Axios: Trump intends to leave Paris climate accord
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:52:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Axios: Trump intends to leave Paris climate accord
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Axios: Trump intends to leave Paris climate accord  (Read 9404 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2017, 06:24:58 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Disappointing but not surprising.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 06:28:19 PM »

Because he is stupid
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 06:30:55 PM »

I wonder if individual states will try and participate in the accord somehow. I think it'd be in our best interests to not 100% leave the accord, and at least try to contribute a little bit.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 06:32:33 PM »

I wonder if individual states will try and participate in the accord somehow. I think it'd be in our best interests to not 100% leave the accord, and at least try to contribute a little bit.

That would be interesting to see. I know certain states are already doing what they can, while others are practically going the other direction. Would there be a way for states individually to be aware of what benchmarks they need to hit? I'm a bit oblivious on what the actual requirements of the Paris Accord are/were.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 06:35:21 PM »

Climate change is real and needs to be dealt with either now or later. I guess we'll settle for later. Sad
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 06:36:18 PM »

This isn't shocking. His political and donor coalition want to pull out and Trump doesn't have political upside in remaining in the treaty. Any voter who would vote on this issue is already solidly against him no matter what. That's how he looks at it.

If he had a shot in winning California he wouldn't do this. He doesn't, so here we are.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 06:57:29 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2017, 07:00:39 PM by krazen1211 »

Hahaha, no. States cannot form Treaties, Alliances, or Confederations with foreign countries.

This would be a major win for the Trump administration!

This entire climate change hoax is of course designed so white liberals could assault the public treasury and drain it into their own coffers. Too bad about the election.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 07:02:43 PM »

Hahaha, no. States cannot form Treaties, Alliances, or Confederations with foreign countries.

This would be a major win for the Trump administration!

This entire climate change hoax is of course designed so white liberals could assault the public treasury and drain it into their own coffers. Too bad about the election.

Nothing prohibits individual states and localities from passing statutes and regulations that require local areas and states to have emission standards and laws that match what's called for in the Paris Accords.

Now, I realize you're a troll but you should of course remember that Tenth Amendment.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 08:27:22 PM »

This thread is already terrible and belongs on the worst posts  of modern Atlas thread on AAD. Garbage.

Your previous comment is the worst one in it.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 08:45:32 PM »

This thread is already terrible and belongs on the worst posts  of modern Atlas thread on AAD. Garbage.

Your previous comment is the worst one in it.
Take a step back, my dude. Don't talk about things you couldn't possibly understand.

This country is ready for progressive politics.

Yes, may be if Greg Gianforte had murdered a couple people, your guy might've had a chance.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 09:18:40 PM »

There's a 4 year waiting period, so he can't leave unless Democrats blow another election.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 09:43:05 PM »

There's a 4 year waiting period, so he can't leave unless Democrats blow another election.

Even if he can't technically "leave" for a while, he can definitely compel congress to change US law to purposely break the rules.

As I've said before, I'm fine with Trump leaving the agreement, but Climate Change is real and we need to come to some sort of solution regarding it, although we should not pursue policies that would effectively leave workers in the fossil fuel industry to die in the streets.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 10:30:43 PM »

Trump is altering the deal! Pray he does not alter it any further.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 09:54:00 AM »

Even if he can't technically "leave" for a while, he can definitely compel congress to change US law to purposely break the rules.

As I've said before, I'm fine with Trump leaving the agreement, but Climate Change is real and we need to come to some sort of solution regarding it, although we should not pursue policies that would effectively leave workers in the fossil fuel industry to die in the streets.

What a moderate Smiley
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 10:21:49 AM »

There's no time for this right now.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2017, 11:24:08 AM »
« Edited: May 28, 2017, 11:30:48 AM by jphp »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I may be very "leftist," but I've also always been a fan of the states having some amount of agency and making use of what power they do have. This has nothing to do with this administration.

The thing I don't understand is why we have to necessarily combine environmental reform with climate change. While we may not all agree on climate change, Mr. Trump himself spoke of the importance of clean air and clean water. Of course, that was more just to get people on his side, but it was something he addressed.

Conservation is, at its heart, a very Republican idea, as conservation protects resources for future use, as industrial and financial growth requires resources (see quotes from Mr. T. Roosevelt on that issue). So even if you don't want to do these things for climate change reasons, why not do them to protect what we've got, resource-wise? It feels like being contrary for contrariness's sake.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 11:55:04 AM »

Not surprising, but still willfully idiotic.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2017, 02:13:06 PM »

I hope he decides to stay in.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2017, 02:31:39 PM »

You're going to have to start voting Democratic if this issue is important to you. The rest of the Republican candidates would have done this on January 21.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2017, 02:33:08 PM »

You're going to have to start voting Democratic if this issue is important to you. The rest of the Republican candidates would have done this on January 21.
It's important, but I wouldn't start voting Democrat because of it.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2017, 10:06:21 AM »

Yeah, I don't want to see any fiscally conservative socially liberal #NeverTrump (former) Republicans expressing their dismay over this. It's not as if Jeb!, Rubio, Walker or Cruz wouldn't have left the agreement.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2017, 10:06:33 AM »

Shocking but not surprising. I have expected this ever since election day. In the best case, these are four lost years for the US on climate change. And we're on track of losing the contest for being the world's leading green superpower of the 21st century. Only CA is doing a great job. Germany and China will really beat us. Sad!
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2017, 05:30:49 PM »

Meh. While Trump certainly might leave the Paris Accord, what he'll actually do depends far more on who yanks which string right before the announcement.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2017, 06:47:42 PM »

That would be interesting to see. I know certain states are already doing what they can, while others are practically going the other direction. Would there be a way for states individually to be aware of what benchmarks they need to hit? I'm a bit oblivious on what the actual requirements of the Paris Accord are/were.

It's refreshing to see the left embrace federalism. Probably the best accidental result of this administration to date.

It's hardly refreshing. Whichever party is not in power in Washington discovers the virtues of federalism until they are again the party of power.  True federalists are few and far between. (Not to be confused with true libertarians who want limited power in Washington because they want all levels of government to be limited and unable to do much of anything.)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2017, 07:30:00 PM »

I'm more of a pragmatist re: federalism. I think we should try to use it as much as possible since it exists.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies