Where Should I Move? – A Guide For Millennials
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:54:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Where Should I Move? – A Guide For Millennials  (Read 1413 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2017, 04:21:34 AM »

I had never heard of Growella before, but upon reviewing their methodology, their listing, and comparing it to the extensive research that I have conducted into this subject, I believe their methodology has come closest to revealing the most accurate results. Of course, people will debate whether their methodology is correct and whether X or Y city is good or bad. There will be disagreements, but I am convinced that, of the "recent grads should move here" articles circulating currently, this one is the most reliable.

Here are their criteria...

1. How many entry-level jobs are available in the city? (7.5% of score)
2. How much time is spent commuting in the city? (7.5% of score)
3. What’s the public transportation situation like in the city? (10% of score)
4. How many other young people live there? (15% of score)
5. What’s the after-work and weekend scene like in the city? (10% of score)
6. How far does a paycheck get you in the city? (50% of score)

You can click on the link to explore this more in-depth. Personally, I would like to see the job availability criterion increased as a share of the score, since 7.5% seems far too low.

And here are the results. These are the A rated cities (top 22 of 100 listed in the article)...

01. Durham, NC (A)
02. Pittsburgh, PA (A)
03. Nashville, TN (A)
04. Des Moines, IA (A)
05. Charlotte, NC (A)
06. Syracuse, NY (A)
07. Columbus, OH (A)
08. Austin, TX (A)
09. Greenville, SC (A)
10. Houston, TX (A)
11. Albany, NY (A)
12. Dallas, TX (A)
13. Indianapolis, IN (A)
14. Harrisburg, PA (A-)
15. Fayetteville, AR (A-)
16. Cincinnati, OH (A-)
17. St. Louis, MO (A-)
18. Lubbock, TX (A-)
19. Gainesville, FL (A-)
20. Omaha, NE (A-)
21. Corpus Christi, TX (A-)
22. Raleigh, NC (A-)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 09:11:00 PM »

I could be living in Durham right now if I'd made a different choice two years ago. Part of me still wonders if it was the right choice, but my California pride is enough to mitigate things.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 11:09:47 PM »

I couldn't care less about at least four of those six criteria.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 11:14:04 PM »

I'm content with living in NOVA.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 11:55:29 PM »

I am content with moving from Illinois to Oakland
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 12:20:46 AM »

That "how many young people" and the weekend scene receive double the weight in the scoring over public transit and job availability makes this basically garbage.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 01:09:12 AM »

Albany is the only one of those cities I'd even consider living in for any length of time.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 08:17:57 AM »

I'm not living CA or the Southwest. I can't deal with your cold winters and/or humidity.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 08:22:08 AM »

I'm not living CA or the Southwest. I can't deal with your cold winters and/or humidity.

The majority of Americans disagree with you.  But, the midwest is nice too.  Most Americans are moving to FL, TX, and CA as well as CO and NV.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 08:39:31 AM »

Number 5 is alright, I guess.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 02:20:45 PM »

01. Durham, NC (A)
02. Pittsburgh, PA (A)
03. Nashville, TN (A)
04. Des Moines, IA (A)
05. Charlotte, NC (A)
06. Syracuse, NY (A)
07. Columbus, OH (A)
08. Austin, TX (A)
09. Greenville, SC (A)

10. Houston, TX (A)
11. Albany, NY (A)
12. Dallas, TX (A)
13. Indianapolis, IN (A)
14. Harrisburg, PA (A-)
16. Cincinnati, OH (A-)
17. St. Louis, MO (A-)
18. Lubbock, TX (A-)
19. Gainesville, FL (A-)
20. Omaha, NE (A-)
22. Raleigh, NC (A-)

These cities are currently on my list of "where to look for jobs" after school, with Atlanta, Birmingham and Memphis also notably making the cut.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 05:38:05 PM »

01. Durham, NC (A)
02. Pittsburgh, PA (A)
03. Nashville, TN (A)
04. Des Moines, IA (A)
05. Charlotte, NC (A)
06. Syracuse, NY (A)
07. Columbus, OH (A)
08. Austin, TX (A)
09. Greenville, SC (A)

10. Houston, TX (A)
11. Albany, NY (A)
12. Dallas, TX (A)
13. Indianapolis, IN (A)
14. Harrisburg, PA (A-)
16. Cincinnati, OH (A-)
17. St. Louis, MO (A-)
18. Lubbock, TX (A-)
19. Gainesville, FL (A-)
20. Omaha, NE (A-)
22. Raleigh, NC (A-)

These cities are currently on my list of "where to look for jobs" after school, with Atlanta, Birmingham and Memphis also notably making the cut.

From what I know, Birmingham seems to not have a very strong economy at the moment. Alabama, outside of a few places, such as Huntsville, has been rather stagnant economically. You may want to add Huntsville to your list; it has a very high standard of living and lots of good jobs.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 07:01:46 PM »

Er... What?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 11:12:41 PM »

Er... What?

I mean, there are a few days in the winter when we fall below 15C. That counts as cold to me.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 03:17:41 AM »

Er... What?

I mean, there are a few days in the winter when we fall below 15C. That counts as cold to me.

H... how? Confused

To be fair, anything over 25c is too hot for me and I will not even go outside over 30c. I'm just naturally a cold lover, I guess. Seattle would be perfect for me. I'm surprised you don't want to relocate to Miami.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 04:44:08 AM »

I am surprised St. Louis is on there.

But the area does have a low cost of living, solid job market and does well in outdoor recreational activities for a midwestern city so it makes sense.

The main cons of St. Louis are:

1) Crime. It is fairly isolated but it certainly exists and its horrid in some areas.

2) Gets very humid in the summer. An advantage for me but a disadvantage for most people.

3) The mass transit just plain sucks.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 08:48:31 AM »

Why doesn't this article describe how I can get a New Zealand work visa?

https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/node/613?gclid=COOj7Lymn9QCFcWKswodV_8F9A&gclsrc=aw.ds
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 10:52:04 AM »

Guys, I think Devout Centrist meant "leaving".
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 11:22:17 AM »

Er... What?

H... how? Confused

To be fair, anything over 25c is too hot for me and I will not even go outside over 30c. I'm just naturally a cold lover, I guess. Seattle would be perfect for me. I'm surprised you don't want to relocate to Miami.

I'm with tony on this one. It really has to be above 30c for me to even start getting uncomfortably hot, and even then I would still take 35c over 5c. I also need sunlight, so Seattle just would not work for me.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 01:53:35 PM »

Er... What?

H... how? Confused

I'm with tony on this one. It really has to be above 30c for me to even start getting uncomfortably hot, and even then I would still take 35c over 5c. I also need sunlight, so Seattle just would not work for me.

I don't mind it around 25-30 if it's really dry, but that's a rarity here in Florida. I'd certainly take 5 over 35 any day; and I haven't spent any notable amount of time out in the sun in idek how long. Sunbelt states are such a poor fit for me, honestly. But I wouldn't want to deal with massive snowstorms all winter long either. That basically leaves the PNW.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 02:09:39 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2017, 02:11:14 PM by Da-Jon »

I wouldn't move otherwise than IL, CA, NY, CO, NV, VA or FL.  These states are socially entitlement states, which rely heavily on social program spending on minorities, if one has economically depressed families or need government suppliment.  At a time of need. Not for the rest of your life.  But, help out Seniors, as well.

NC, PA, MO, forget about them, they are mostly for the working class.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 02:20:13 PM »

Er... What?

H... how? Confused

I don't mind it around 25-30 if it's really dry, but that's a rarity here in Florida. I'd certainly take 5 over 35 any day; and I haven't spent any notable amount of time out in the sun in idek how long. Sunbelt states are such a poor fit for me, honestly. But I wouldn't want to deal with massive snowstorms all winter long either. That basically leaves the PNW.

It is worth noting that I have only ever lived in places that are on the dryer side, so I really can't be sure what my temperature preferences would be in a more humid climate.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 02:28:26 PM »

Er... What?

I get cold easily, so I wear a light jacket when the temperature is between 12-20 C°. It was awful a winter 3-5 years ago here when for a week or two the temperature stayed around -10 C°.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 03:05:55 PM »

Er... What?

H... how? Confused

It is worth noting that I have only ever lived in places that are on the dryer side, so I really can't be sure what my temperature preferences would be in a more humid climate.

Trust me, it makes an enormous difference. Spring was very dry here, which is pretty abnormal, and it really didn't feel too bad on days that reached 30 - especially just after peak heat. But this past week the humidity has returned and, at the same temperature, it's completely intolerable. The air gets very thick, you can feel it on your skin and when you breathe. Overnight during summer, I can hear the humidity dripping off the trees without any rain and when the sun comes up, it quickly rises to 30 with a very little breeze here away from the coast and soon as you step outside, your skin gets moist. It's not pleasant.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2017, 08:37:40 PM »

Yeah, hot weather can get awful when it's very humid. It can get like that in Southern Italy where I go every summer, and it was like that when I traveled to the East Coast last summer. Thankfully California is surprisingly dry for being on the ocean.

Still, give me 30C with humidity any day over anything below 20C.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies