Hillary Clinton after the election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:52:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hillary Clinton after the election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hillary Clinton after the election  (Read 1009 times)
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2017, 09:44:16 AM »

This is an excellent interview/article from New York Magazine.

I remember there was a thread discussing things from the book "Shattered." There's a bit I like addressing that.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And then Hillary herself sums up my feelings about the election, my emphasis added:

On the election itself, and how both sides expected it to go the other way:

All of the above is really just part of the introduction, of which there are even more parts I would love to quote, particularly where they address Trump's inaugural address. She also touches on some current events, as this was written write after Comey was fired. There's also some of people's responses to her after the election -- how some people didn't vote and then turned to  her for forgiveness if they saw her, for example.

But the majority of the article digs into the sexism issue, which has been discussed here, but not to any particular depth. The reflections on her behavior at the debates as well as why she comes off as "unauthentic," especially compared to Trump and Sanders, gets at the heart of the issue, in my opinion.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 11:52:21 AM »

The Trump campaign conspired with Vladmir Putin to seal the election away from Clinton or Bernie Sanders.

If Sanders would have caught fire and came out firing against Hillary earlier in the campaign, perhaps he would have sealed election victory from the jaws of defeat.

Having said that, Hillary onward movement will help Dems recapture the House in 2018 and the Senate and Prez in 2020.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 12:32:46 PM »

I've liked Rebecca Traister's writing on women in politics ever since 2010's Big Girls Don't Cry, and every year it seems she confirms that opinion. In this article, what really surprised me is how she is still surprised by the reaction she receives from the news media to things like her bringing up Comey. I just want her to not care, and let rip. I think we all do.

Ah yes, this is me. This was me on Thursday night. This is so me.

Hillary has been through more than any candidate in the 20th century, and there will never be another like her.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 12:39:42 PM »

She was a crappy, unrelatable candidate, and that's what she has to blame it on. Had she retained even a fraction of her (debatable) 1992 charm, she'd have won.

That said, Trump was a really terrible candidate too. Hillary Clinton in reality should never have really won, considering the three term itch, Obama's unpopularity until Trump and Clinton made him look good by comparison, and Clinton's bad campaigning skills. I think she'd have beat Jeb! and lyin' Ted, but that's it among the frontrunners.

Ironically, Hillary Clinton's dramatic loss in 2016 may have laid the groundwork for a Democratic resurgence in the 2020s, starting with equalizing the next round of redistricting by gains in 2018 and 2020. Had she won, Democrats could have found themselves in a worse position than they were in 2010. Now, granted, there are a lot of caveats - the damage Trump is doing to our reputation, institutions, and limited regulatory/legislative success, and the Supreme Court, but I think in the end things will work out and America will see a correction.

Or, you know, I hope so Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 01:48:43 PM »

I don't care about everything else, but this is utterly delusional.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 02:27:01 PM »

Every thing Hillary has done and said since election night has made me more and more certain that she doesn't actually have any political intuition or talent, and in fact might not even be that smart.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 02:33:38 PM »

Every thing Hillary has done and said since election night has made me more and more certain that she doesn't actually have any political intuition or talent, and in fact might not even be that smart.
But the Clinton's are political masters! Look at the Democratic sweep of 1994.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 06:46:03 PM »

I don't care about everything else, but this is utterly delusional.

Really?

It certainly was a huge issue here in Wisconsin. I don't have the links easily on hand, but I can happily provide the information that shows that Wisconsin's vote was greatly suppressed. The areas that suffered most are minority and larger city areas. Those areas lean in a very particular way when it comes to the vote here in WI.

I'll leave the Russians out of it, as that's still being investigated. In regards to Comey, poll data shows that it's not an incorrect statement. The 538 summary neatly explains that if the data itself isn't obvious. In addition, both campaigns saw things as tight but leaning in Hillary's direction.

Ironically, Hillary Clinton's dramatic loss in 2016 may have laid the groundwork for a Democratic resurgence in the 2020s, starting with equalizing the next round of redistricting by gains in 2018 and 2020. Had she won, Democrats could have found themselves in a worse position than they were in 2010.

Agreed. It's interesting how, even though it may really be difficult in the short-term, this result may end up being the best for the Democrats in the long-run.

I've liked Rebecca Traister's writing on women in politics ever since 2010's Big Girls Don't Cry, and every year it seems she confirms that opinion.

Thanks for that. I'll have to check out her other writing! I appreciate that.
hueylong
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 10:52:29 PM »

If minority turnout at '08/'12 levels had materialized for Hillary, she would have won both MI and WI but she still would have lost PA and therefore the final outcome would have been unchanged. Nate Silver's argument is interesting and he seems pretty confident in it, but it may not give a complete picture either: As Nate Cohn has pointed out, you can look at polls conducted before Comey's decision and see that Hillary's lead was already slipping in the weeks leading up to the election, which frankly makes sense considering the outrage from the Access Hollywood tape simply wasn't going to be sustained for an entire month (leaked on October 7).
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 03:53:04 AM »

you can look at polls conducted before Comey's decision and see that Hillary's lead was already slipping in the weeks leading up to the election
Yes, but already slipping does not mean that they would continue to slip - that's the typically faulty "momentum" logic. Before Comey, there was no meaningful momentum for Trump other that Pussygate slowly vanishing from media coverage.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 04:05:27 AM »

I'm an even bigger fan of Hillary's now than I was before Election Day.

She is the people's president by about 3 million more votes, and she is still speaking on behalf of us.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 04:09:41 AM »
« Edited: May 28, 2017, 04:14:01 AM by Shameless Bernie Hack »

She seems intelligent (after all, she built a serious legal career in her early life before Bill was anything) but a lot of her information sources nowadays appear to be what staffers tell her. And definitely negatori on the political sense - even her strongest defenders (the sane ones, anyway) think of her as more of a wonk than a pol.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 04:50:36 AM »

Ironically, Hillary Clinton's dramatic loss in 2016 may have laid the groundwork for a Democratic resurgence in the 2020s, starting with equalizing the next round of redistricting by gains in 2018 and 2020. Had she won, Democrats could have found themselves in a worse position than they were in 2010.

Agreed. It's interesting how, even though it may really be difficult in the short-term, this result may end up being the best for the Democrats in the long-run.

This tends to be the case when you have two very unpopular candidates.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 05:29:29 AM »

She visited her old college the other day and looked as miserable as eff. She did manage to crack a few half-decent jokes though.
hueylong
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 07:07:21 AM »

you can look at polls conducted before Comey's decision and see that Hillary's lead was already slipping in the weeks leading up to the election
Yes, but already slipping does not mean that they would continue to slip - that's the typically faulty "momentum" logic. Before Comey, there was no meaningful momentum for Trump other that Pussygate slowly vanishing from media coverage.

Fair. It is plain to see that Comey's decision did in fact hurt Hillary's chances, I just think the true effect was a bit exaggerated/obscured by polls conducted prior to and released after his decision.

Like Hillary mentioned in the article, fascinating to explore the search trends. The amount of people searching terms like 'wikileaks' and 'hillary wikileaks' was highest in mid to late October. Interest seems to peak before October 28th and actually tapers off by the time Comey sends the letter.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2017, 07:17:44 AM »

Ironically, Hillary Clinton's dramatic loss in 2016 may have laid the groundwork for a Democratic resurgence in the 2020s, starting with equalizing the next round of redistricting by gains in 2018 and 2020. Had she won, Democrats could have found themselves in a worse position than they were in 2010. Now, granted, there are a lot of caveats - the damage Trump is doing to our reputation, institutions, and limited regulatory/legislative success, and the Supreme Court, but I think in the end things will work out and America will see a correction.

Or, you know, I hope so Tongue
For your party's sake, it better be true.  If you guys somehow don't rally huge in 18 and 20, then you suck and we need two new parties.

First step would be to get past Hillary, but many of you seem to be stumbling coming out of the blocks.  Not a good sign.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies