AP and NYT) saying this was for Syrian negotiating purposes, it looks less criminal but still very stupid. I can believe this based on Trump's desire to cooperate with Russia on Syria as evidenced in his leaked conversation in the Oval Office. That said, why would U.S. intelligence agencies object to Russia and the United States working together in Syria? Why would that not be conducted through official channels?

However, that doesn't necessarily mean Kushner didn't later use Gorkov as a way to refinance his properties, and it doesn't obviate the allegation that Kislyak introduced Gorkov to Kushner, which raises more ethical questions. It doesn't also explain the fact Kushner left off the other conversations with the ambassador between April and December 2016.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 05:28:07 PM »

With two news outlets (AP and NYT) saying this was for Syrian negotiating purposes, it looks less criminal but still very stupid. I can believe this based on Trump's desire to cooperate with Russia on Syria as evidenced in his leaked conversation in the Oval Office. That said, why would U.S. intelligence agencies object to Russia and the United States working together in Syria? Why would that not be conducted through official channels?

However, that doesn't necessarily mean Kushner didn't later use Gorkov as a way to refinance his properties, and it doesn't obviate the allegation that Kislyak introduced Gorkov to Kushner, which raises more ethical questions. It doesn't also explain the fact Kushner left off the other conversations with the ambassador between April and December 2016.

There's gotta be money involved. The fact that the FBI isn't commenting (they usually leak stuff if they've got nothing, as we've seen throughout Trump's presidency) says to me they're serious about something this time.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 05:29:08 PM »

The problem with the media/leaking is that the leaking lacks its context. This time we've got lucky, but often we haven't and we probably won't.

Ironically, 'bad stupid unfair cheating' wikileaks always gives the context. They dump the whole chain/all the emails so everyone can see/check the whole conversation (context).

What percentage of negative Trump stories / scandals do you think only look bad but would then be reasonable and OK with context?
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 05:33:16 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2017, 05:35:47 PM by I Won - Get Over It »

There's gotta be money involved. The fact that the FBI isn't commenting (they usually leak stuff if they've got nothing, as we've seen throughout Trump's presidency) says to me they're serious about something this time.
Are anti-semit of something?

Kushner looks too smart to risk everything because of 'Russian money'. If he needed money it'd be waaay easier to milk Gulf states.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2017, 05:34:18 PM »

Okay question so Flynn is with Jared an according to WH he(Jared) was part of the transition team, was he not aware of Obama an Yates warning?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 05:34:41 PM »

Are anti-semit of something?

Kushner is too smart to risk everything because of 'Russian money'. If he needed money it'd be waaay easier to milk Gulf states.

Kushner is an idiot
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 05:37:28 PM »

I honestly can see that being the case. If money is involved and Kushner did something stupid like he met with Gorkov (who's bank is under state sanctions) and promised to ease sanctions in return for refinancing that would be a real scandal that would be a crime. Remember, the meeting happened the same month as the secret proposed channel.

Kushner is 36 and I legitimately don't think he thought out his actions at all here. The multiple contacts he had with the ambassador proved that, IMO.

The FBI leaking when they have nothing is interesting, I need to think about that.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2017, 05:40:05 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2017, 05:41:38 PM by Brittain33 »

According to NyT there were 3 persons who described it like that. Either NyT really sucks at journalistic (publishing story with '3 persons', while not being able to get "independent" sources) or they are right.

Is it hard to imagine 3 people leaking favorably on behalf of Jared and Ivanka, though? Some stories about the White House have been sourced to up to 30 people.

Who believes that Kushner cared about Syria in December?
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2017, 06:09:31 PM »

What percentage of negative Trump stories / scandals do you think only look bad but would then be reasonable and OK with context?
Whole Russia-thing Roll Eyes

My theory, simplified:
1) Trump really wants to 'get along with Russia'. He just really thinks they are a valuable partner to fight ISIS, China, Iran or whatever. He likely was that way before hacking.
2) He don't mind Russia "hacking Hillary". Oh no, he likely loved it and looked at it as a (weird, but normal on language Trump speaks) act of peace from Putin/Russia. Like many GOPer:s on local level were happy with Russia hacking DNC (there are a several threads about it).

These two thing (sort of) explains everything.

I'm totally fine with 1), while I find 2) is little bit worrisome, but since Hillary/Jeb/Rubio are f**king neocons, I'm fine with that as well.

Even if Russia did'd do anything at all, 'get along'-thing would probably happen, but may be more openly.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2017, 06:14:42 PM »

Who believes that Kushner cared about Syria in December?

I don't know, but Trump's trip to ME looks like Kushner's "baby". Kushner also went to Iraq and generally seems/is described as "shadow" secretary of state.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2017, 06:16:09 PM »

I honestly can see that being the case. If money is involved and Kushner did something stupid like he met with Gorkov (who's bank is under state sanctions) and promised to ease sanctions in return for refinancing that would be a real scandal that would be a crime. Remember, the meeting happened the same month as the secret proposed channel.

Kushner is 36 and I legitimately don't think he thought out his actions at all here. The multiple contacts he had with the ambassador proved that, IMO.

The FBI leaking when they have nothing is interesting, I need to think about that.

?!?!?!

So now we don't expect a 36 year old with a wife and children to have personal responsibility and self-agency? There is no excuse for being naïve at that age, especially when you have as much money as they do.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies