Is it wrong that Comedy Central plays the South Park movie unedited?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:21:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is it wrong that Comedy Central plays the South Park movie unedited?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Is it wrong that Comedy Central plays the South Park movie unedited?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Is it wrong that Comedy Central plays the South Park movie unedited?  (Read 5673 times)
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2005, 07:34:06 PM »

No one's mentioned that they only air the uncensored version from 1-3 AM, so I have no problem with it. I remember the first time they aired the movie, it was awesome that a cable station took such a risky step since the response could have been as bad as the Superbowl "wardrobe malfunction". Since its on in the middle of the night though, the prudes don't seem to care.

Yes Pym having standards is "prudish". Why should the children of the US have to be exposed to the tits of some lousy skank?
So you're against breast feeding now or something?

Censorship is uncapitalistic. And they don't "Have to" be exposed to it, as television, as you may know, is a priveledge, not a right.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2005, 12:15:15 AM »

No one's mentioned that they only air the uncensored version from 1-3 AM, so I have no problem with it. I remember the first time they aired the movie, it was awesome that a cable station took such a risky step since the response could have been as bad as the Superbowl "wardrobe malfunction". Since its on in the middle of the night though, the prudes don't seem to care.

Yes Pym having standards is "prudish". Why should the children of the US have to be exposed to the tits of some lousy skank?

Censorship is uncapitalistic. And they don't "Have to" be exposed to it, as television, as you may know, is a priveledge, not a right.

What the hell does breast feeding have to do with it? Nothing.

Anyways on a PUBLIC TV station their absolutely should be content standards. Especially since the federal government holds the liscense to the airwaves for these stations. Therefore the government has the right to set the rules as to what is shown on these stations. Just as if you lived in an apartment and the landlord said "No Dogs", now if you went against that and brought a dog home the owner would certainly have the right to throw you out.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2005, 12:46:20 AM »

here, we have reasonably strict cencorship up till 10pm, on free to air. I've seem some pretty disturbing things at 10:01 pm; from OZ to Big Brother uncut (ugh) and many many sex scenes. Nothing R-rated, but every but can be played after 10 until, iirc, 5. Normally from 3-onwards it's just infomercials, anyway.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2005, 01:31:50 AM »

Anyways on a PUBLIC TV station their absolutely should be content standards. Especially since the federal government holds the liscense to the airwaves for these stations. Therefore the government has the right to set the rules as to what is shown on these stations. Just as if you lived in an apartment and the landlord said "No Dogs", now if you went against that and brought a dog home the owner would certainly have the right to throw you out.
1. You said "Why should the children of the US have to be exposed to the tits of some lousy skank?". That part was intended as a joke.

2. Once again, you're forgetting that television is a priveledge, not a right. The government should not control the airwaves either. You're acting as if everybody has no choice but to watch tv.

And yes, the landlord would have the right to through me out. But the government is not a person or business.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2005, 12:13:35 AM »

1. You said "Why should the children of the US have to be exposed to the tits of some lousy skank?". That part was intended as a joke.

2. Once again, you're forgetting that television is a priveledge, not a right. The government should not control the airwaves either. You're acting as if everybody has no choice but to watch tv.

And yes, the landlord would have the right to through me out. But the government is not a person or business.

The government holds leases to the airwaves therefore they control the airwaves. Maybe they shouldn't, I don't know but sadly it's not that way. Well my point is that although no one is FORCED to turn on the tv and watch it public channels are still on the air and COULD be viewed by a younger audience therefore their should be proper regulations to suit.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2005, 12:18:49 AM »

The government holds leases to the airwaves therefore they control the airwaves. Maybe they shouldn't, I don't know but sadly it's not that way. Well my point is that although no one is FORCED to turn on the tv and watch it public channels are still on the air and COULD be viewed by a younger audience therefore their should be proper regulations to suit.
Could is always a possibility. But that's what the problem is with the government forcing tvs to have those stupid V-Chips in them. Imagine if there where no regulations. Don't you think parents who don't want their kids watching tv but still buy one would give a little extra money for a tv with a V-Chip, rather than having the government be America's nanny?
ThadK
Katnip
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2005, 12:28:28 AM »

It's wrong that there's so many commercials during it.  And everything else Comedy Central plays.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2005, 08:29:27 AM »
« Edited: August 12, 2005, 08:31:40 AM by Storebought »

..Or two prostitutes and a transsexual dry-humping on HBO-2

But it is cable, a service that (1) brings its own specialized equipment for use (2) requires monthly billing or otherwise disconnection. A concerned parent can avoid the trannies simply by not paying for it.
RingDestruction

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2005, 08:59:49 AM »

I see no problem with airing the South Park movie uncensored, though I was surprised when I first heard the F word used. I do think that it should only be aired at night and not at say, 3 in the afternoon.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2005, 09:00:55 AM »

I see no problem with airing the South Park movie uncensored, though I was surprised when I first heard the F word used. I do think that it should only be aired at night and not at say, 3 in the afternoon.

They tend to air it at 11pm or midnight, so they follow that rule. Frankly though, I'm fine with them airing it in the middle of the day - it's cable, so the government has no business in it.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2005, 09:57:20 AM »

They tend to air it at 11pm or midnight, so they follow that rule. Frankly though, I'm fine with them airing it in the middle of the day - it's cable, so the government has no business in it.

That might be true, but they don't want to lose their viewing base either, so they naturally sensor themselves (which is the socially responsible thing to do).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2005, 11:06:51 AM »

ha, you think people would quit watching Comedy Central if they played it in the afternoon?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2005, 11:54:15 AM »

ha, you think people would quit watching Comedy Central if they played it in the afternoon?

I can bet you the parents would block the channel on their cable boxes if they knew that they were airing obscene material during time where child viewing is high, unlike showing it after 10pm at night when child viewing is low.  So yes, they would lose viewership.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2005, 01:00:19 PM »

That might be true, but they don't want to lose their viewing base either, so they naturally sensor themselves (which is the socially responsible thing to do).

Their viewing base is primarily adults I think, so I doubt they'd lose their base.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2005, 02:14:31 PM »

Their viewing base is primarily adults I think, so I doubt they'd lose their base.

To that extent, I do not know.  Anyone have any statistics on who their viewers are during the day?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2005, 02:32:11 PM »

I wonder what the intolerant prudes here think of the fact that Comedy Central frequently plays the movie completely unedited leaving all the swearing in (including that great and hilarious Terrance and Phillip "Unclef ucker" song) If it pisses them off, good.

oh, yeah.  end of civilization as we know it.

actually, it's probably a greater wrong that anyone would spend nine dollars to watch that crap.  I waited for a friend to buy the DVD and just borrowed it.  But I'm cheap like that.  I must say it was a tad disappointing, in the way that Mission Impossible:  The Movie was.  I guess you just can't take half-hour show and expect to make a decent movie out of it.  but then since when have movies had to be good to make money?  There's quite a bit of low-brow sh**t out there making a killing at the box office.  Suffice it to say that five hundred years from now when middle-school students are studying the great works of art from our culture and times, the way we study Shakespeare and the Bible, South Park will probably not be in the Required Reading list.  My money's on The Simpson's.  Let's hope that those jackasses at Fox don't ruin it by trying to make a two-hour movie out of it.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2005, 08:05:31 PM »

Damn, someone ruined the poll.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2005, 09:51:30 PM »

not me.  I've neither voted nor looked at the results.  not that this should be any surprise, given my oft-posted attitude toward polls and pollsters.

besides, how is it possible to actually ruin a straw poll, particularly one in this vein and originated by this particular poster.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2005, 09:56:03 PM »

States I'm against censorship when its applied to adults. I'm sick of everything in this society being dependent on the needs of children. Doesn't anyone care about adults without kids? Why should I have to pay $4 to rent the South Park Movie (not that I would) just b/c some kid somewhere at sometime might see the movie also? Its the job of the parent to monitor or decide what they see on television, if they're too lazy to do that then it shouldn't spoil entertainment for other grown ups.

And its ironic that a champion of conservative values such as yourself who usually seems against government intervention suddenly does a 180 and now wants federal laws banning certain things on TV and movies. There shouldn't be too many rules in a free market economy on what isn't allowable on TV, its the citizen's job to discriminate in programing, not the government's.
RingDestruction

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2005, 10:52:39 PM »

I can bet you the parents would block the channel on their cable boxes if they knew that they were airing obscene material during time where child viewing is high, unlike showing it after 10pm at night when child viewing is low.  So yes, they would lose viewership.
Not to mention Comedy Central would get sued by about a million soccer moms.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2005, 12:16:27 AM »

States I'm against censorship when its applied to adults. I'm sick of everything in this society being dependent on the needs of children. Doesn't anyone care about adults without kids? Why should I have to pay $4 to rent the South Park Movie (not that I would) just b/c some kid somewhere at sometime might see the movie also? Its the job of the parent to monitor or decide what they see on television, if they're too lazy to do that then it shouldn't spoil entertainment for other grown ups.

And its ironic that a champion of conservative values such as yourself who usually seems against government intervention suddenly does a 180 and now wants federal laws banning certain things on TV and movies. There shouldn't be too many rules in a free market economy on what isn't allowable on TV, its the citizen's job to discriminate in programing, not the government's.

Nope. You are not getting what I am saying at all. I don't really care that much about censorship but my point is. If the government leases the airwaves to private stations then doesn't the government have the right to set the rules of that lease? And like I said before I'm not for censorship of cable television in general.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2005, 05:18:51 PM »

Nope. You are not getting what I am saying at all. I don't really care that much about censorship but my point is. If the government leases the airwaves to private stations then doesn't the government have the right to set the rules of that lease? And like I said before I'm not for censorship of cable television in general.

I wasn't aware that basic cable stations had any obligations to the government. I thought the FCC decency rules and other regulations only applied to Broadcast networks. Maybe someone else here knows more about who owns the airwaves, so to speak.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies