Why did WV vote for Bernie in the Democratic primary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:39:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  Why did WV vote for Bernie in the Democratic primary?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why did WV vote for Bernie in the Democratic primary?  (Read 6754 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2017, 05:24:21 PM »

WV be like:

White woman > black man
White man > white woman

I wonder who a black woman could win against...

A gay white man

A gay white man against a Muslim would be very interesting in WV.

If it means anything, the gay white male Democratic Senate candidate in Kentucky (mayor of Lexington) easily outperformed Hillary in that state last cycle.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2017, 10:28:01 PM »

Apropos of nothing, I really need to stop mentally making a note to read NOVA Green's excellent posts and work later because they're so long but full of details and rich in content but I don't have the time to dig into them. I need to just spend a day or two reading his post history.

Thank you good Sir....

I recognize that one of my greatest weaknesses on Atlas is a lack of brevity, and one of my stronger areas involve frequently excessively long and complicated posts, that may or may not add value to the Forum (Outside of a few select areas)....

So, WV is a lot more than just Coal, but rather the part of a massive historical supply-chain the combined the strength of Coal as an Energy Resource from Union Mines in Appalachia, combined with Iron Ore from Union Mines of the Iron Range, mixed into the Union forges of places like Pittsburgh, to then head to the Union Auto Plants of Michigan.

This was a seminal work that I first read some 20 years ago about the Steel Industry, which I strongly recommend to anyone that has not yet read, and still sits proudly on my bookshelf.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctt7zw9tb

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/john-p-hoerr/and-the-wolf-finally-came-the-decline-of-the-am/

https://www.amazon.com/Wolf-Finally-Came-American-Pittsburgh/dp/0822953986

(Hate to promote a Monopoly organization, let alone promote any one place to buy a book vs another, but sure all of y'all know tons of alternate options of where to buy books on the internet) Smiley

So--- would highly recommend this work for those have you that haven't had the experience, and suddenly the relationships between Coal, Steel, and Auto sectors start to make a ton more sense, rather than the whole deal about the hyper-excessive "environmentalist vs jobs" false dichotomy that is way too prevalent on this topic.

Sorry--- been there done the whole jobs vs environment deal thing before, and whatever administration of whatever Party is in power in the Executive and Congressional branches owes WV and Coal Mining Communities in the US a giant "Thank You", not to mention a massive investment of capital into repairing rural communities that won us WW II, fueled the post-war boom in manufacturing, gets hit with "Black Lung" that has killed 100,000s of American Coal Miners in Appalachia, and then gets sidelined under Dem and Rep Presidential Administrations alike over the decades, and just less than a year ago agreed to help fund the costs of Black Lung to this day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhdMRsPQryM

Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2017, 11:03:23 PM »

Lots of voters in the primary who were Trump supporters and socially conservative democrats voted for Bernie because they found out they were registered democrats and couldn't vote in the GOP primary but decided they wanted to make a message by voting for Bernie.

I think this is the most plausible explanation
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2017, 03:05:45 AM »

Lots of voters in the primary who were Trump supporters and socially conservative democrats voted for Bernie because they found out they were registered democrats and couldn't vote in the GOP primary but decided they wanted to make a message by voting for Bernie.

Arkansas kind of hurts that argument.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2017, 09:54:23 AM »

Apropos of nothing, I really need to stop mentally making a note to read NOVA Green's excellent posts and work later because they're so long but full of details and rich in content but I don't have the time to dig into them. I need to just spend a day or two reading his post history.

Thank you good Sir....

I recognize that one of my greatest weaknesses on Atlas is a lack of brevity, and one of my stronger areas involve frequently excessively long and complicated posts, that may or may not add value to the Forum (Outside of a few select areas)....

So, WV is a lot more than just Coal, but rather the part of a massive historical supply-chain the combined the strength of Coal as an Energy Resource from Union Mines in Appalachia, combined with Iron Ore from Union Mines of the Iron Range, mixed into the Union forges of places like Pittsburgh, to then head to the Union Auto Plants of Michigan.

This was a seminal work that I first read some 20 years ago about the Steel Industry, which I strongly recommend to anyone that has not yet read, and still sits proudly on my bookshelf.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctt7zw9tb

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/john-p-hoerr/and-the-wolf-finally-came-the-decline-of-the-am/

https://www.amazon.com/Wolf-Finally-Came-American-Pittsburgh/dp/0822953986

(Hate to promote a Monopoly organization, let alone promote any one place to buy a book vs another, but sure all of y'all know tons of alternate options of where to buy books on the internet) Smiley

So--- would highly recommend this work for those have you that haven't had the experience, and suddenly the relationships between Coal, Steel, and Auto sectors start to make a ton more sense, rather than the whole deal about the hyper-excessive "environmentalist vs jobs" false dichotomy that is way too prevalent on this topic.

Sorry--- been there done the whole jobs vs environment deal thing before, and whatever administration of whatever Party is in power in the Executive and Congressional branches owes WV and Coal Mining Communities in the US a giant "Thank You", not to mention a massive investment of capital into repairing rural communities that won us WW II, fueled the post-war boom in manufacturing, gets hit with "Black Lung" that has killed 100,000s of American Coal Miners in Appalachia, and then gets sidelined under Dem and Rep Presidential Administrations alike over the decades, and just less than a year ago agreed to help fund the costs of Black Lung to this day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhdMRsPQryM

Your contributions to this forum are outstanding. Will check out that book!
wildviper121
Rookie
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2018, 02:07:44 AM »

Clinton legacy in Arkansas. Bill Clinton won Arkansas 54-37 in 1996. Can also see in 2008 primaries, where HRC also won Arkansas.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2018, 11:21:01 AM »

Clinton legacy in Arkansas. Bill Clinton won Arkansas 54-37 in 1996. Can also see in 2008 primaries, where HRC also won Arkansas.

More importantly, the GOP primary had more voters than the Democratic primary in Arkansas for the first time ever.  A lot of your "Bernie protest voter" types were probably voting in the open GOP primary, whereas in 2008 they weren't.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2018, 03:47:34 PM »

Though it's interesting that Hillary won Tennessee by the about the same amount she won Arkansas.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2018, 04:27:24 PM »

West Virginia has always been a heavily unionized and protectionist state.  Sam reason why he won such a huge upset in Michigan, despite being behind by as much as 40 percent in some polls.

I'd say it's somewhat of a mixture of the above, some of it being strictly protest & some of it being a positive response to his populist straight talk.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2019, 04:52:45 PM »

Because it's extremely working class.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies