Two women on the Democratic ticket
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:52:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Two women on the Democratic ticket
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Two women on the Democratic ticket  (Read 953 times)
Progressive
jro660

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2017, 09:43:58 AM »

I was one of many Hillary supporters excited by the prospect of a Clinton/Warren ticket. Which two women do you think would make the strongest Democratic ticket (Prez/VP) in 2020?

TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 10:10:31 AM »

I'd say Harris, Warren, and Klobuchar in any combination.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 12:23:12 PM »

Klobuchar/ Harris is probably the strongest current all-female ticket.

There are stronger tickets we can imagine now that have at least one guy, but a lot is going to depend on things that happen in the next few years, as we see the impact of younger Senators, as well as the results of the various elections (a woman elected Governor in a key swing or conservative state could easily be a plausible choice for Vice President.)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 01:21:53 PM »

Oprah/Pocahontas or Oprah/Amy
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 02:11:34 PM »

Harris/Gillibrand
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 03:15:51 PM »

Clinton-Klobuchar
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 03:17:42 PM »

Gillibrand and Duckworth.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 03:28:34 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2017, 03:33:36 PM by Tintrlvr »

Harris/Klobuchar, but Gillibrand/Klobuchar or Gillibrand/Harris would work well, too. I think Elizabeth Warren has some problems on the ticket. Generally I think Charismatic/Wonky is the right combination, which makes Klobuchar a much better VP candidate than Presidential candidate, while Harris and Gillibrand are better speakers and also somewhat more novice (especially Harris) on the national stage.

Also, apropos of nothing but possibly indicative of subliminal thinking by voters, tickets where the VP is less experienced than the Presidential candidate have lost every election they've run in for quite a long time (Clinton/Kaine, Romney/Paul, McCain/Palin, Kerry/Edwards) whereas less experienced Pres/more experienced VP tickets have mostly won (Trump/Pence, Obama/Biden, Bush/Cheney, Clinton/Gore). The last subversion I can think of is Bush/Quayle v. Dukakis/Bentsen, and politics was quite different that long ago. Generally, I think voters prefer presidential candidates with relatively little experience, regardless of what they say in response to polls.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 03:36:01 PM »

Klobochar is not a strong candidate. Klobochar's niche is basically that she's Hillary except not married to a popular former President.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 03:51:28 PM »

Kate Brown/Tammy Duckworth
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 04:00:10 PM »

Gillibrand/Harris or Klobuchar/Harris are the obvious picks.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 06:16:04 PM »

Klobochar is not a strong candidate. Klobochar's niche is basically that she's Hillary except not married to a popular former President.

She also manages to have even less personal charisma than HRC. But in all seriousness, many of Klobuchar's policy positions are as close to HRC as possible - hawkish/interventionalist foreign policy, supportive of the intelligence apparatus and NSA, center-left economic platform, left on social issues. She's a lot of the things that Sanders' supporters didn't like about HRC with almost none of HRC's political advantages.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 05:52:28 PM »

She also manages to have even less personal charisma than HRC. But in all seriousness, many of Klobuchar's policy positions are as close to HRC as possible - hawkish/interventionalist foreign policy, supportive of the intelligence apparatus and NSA, center-left economic platform, left on social issues. She's a lot of the things that Sanders' supporters didn't like about HRC with almost none of HRC's political advantages.

I don't have any beef with her ideologically. I voted for her several times. She's pretty much a generic Democrat. She might even be able to win a national election if she were on the top of the ticket. I just question how she would ever get to the top of the ticket being so extremely boring.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 10:56:23 PM »

For a woman president, you need Hillary's charisma minus the Clinton last name. I just don't see anyone with any type of experience and electable political views that has this. Amy Klobuchar is probably as close as you will get but just doesn't have the charisma Hillary has.

As far as a VP goes, just someone who doesn't offend anyone. Maybe go with Maggie Hassan.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 12:14:54 AM »

Do people give a shi* about Klobuchar or Harris? Both look like mediocre duds with no appeal, passable as Senators & that's about it. Who can Warren chose as a VP? None of these 2 are anywhere near ready.

So I don't see 2 women on the ticket !
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 04:02:03 AM »

Please stop with Hillary already. She had her chance. Not her turn anymore.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 05:50:12 AM »

I could see Warren/Harris at best.  Klobuchar would likely be Warren's AG or SCOTUS pick.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 07:50:18 AM »

I don't have any beef with her ideologically. I voted for her several times. She's pretty much a generic Democrat. She might even be able to win a national election if she were on the top of the ticket. I just question how she would ever get to the top of the ticket being so extremely boring.

I think we're essentially driving at the same thing. Her "generic democrat-ness" in terms ideology would block many of the Sanders lane voters, while making it difficult to stand out in the establishment / moderate lane. Her record and her positions don't strike me as impressive enough to break out of a crowded primary. I do, of course, agree that this generic democrat-ness would be an asset in a general.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 10:00:27 AM »

Harris/McCaskill.

But unlikely anyway.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length