CNN: 7th-grader gets 'Most Likely to Become a Terrorist' Award
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:27:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CNN: 7th-grader gets 'Most Likely to Become a Terrorist' Award
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: CNN: 7th-grader gets 'Most Likely to Become a Terrorist' Award  (Read 2294 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2017, 11:50:36 PM »

What the actual HECK? Holy mother of Elmo. Some more details and the link below:

"No, your eyes are not deceiving you. These are real certificates that were typed up and presented to 7th graders at Lance Cpl. Anthony Aguirre Junior High School in Houston.
"MOST LIKELY TO BECOME A TERRORIST," one reads, inside a border of cheerful stars. Another, given to a student in the same class, reads "MOST LIKELY TO BLEND IN WITH WHITE PEOPLE."

Link: http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/26/us/terrorist-award-junior-high-school-backlash-trnd/index.html?sr=fbCNN052617terrorist-award-junior-high-school-backlash-trnd0330PMVODtopLink&linkId=38044029
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 12:01:30 AM »

I mean, I get that these awards are supposed to be jokes, but can we agree that this is taking it just a bit too far? Especially since these are 7th graders we're talking about, not adults.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 01:30:54 AM »

Yes, I saw this story on the TV news today.
Very strange in today's world and time.
I don't understand how a teacher(s) cant think this completely through, and realize that it would be a horrible idea to do this.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 01:33:17 AM »

>Texas
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 03:27:52 AM »

and it wasn't even a white guy? tch
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 06:36:34 AM »

This absolutely disgusts me. I could see mean-hearted middle-schoolers doing this to a fellow student (that wouldn't make it okay but it would make sense), but a teacher? Who laughed about it while handing it out? I cannot understand how a grown adult could act like this and think it was okay. I do hope they fire the teacher(s) responsible, because they obviously lack the necessary maturity.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 09:37:34 AM »

I mean, I get that these awards are supposed to be jokes, but can we agree that this is taking it just a bit too far? Especially since these are 7th graders we're talking about, not adults.
agreed.  Strange that they all thought this was a good idea.  Very strange.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 09:58:33 AM »

So one teacher typed up some stupid certificates and now it's national news story?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 10:40:59 AM »

So one teacher typed up some stupid certificates and now it's national news story?

Because they told a 13 year old honors student that she seemed most likely to become a terrorist and laughed at her while they gave it to her? And now she's too mortified to go to school?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 11:33:26 AM »

Because they told a 13 year old honors student that she seemed most likely to become a terrorist and laughed at her while they gave it to her? And now she's too mortified to go to school?

Oh don't get me wrong, the teacher's a clueless, deplorable idiot, but why is this a national news story?
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 02:35:53 PM »

Wow.

When I was in high school and doing Model UN, we made superlatives at the end of every conference as a tradition. Those superlatives range from the funny to the inane, but at least people had the sense not to do "Is most likely to become a terrorist" as a superlative. Doing so would likely get us in hot water. Remember, these are high schoolers making superlatives, and most know not to do that.

So the fact that a middle school teacher - someone who 1. is supposed to be more mature than high school students and 2. is supposed to make an example - did that is just shameful.

That said:

What the actual HECK? Holy mother of Elmo...

Paging KingSweden...
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 03:55:06 PM »

I don't know why CNN puts up these absurd stories. The mainstream media floods people's minds with stories about ethnicity and offense, and then wonder why they're hated, or why people become racists. The more someone thinks about race, the more likely they are to become a racist. Personally, I can this was obviously just a joke, but what isn't a joke is a corporate behemoth ruining this Lance Corporal's life.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 04:01:01 PM »

I don't know why CNN puts up these absurd stories. The mainstream media floods people's minds with stories about ethnicity and offense, and then wonder why they're hated, or why people become racists. The more someone thinks about race, the more likely they are to become a racist. Personally, I can this was obviously just a joke, but what isn't a joke is a corporate behemoth ruining this Lance Corporal's life.

Wow, you've sounded like a blue avatar (who I'm not going to name) who thinks "it's a joke = it's fiiine"

What's a joke to you is clearly not a joke to the student. Sure, we can debate on whether CNN should report this, but the teacher who did this could and should face consequences.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 04:03:32 PM »

Wow, you've sounded like a blue avatar (who I'm not going to name) who thinks "it's a joke = it's fiiine"

What's a joke to you is clearly not a joke to the student. Sure, we can debate on whether CNN should report this, but the teacher who did this could and should face consequences.

It says the student initially wanted everyone to drop it. She wasn't offended, other people were offended on her behalf.

And no, the teacher shouldn't "face consequences", although that cat is already out of the bag. It's going to completely ruin his life, whereas if no one made a big deal out of it, it would have almost certainly had a negligible impact on the student's life.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 04:22:00 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2017, 02:34:44 PM by NJ is Better than TX »

It says the student initially wanted everyone to drop it. She wasn't offended, other people were offended on her behalf.

Okay? First of all, the student who wanted everyone to "drop it" was the girl who got "Most likely to blend in with white people," not the terrorist award. The girl who did get the terrorist award said she was not comfortable with receiving it, nor being in the same room as the teacher.

But for the sake of argument, let's focus on the first girl. Why would she want everyone to "drop it?" Answer: Because she was embarrassed and likely didn't feel comfortable with making a big scene; it's a common feeling 7th-graders have. That does not mean she is actually okay with the award, nor does it give the teacher free pass to distribute this award.

Honestly, this argument smacks of the "It's not rape if they enjoyed it!" argument.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, the teacher should have been fired for making these awards, just like anyone should be fired for practicing workplace discrimination. Doubly so since the teacher has apparently did racially insensitive actions before (i.e. the "black quiz").

And how are you certain these "awards" would have no impact on the students' lives? These are impressionable middle schoolers we are talking about. These students are at the age when they begin to form their adult identities, when they form new social norms, etc. These "awards" will be a pretty defining feature of these students lives. Perhaps it will become their go-to answer to the question "What's the worst racist experience you had in your life?"
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 04:54:46 PM »

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/education/2017/05/25/texas-7th-grader-named-likely-become-terrorist-mock-school-awards

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 05:21:39 PM »

Yuck. For some reason that last one to me is even more disgusting than the terrorist "joke" which is more standard "banter" that would have been vetoed of the teacher had a brain. Just the various creepy implications of her being credited for "blending in" really unnerves me, and I can't entrely explain why.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 09:17:20 PM »

WHO THE HELL THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?!?!?!?!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2017, 09:18:08 PM »

WHO THE HELL THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?!?!?!?!

An ISIS recruiter?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 10:33:51 PM »

This teacher ought to be fired and never hired by anyone again because this is the first thing that pops up when her name is googled/searched.
Jeffster
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 11:53:18 PM »

Apparently she was a former teacher of the year.

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2017, 12:02:57 AM »

The vicious attacks on this human being disgust me. And people are surprised when a man can assault someone else and still get elected to Congress. Human life has been reduced to worthless garbage in this country.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2017, 12:05:34 AM »

This teacher ought to be fired and never hired by anyone again because this is the first thing that pops up when her name is googled/searched.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2017, 07:01:08 AM »

oh no, she is a minority.  Story is dead now.  What's next on the recreational outrage menu?  Oh Trump rode a golf cart!
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2017, 07:17:44 AM »

It is what probably 99% of 'crazy left' thinks of Ben Carson.

The teacher is actually fun. She likely was trying to troll the identity politics attitudes. She trolled both "right" (muslims-are-terrorists argument) and "left" (uncle Tom argument, sometimes indirect like minority will vote for Democrats. Muh demography!).

The joke though was misplaced and ill-tasted, but it was not of national interest's amplitude.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies