Should Twitter suspend Donald Trump's account?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:01:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should Twitter suspend Donald Trump's account?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Twitter suspend Donald Trump's account?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Should Twitter suspend Donald Trump's account?  (Read 1417 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2017, 02:25:38 PM »

As I understand it, Twitter has stated that they reserve the right to suspend anyone's account as they see fit. So my question is, would America be better off if Twitter just booted Trump off of their service? As a private company, they are not required to provide service to him, and it could be argued that his use of Twitter causes enough harm in various ways to warrant suspension.

A few for/against arguments I can see:

For:
1. Trump often uses Twitter to bully people, and even a single tweet directed at a random person can bring a lot of harassment and frustration to that individual.
2. His inability to stop venting on Twitter may have already caused him future legal problems, and probably will continue to do so.
3. His tweets contribute little more than headaches for the Republican Party.

Against:
1. Freedom of speech etc etc
2. The longer Trump tweets idiotic crap, the longer he keeps himself unpopular and hurts the GOP's brand.

Another question might be - would Trump and/or Republicans retaliate in some way against Twitter for such action?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 02:30:43 PM »

Theoretically yes, because it puts America at risk when he posts lies like "Obama wiretapped me!!!11" but it would backfire, potentially hard, so I guess not.
EnglishPete

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 02:40:33 PM »

Twitter is losing lots of money. Its moderation rules, as well as shadow banning, throttling, suppression of right wing trends and hashtags became notorious during the election. Twitter keeps a large conservative market despite this in part because Donald Trump keeps up both conservative interest and general interest in the platform. If they banned Trump then you would see a very large exodus from the platform to other platforms and twitter would become a SJW circle jerk as well as even more of a money pit than before whilst alternative platforms gained critical mass.

So yes, please twitter ban Donald Trump and soon you could be as great as MySpace.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 02:42:20 PM »

Never. How will he otherwise trigger media and liberals that made his win possible?

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 02:43:06 PM »

2. The longer Trump tweets idiotic crap, the longer he keeps himself unpopular and hurts the GOP's brand.

This !
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 03:33:30 PM »

He can't restrain himself from outbursts in 140 characters so by all means let him tweet and let the lawyers parse.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 03:46:41 PM »

You are defending the biggest crybaby we've ever had for a President.

You have nothing to gloat about, although you think you do.

Never. How will he otherwise trigger media and liberals that made his win possible?

I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 03:55:05 PM »

You are defending the biggest crybaby we've ever had for a President.

No puppet, no puppet. You are the puppet!
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 04:02:56 PM »

It would be hilarious, but it will never happen.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 04:13:54 PM »

Twitter shares would completely crash and the company would cease to exist. Don't be ridiculous
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 06:52:11 PM »

No. It is one of the most valuable tools we have against him.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 07:00:06 PM »

I swear as Nixon climbed the stairs to the helicopter and waved goodbye, you'd be saying "worth it for the liberal tears, lol."
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 09:14:04 AM »
« Edited: May 29, 2017, 09:15:58 AM by Sir Mohamed »

No. Freedom of speech should not be restricted. Drumpf is disgusting and an embarrassment to the office he currently holds, but suspending his account would go way too far.

But just imagine how he would react, if they do so. LOL. 
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 09:20:40 AM »

No way in hell - it's the president's vessel for communicating to the people, shutting it off is shutting down democracy. And he hasn't done anything to violate their Terms of Service, why bother?
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 11:25:15 AM »

This is a dangerous path to take. Not only will it rob Twitter of all credibility (left wing propaganda tag) for silencing right wing voices but this will become a way in the future to shut down dissidence, other sites will be encouraged & only 1 set of ideology maybe involved. Some day political parties will pay twitter to shut people down.

People don't have to descent to authoritarian theocratic regimes to oppose someone. This kind of hatred is troubling !
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 11:31:50 AM »

Twitter shares would completely crash and the company would cease to exist. Don't be ridiculous

A good reason to suspend the account.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 11:39:31 AM »

No. Even con men and bumbling clowns who masquerade as Presidents of countries have a right to free speech.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 11:43:50 AM »

No. Even con men and bumbling clowns who masquerade as Presidents of countries have a right to free speech.

Sure, but Twitter is under no obligation to give him the means exercise it using their service.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 11:48:37 AM »

Sure, but Twitter is under no obligation to give him the means exercise it using their service.

Still, I don't see them giving the President of the United States the shaft. I think Trump is too good for business.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2017, 12:01:35 PM »

He'd just move to another social media platform.
lordroel
Rookie
Netherlands

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2017, 01:52:43 PM »

As I understand it, Twitter has stated that they reserve the right to suspend anyone's account as they see fit. So my question is, would America be better off if Twitter just booted Trump off of their service? As a private company, they are not required to provide service to him, and it could be argued that his use of Twitter causes enough harm in various ways to warrant suspension.

A few for/against arguments I can see:

For:
1. Trump often uses Twitter to bully people, and even a single tweet directed at a random person can bring a lot of harassment and frustration to that individual.
2. His inability to stop venting on Twitter may have already caused him future legal problems, and probably will continue to do so.
3. His tweets contribute little more than headaches for the Republican Party.

Against:
1. Freedom of speech etc etc

Another question might be - would Trump and/or Republicans retaliate in some way against Twitter for such action?
And how are we suppose to get news from the White House, true Sean Spicer.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2017, 02:02:10 PM »

Yes (not a moderate hero)
EnglishPete

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2017, 02:42:52 PM »

Still, I don't see them giving the President of the United States the shaft. I think Trump is too good for business.
Twitter mods are famous for being ultra SJWs. Its not just the straightforward modding either. Its things like shadow banning, throttling, manipulation of trending hashtags and auto completes. Twitter mods have been manipulating their platform to favour left wing, SJW and anti Trump points of view for some time now. I'm sure they would have banned Trump if they could have got away with it. Trouble is that Twitter consistently loses money and banning Trump would only lead to that problem getting worse.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 07:55:38 AM »

Twitter mods are famous for being ultra SJWs. Its not just the straightforward modding either. Its things like shadow banning, throttling, manipulation of trending hashtags and auto completes. Twitter mods have been manipulating their platform to favour left wing, SJW and anti Trump points of view for some time now.

Overly dramatic much? Most of what's on twitter has nothing to do with politics.
EnglishPete

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 01:01:39 PM »

Twitter mods are famous for being ultra SJWs. Its not just the straightforward modding either. Its things like shadow banning, throttling, manipulation of trending hashtags and auto completes. Twitter mods have been manipulating their platform to favour left wing, SJW and anti Trump points of view for some time now.

Overly dramatic much? Most of what's on twitter has nothing to do with politics.
That doesn't alter the politically motivated shadow banning, throttling, manipulation of trending hashtags and auto completes etc. The management at Twitter clearly see it as a tool for promoting a SJW political agenda.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies