Should 16-year-olds have the right to drop out of school?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:44:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should 16-year-olds have the right to drop out of school?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Should 16-year-olds have the right to drop out of school?  (Read 1735 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 03:36:12 PM »

Interesting that Republicans seem to be saying yes and Democrats (with the exception of myself) seem to be saying no.

I agree with no. If the students don't want to continue, let them. If they're just sitting there doing nothing not caring, that's an inefficiency of tax dollars.
Indeed, why would anybody think it's a good idea to spend our tax dollars on people who don't want them?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2017, 03:59:52 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2017, 04:03:56 PM by Blue3 »

Well, the counter is the "disconnected youth rate."

That's the percentage of people aged 16-24 who have no job, no school, no internship/apprenticeship, etc. They're just disconnected. And being disconnected at that age doesn't just lead to higher rates of crime, it also makes it less likely for those people to ever get a job in the future.

The problem is, there's not enough opportunities for all those students, or they don't have the skills for all the openings.

The disconnected youth rate is 10-20% in my hometown, and that's not that bad compared to other areas where it can be much, much, higher.

On the other hand, forcing kids to stay in school who are disruptive or put in no effort is not helpful.

My boss in a former job wanted us to make sure this student was able to graduate... and he couldn't do borrowing in subtraction in most cases, and had trouble multiplying beyond the 4's table. In 11th grade. But schools need to show they have a high graduation rate. What we need to do is hold more kids back and fight the stigma of it, even if it means hiring more teachers and opening more schools which will cost more money. When 2% of 12th grades are considered proficient in math according to state standardized testing (which is thankfully being scrapped here), there's a problem. Yes, a problem with the test too, but come on, there's a problem with the education system too.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 04:22:57 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2017, 06:59:52 PM by darklordoftech »

Interesting that Republicans seem to be saying yes and Democrats (with the exception of myself) seem to be saying no.
the left is often authoritarian.  They know what's good for you.  You're just an idiot that can't look out for himself and they are very willing to use the force (read:violence) of the state to make you do what they know is best for you.

If the Democrats had their way, being unsupervised by adults before your 21st birthday would be illegal and you'd get the death penalty for underage drinking.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 04:32:36 PM »

Only if more can be done encourage trade-building at that age.

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2017, 06:14:55 PM »

Yes, but under conditions. Personally, I believe dropping out should only be allowed if the person in question has arranfed to undertake an apprenticeship somwhere.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2017, 07:36:50 PM »

Yes. It doesn't affect our education system at large - essentially only the failures do it, 99% of average or better students stay for the final two years - so not much harm really.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2017, 07:41:41 PM »

Yes. It doesn't affect our education system at large - essentially only the failures do it, 99% of average or better students stay for the final two years - so not much harm really.
Also, if they wanted to drop out at 16, chances are that they'll also want to drop out at 18, and they can always get a GED.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2017, 07:05:20 PM »

I agree with no. If the students don't want to continue, let them. If they're just sitting there doing nothing not caring, that's an inefficiency of tax dollars.
I wonder if those who think students should be forbidden from dropping out also support free college. There's no logic in wanting to spend tax dollars on those who don't want it yet oppose spending tax dollars on those who do want it.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2017, 02:31:30 PM »

Maybe have the limit be a certain number of years of schooling, rather than a certain age--it doesn't seem fair that how much school one is legally required to attend depends on when one's birthday is in the year. Maybe everyone should have to attend at least five years of school post-6th grade, unless they can graduate early.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2017, 05:05:50 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2017, 05:07:56 PM by DavidB. »

No. The State has a responsibility to provide a complete education to all its citizens.
Exactly. In the Netherlands you have to be in school until you're 18 unless you graduate from the highest or second highest level of high school before you turn 18. This, I think, is sensible policy.

For a lot of kids being in school after 16 just doesn't work anymore, though, so there has to be the possibility to actually start working or do internships within the framework of an education program.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies