Who should be paid more: a soldier or a teacher? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:14:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Who should be paid more: a soldier or a teacher? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Skip
Soldier

Teacher

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Who should be paid more: a soldier or a teacher?  (Read 1376 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: May 30, 2017, 05:52:24 PM »

A teacher is about the most important job we can name, so that's how I voted.

Of course we ought to require them to get graduate degrees and we should do away with tenure (so the incompetent ones can be fired), but yeah I would think that a beginning, incoming public school teacher's salary should probably be about two or three times the salary of a beginning, incoming ensign (or second lieutenant's) salary.  Now, for those who stick with it, I think it should level out.  For example, I do not think that a teacher with 30 years experience should be paid more than a one-star Admiral/General salary.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 06:03:59 PM »

I was born rather late to my dad - when he was 33.

"born ... for"

You were "born to" your mother, "born for" your father.  (You can also apparently say "born of" when referring to your mother, as in "born of the Virgin...")

And not late.  My father was 30 when I was born, and I was 37 when my son was born, the average of 30 and 37 is 33.5, so 33 is pretty close to the average from my familial perspective.  I also have many colleagues who had their first child in their mid-30s.  It's called family planning.  Now that we know what causes pregnancy, we can exercise some control over it.  
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies