The Disappearance of Virtue From American Politics (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:26:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Disappearance of Virtue From American Politics (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you concur with Sen. Sasse's sentiments?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: The Disappearance of Virtue From American Politics  (Read 3714 times)
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« on: May 29, 2017, 04:16:54 PM »

I agree. I cannot imagine Jimmy Carter or Gerald Ford calling McCarthy voters "crazy" or the other side's voters "deplorable" or calling for the other candidate to be locked up. Carter took heat for telling Playboy he lusted in his heart. Trump bragged about what he could get away with as a celebrity, and we all know the result.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 04:45:08 PM »

It's the lack of virtue in our economic and intellectual elites that does the harm. The economic elites call for great sacrifices among people not within those elites -- for the indulgence of the economic elites. The intellectual elites offer depravity in mass culture. In the former one has the ethos of the worst possible rulers -- gangsters, tyrants, and feudal lords. We can all see where such leads.

The intellectual elites at their best bring out the best in ourselves. At the worst the intellectual elites either become enforcers of the economic exploiters of lead the masses to a celebration of primitive depravity. Maybe we get entertained but we also get soiled. 
The lack of virtue reaches beyond politics: it manifests itself in MLB players, who make millions of dollars per year, having bench-clearing brawls when someone is hit by a pitch (yes, I'm sure it's a low percentage, but it seems to happen a LOT these days). I posted about it in this Forum.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies