Philosophies that are almost like religions? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:10:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Philosophies that are almost like religions? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Philosophies that are almost like religions?  (Read 4735 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« on: May 30, 2017, 11:29:58 AM »

Confucianism is the canonical example. I should state for the sake of honesty that there are schools of Buddhism that could fit this description as well, although the mainstream of that worldview, especially on a global scale, is absolutely a religion and it's foolish and ethnocentric to think otherwise.

Ooh, well-played.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 08:29:58 AM »
« Edited: September 08, 2020, 08:33:08 AM by The scissors of false economy »

I'm sorry to have somehow missed the big-brained galaxy warrior on the first page of this thread arguing for Kant as a proto-postmodernist and forerunner of muh (((Frankfurt School))). And implicitly for Marxism as a postmodern philosophy!! Woof.

Anyway, I stand by what I said in this thread in a few years ago--Confucianism is the canonical example of a religion-like philosophy, and some forms of mostly Western Buddhism arguably count, although the idea that Buddhism qua Buddhism is "a philosophy, not a religion!!!" just because it doesn't feature a creator God is literally a joke to most actual scholars of religion.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies