Do left-liberals neglect the importance of families? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:53:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do left-liberals neglect the importance of families? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See question in thread title.
Yes

No

Other (explain)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: Do left-liberals neglect the importance of families?  (Read 1635 times)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« on: May 30, 2017, 09:00:23 PM »

A bit. Liberals need to fight harder for issues like subsidizing surrogate mothers for gay couples and allowing same-sex couples to adopt children.

Government paying mothers to give their children to someone else is a perfect example of neglecting the importance of family.   Privileging funding for child care outside the home over supporting parents in caring for children at home is a less extreme example of this.

Creating families is a perfect example of neglecting the importance of family?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 10:45:28 AM »

From my socially conservative standpoint, the left's problem isn't ignoring families, it's promoting a very narrow vision of what a family is. One gets the impression from many left-liberal activists that the ideal family has 1-2 kids, lives in a city, and has both parents working full time.

For example, almost all the family/childcare policy I've heard from the centre left lately is based around making paid childcare more affordable and increasing female labour force participation. The mother who wants to stay home or work part time or have four kids is ignored. Similar themes are found in urban planning. I agree car culture has run amok as the next liberal, but I can't quite shake the notion that for some leftish folks that we're all supposed to live in 1 bedroom condos in downtown highrises.

I find this very interesting, since I imagine most socially liberal people would say the same thing about social conservatives.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies